Skip to Content

What are the most important lessons you have learned from your Sanparks visits?

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

What are the most important lessons you have learned from your Sanparks visits?

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:30 am

Mine are:

1) We always try to remember to book well in advance to get the accommodation units that we prefer. Some of the huts or accommodation units are very popular and gets fully booked quickly :o
2) We try to refrain from asking half way between home and the Kruger National Park the following or a similar question: “Did you remember to switch the iron off ?"" :doh:
3) We avoid trying to take photographs of everything :cam: and anything :cam: that we see in KNP or any of the other SA National Parks.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: What are the most important lessons you have learned from your Sanparks visits?

Unread post by Hugh » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:52 am

Most important lessons ... MMMMMM now lets see . oh dear I would need to write a book as large as War and peace to write it all down ... so lets just say
I love the Sanparks all of them and spend any time of boredom planning my next visit whether it materialises or not
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

renierdutoit

Re: What are the most important lessons you have learned from your Sanparks visits?

Unread post by renierdutoit » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:46 am

1. There exists no such thing as "enough firelighters";
2. Always take along a sufficient amount of cash;
3. Always check the pressure and condition of your vehicles' spare tyre!

squirrel_asc

Unread post by squirrel_asc » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:47 am

- DON'T travel too much - we prefer to do one camp at a time, and wouldn't even consider staying only one night, except when we stay near a gate or in a hide on the first night.
- DO reserve a specific bungalow, else you risk getting the worst ones in the camp (They made us stay in the one closest to the shop's air-cons in Satara once :( - Spoilt Satara for me for a long time!)
- It's ok to plan a destination for a game drive, but DON'T be too intent on getting there. Be willing to change your route or to stay at one sighting for several hours if it's worth it!
- DO pack bacon and eggs for a skottel-brecky at a picnic site!
"Your life becomes a masterpiece when you learn to master peace" 8)

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:31 am

I have learned to be patient when visiting the Kruger National Park or any of the other SA National Parks. One day while we were at the Tihongonyeni water hole our patience was reward - we had a sighting of the rarer antelope species on the same day - Roan and Eland.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:34 am

1. Be grateful that you have been Blessed with a booking :pray:
2. Accept that you will have forgotten something :redface:
3. Leave your troubles behind and allow Nature to spin it's magic
4. Enjoy !

41c8b6df0fc60a2622699257a2f1745c.jpg
I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me

Pretoriuskop 16-17June 2017
Tamboti 18 - 19 June 2017
Satara Camping 22-25 September 2017

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:30 pm

1. Remember YOU are the visitor !
2. RESPECT the animals both big and small and other people you encounter!
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:52 am

Nice topic. :D

Check the kitchen table for cameras and binoculars....thinking you packed them does not mean that you have packed them.

If you are going on a hiking trail, pack your hiking shoes first. Don't think that 'I will leave it to later'.

Never take weather for granted. Always pack a warm jacket and jersey and socks. Check under the bed in each camp for the missing one sock.

Have a Kruger/Sanparks toiletry bag that is never touched other than in Kruger. Make sure there is toothpaste and toothbrushes in stock at all times. These are important items on trails.

When camping, make sure that you remember to pack the tent poles when leaving camp. It is also not a good idea to leave the brand new backpack leaning against a tree to pack till last.

Never think that anything is primate free. At each view point, close your windows, bolt down doors of camping fridges, watch your back when eating anything tasty.

Always have cash, cash is king.

Never allow your vehicle to go even slightly close to reserve tank, especially in the holiday season. Petrol stations can and do run out of fuel.

Goodness, this list can go on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What fun.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stampajane » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:01 am

Remember to pack an cordless drill and heavy duty tent pegs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:15 am

Philosphical Lesson - Only expect to see what The Bush is willing to reveal to you. