Skip to Content

The Gathering Place

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

The Gathering Place

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:15 am

Morning all.

The kettle is singing, the tea/coffee/milk/cream/rusks are waiting.

The Cradle can look rather lush in Autumn, even though the early morning chill has well set in.

I had a super time with my in laws to be. Lots of good and yummy foods to eat. 8)

My daughter also found my camera battery... :dance: :dance: :dance: the one that I had emptied cupboards trying to find. Now I can start to download a few more piccies and take some Autumn pictures. I missed a blood red sunset a couple of nights ago.

I do wish you all a fab day. :gflower:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: The Forum Waterhole

Unread post by billyf » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:35 am

Good morning mites, wishing you all a lovely day :gflower:

Thanks Ms Mouse for the lovely coffee and rusks from the cradle, the perfect start to the day :thumbs_up:
Had a lovely lunch with the kids really preparing a super meal, and an Easter Egg hunt afterwards.

Stampie, its amazing what grannies will do to entertain the grandies, hope the derriere is not too tender today :lol:

Sedoos blowing at the moment. and the temp set to rise significantly today. Not good news for the gardens or the level of the dams :roll: Roads will be busy with holiday makers returning home, so be safe :pray:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:13 am

Morning all. Arrived back home from 10 amazing nights in Kruger. I have to admit, I was looking forward to a bit of a lie in this morning :redface: but I am obviously still on "Kruger time " because I am wide awake! I wonder if it will be this easy to wake up tomorrow when I have to go back to work!

Enjoy your public holiday!

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:27 am

A wonderful good post-Easter-Sunday-morn to all the no-doubt exhausted mites after their attempts at relaxation. :D

MM, I see all is blowing well with you these days, and it is indeed such a blessing to be waking up in the Cradle's beauty and ambience every morning. :gflower:

Billy, did you also use a few muscles that lay dormant for a while? Great to get the blood coursing on such happy pursuits. :dance: Looking at that sout'easter, I always laugh when I see it said as sedoos as I often imagine how embarrassing it good be mispronouncing it. :wink:

Karin, I'm always jealous when I hear people returning from a fab trip to Kruger, but that just means I'm all the more excited to be planning my next. It's wonderful that you're still on Kruger time, so don't rush the lie-ins, but always enjoy what nature gives, especially around dawn. E-A-S-E back into city life: it's not the worth the rush. :gflower:

Have a great week ahead, everyone, and enjoy the last day of the long weekend for all it's worth!
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Foxy
FAC Member (2016)

Re: The Gathering Place

Unread post by Foxy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:51 am

Good morning everyone

Rather chilly early this morning but the sun is breaking through the clouds now.

Hope you all had a good weekend.

Have a great day.

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:50 am

Morning all and sunny and cool here at the moment though I have a feeling it will be hot later.Sedoos is blowing too
11 oclock tea will be held at Mouses place as it still looks green and lush and I will be able to give Desi a real cuddle
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stampajane » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:05 am

Good morning all.
It's sunny here, too but that wind with a nip to it is still blowing. I love this fresh autumn air.

Mom has her shopping list all ready for me but the rest of the family has gone to play mashie.

See you all at 11 at MM's with her wide open spaces and her much loved doggies and kitties.

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:45 am

Morning all the Marvellous Mites
Today is sunny and fresh! I needed to get a load of washing done and do some vacuuming,dusting,general clean this morning before too much Forum time.Luckily hubby has been at home this whole long weekend which has been great.Tomorrow the factory reverts back to 3 shifts and first standby coming up this next weekend.. :(
Hope you all have had a fantastic time with family and friends and Karin great too hear that you enjoyed your Kruger trip so much.Will be thinking of you tomorrow morning...back to work. :o :o Also looking forward to your a Travel Report.

RIght I am warming up the engines for the flight to MM's Cradle for 11 o clock tea.See you there :thumbs_up:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

billyf

Unread post by billyf » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:46 am

On my way to the Cradle, are there any nice eats to have with the tea ??? :D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

dellac
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by dellac » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Ah Cradle ... Now I know where that is so I'll be along in a minute for my LATE elevenses :angel: :angel: ... All you folks saying how cold you are spare a thought for me I get excited if it gets to double figures :roll: :roll: .. It's been okay(ish) this weekend I think we got to 14 at one point :lol: :lol: .. Today it's overcast so not sure what I'll be up to ... Have. Great Monday all :k
berg-en-dal17/2 ... Biyamati 18/19 .. Satara 20/2 .. Shimuwini 21/22 .. Satara 23/24 ..berg-en-dal 25/02
Addo 3/4 March
LS 10/11/03 .. Satara 12/13/.. Letaba 14th .. Talamati 15/16 . Berg-en-dal 17th..:

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:25 pm

A very good Afternoon everyone!
late today, we met up with son and DIL for a brekkie at the new mall, did a bit of shopping and then dashed home as I had to make a milk tart for a friend from Oz who we are having dinner with tonight!

