Skip to Content

Do you travel Light, Just Right or Loaded to the Kruger National Park?

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Do you travel Light, Just Right or Loaded to the Kruger National Park?

Unread post by Grantmissy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:06 am

We used to pack and take too much unnecessary stuff on a trip to the Kruger National Park – Loaded! These days we try to pack more sensible and leave anything unnecessary at home. We like the idea - Wear One, Wash One and Dry One. Do you travel Light, Just Right or Loaded to the Kruger National Park? :D
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Do you travel Light, Just Right or Loaded to the Kruger National Park?

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:47 am

I try to travel just right - I always think of the off-loading at the chalet, especially when only staying at a camp for one night. And because I go to Kruger on my own 99% of the time, that becomes a lot easier. The plan for my 10 day trip (did I mention I only have 2 sleeps to go? :twisted: ) is -
1 small bag for clothes,
1 camera bag,
2 cooler boxes,
1 bag for the bird books (yes, they are so numerous that they need their own bag, :whistle: but this trip some will stay at home).

I know there are much cheaper accommodation options available (especially since I spend so little time at the chalet) but it is so nice not to have to pack your entire kitchen from home when you go to Kruger.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:22 pm

Karin enjoy your 10 day trip :D May you have many pleasant sightings :cam: 8)
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

isinkwe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Image is rather heavy , luckily my bakkie can load more than ton , the rest of the insignificant stuff , in the caravan :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:19 pm

We travel "loaded", enough clean clothes for the entire time in the Park, because I don't do laundry when in Kruger! :whistle:

I also need my hotplate with oven, I don't like to eat food that should be hot, cold. We normally braai every night when in Kruger, and my plate must be warm. :D

We take all the food we need according to our pre-planned menus. SO packs the freezer in the order the meat is going to be used, so that we only need to take out what we need for the next braai to defrost in the chalet's fridge. We braai enough for supper as well as the next day's brunch.

It is clear that we definitely travel loaded. :wink:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:13 pm

I'm afraid I am in the "Loaded" bracket, take everything, but the kitchen sink, also not the stove! :whistle:
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Definitely LOADED :lol: if I am spending nights in various camps, I pack a bag per camp and only offload the required bag
I always tend to take far to much food with (just in case :redface: )
I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me

Pretoriuskop 16-17June 2017
Tamboti 18 - 19 June 2017
Satara Camping 22-25 September 2017

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:02 pm

Definitely very over-loaded!

I don't do laundry in Kruger, so take clothes for the trip - catering for a variety of weather. Dirty clothes get put in a black dustbin bag and get off-loaded straight into the laundry at home (once, on leaving the park, a security guy asked what was in the black bag - I duly opened the back of the bakkie and one of my bras fell out - he was very embarassed!).

We know to take various things - sharp knives, steak knives, an electric kettle in case theirs doesn't work, oven mitts for hot stuff, coffee mugs, flasks, skottle and gas (sometimes used in camps), torches, a library of books on all Kruger wildlife, plants etc., my pillow (hate the Kruger ones), drinks, food in 2 car fridges and cooler box, tyre compressor, torches.

Hubby is always saying we take far too much - but what the heck we might need these things at some stage!
Mokala 11-15 May 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

ruthp

Unread post by ruthp » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:04 pm

WOW, some of you guys are really organised!!
Well, we've got our caravan so we've always got our hotplate and kitchen sink : :tongue:
but we do pack plenty clothes -- I agree that laundry is a definite NO NO in the park - and we cover all seasons ....Our very first visit was a July - I only had "warm" clothes which was OK for the night time but not in the day!! Fortunately I'd chucked in a sundress as an afterthought - had to wash that dress every night for the entire week :wall:
As long as the reference books and binocs and camera are in we're happy :D :D -
I think we are packed Just Right :thumbs_up:

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:20 pm

Well Loaded seems to have another context for you Sassie's = Overloaded

Both our carry on bags have cameras/lenses/tech kit and all batteries (can ship inhold!) and maybe/are overlimit (shh).

Usually we go in your winter/spring so need warm clothes, walking boots and also clothes for three/four days assuming we have booked a laundry camp if not .....
Add the mossie bits, lamps/torches, tripod and chargers it means two suitcases are fully packed and just-about-on-limit.

We then buy a black box or two to store food so the local four legged creatures have a bit of difficulty - and also so we don't unpack at each camp, just delve, and a couple of cool bags for 3-4 days meats. We have these stored in J'burg for our return this year.

Hence we need an SUV storage capability.

Obviously we really must have another box about 3m cubed to contain the vast amount of vegetables so
we can get the recommended 0,5kg per day :wink: insinkwe :wink: that goes in a trailer as a monkey distraction.
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. TR done
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
Other TR's 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by salamanda » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 pm

We load! Three apple boxes. one large Coleman and three small ones, plus a wheelie cold box and possibly a couple of soft ones, two travel bags for clothes, camera equipment, a bag of reference books, a first aid box, a tea basket, my pillows (also cant use the ones provided Hippotragus) . . . need I go on?? We use everything we take; and have exactly what we need.

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stampajane » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:08 pm

We camp so obviously our car is pretty full with tent, groundsheet, tables and chairs, gas, basic cooking and eating stuff, thermoelectric cooler, lights, bedding, food, clothing, books, binoculars, cameras. However we take just the barest minimum to be comfortable so I'd say that although we're loaded, we travel just right. We used to take a lot more but have cut down over the years. With careful packing, it all fits in the car and we leave the trailer at home - much easier not to be towing when confronted by an irritated ellie.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:17 am

Karin :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Light, very light....sometimes leaving camera and binos. :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: tent poles, tooth brush, hiking shoes....sometimes I try so hard, but I do manage to forget something. I have tried making a list...and usually the list also gets lost.

I have to admit to absolutely hating packing. It is as bad as doing admin.

I don't forget my books, tablet and cell phone.

I don't like to take too many clothes, so I take what I can wash and wear. I have my favorite outfits...long and loose. I like to be as unencumbered as possible.

I do have ADHD. It can be a problem, because there is sometimes the inability to differentiate between thinking that you have done something and actually doing it.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:35 am

It seems that some of us travel well prepared :D . Or loaded to be prepared for all eventualities :D :thumbs_up: . I suppose that is why those Ventertjies (a type of roomy wagon for packing all sorts of stuff for the Kruger trip including pots and pans) are so popular when travelling to the Kruger National Park :hmz: .

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:57 am

Meandering Mouse wrote:I have tried making a list...and usually the list also gets lost.

I made myself a "standard" list that I use for every Kruger trip. Top of the list is the camera - I can forget everything but if I forget the camera .......
This list helps a lot to make sure I do have the basics, and then I only have to worry about the food depending on the trip.

It is interesting to hear how everyone approaches their trips - local visitors vs international, camping vs basic chalet vs "more equipped" chalet - everyone's trip requirements are different.

But the one thing that is obvious is that we all love it, and the packing and lots or little luggage just ads to the amazing experience of visiting Kruger!

Return to “Chit-Chat”