Beautiful day here today!

Sorry I missed tea at the cradle! :doh:

Do all have a marvelous Monday and week. :thumbs_up:
Kruger - 22nd May to 8th June 2017 8)

Cape of Storms
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2015)

Unread post by Cape of Storms » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:37 pm

Morning. Almost missed our new thread here at the gathering place. I guess it changes every now and then? Girls back to school today so some sad faces when I wake them up later. Finally a really warm and sunny day yesterday so kids got to be outside exploring. My husband decided that skateboarding with the girls would be a great new idea. So far they love it. Let's hope no big falls come their way. Hope you are all having a good weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Trip Report July 2015 African Sky Blue, Will you bless my life?

It will be two years since our last visit, 2017 Trip is booked 8)
24 Jul BnD
25-27 Jul Biyamiti
27-31 Jul Orpen
31 Jul - 2 August Shimiwini
2-4 Aug Satara
4-7 Aug Olifants

chirinda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by chirinda » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:39 pm

I guess most of us are having a very lazy day today. Well a not-at-work day, anyway, most of us.

I've had a lazy weekend altogether. Went to friends for lunch yesterday, and we had a good visiting preacher at church for Friday and Sunday, I even went to the Sunday evening church which I don't often do.

:wall: :wall: I see Eskom is up to their nonsense again, our power was off an hour this afternoon, just when my bread was half done. I left it in the oven and fortunately the power came back spot on one hour after it went off, and I gave the bread an extra 20 minutes, so hope it is ok inside. It sounds hollow when you tap on the crust, just as it should. A couple of Saturdays ago it was off an hour and a half while I was out. I knew because I have a mechanical timer on a lamp, and that was exactly an hour and a half slow. Don't tell me these exact times are emergency outages.

I'm also having to move the washing machine out, my dearest Kira knocked over a bucket of water in the kitchen just now and it went all over the place and under the w/m/c. :wall: :wall: I hope I can move the machine, it's heavy. At least I can retrieve a couple of things which I lost down the back. :D

:( for back to work tomorrow. I could enjoy not having to do that every day. At least we've got three more short weeks at work.

Hope Tyler did enjoy his Easter egg hunt, Stampie. Someone recently said that there was an Easter egg hunt when he was a kid, but when they found the eggs they were hard boiled eggs. They were so disappointed.

It's been a lovely warm, sunny day, today. I just managed to get outside and see a couple of planes go over from the air display at the Rand Show this morning. I'm close enough that they come over my area.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Good afternoon everyone :D Autumn is here and their is a slight chill in the air. Elsa :k I hope you have made two milk tarts as it is time for afternoon coffee. Tea and sherry is also available. Della we are not used to the cold or what we regard as cold weather :lol: our summers are long and warm in northern Gauteng. I hope you and Val and those living in the UK will have a pleasant and bright summer :gflower: CoS I am glad it is a warm and sunny day and may your loved one's enjoy the skateboarding 8) . Supper here tonight is old fashioned oxtail soup and all are invited :D Good afternoon Chirinda :gflower:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Hello from Skukuza!

First of all, I must correct my post of last Wednesday - I didn't get to Letaba in 6 hours (I would need a broomstick for that) - I got to Phalaborwa Gate in just over 6 hours, then another 1-2 hours to Letaba (can't remember exactly).

The Nyarhi Rustic Bush Camp was a wonderful experience. Not too much work, nice easy guests and great co-workers and guides.

Spent last night at Letaba and drove down here - 232 kms in 9 hours! Spotting difficult with the long grass unless animal actually on the road. I kept mainly to the dirt roads to avoid traffic, but still some bad, selfish driving.
Letaba 12 April 2017
Nyarhi Rustic Camp 13-16 April 2017
Letaba 16 April 2017
Skukuza 17 April 2017

Mokala 11-15 May 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

Return to “Chit-Chat”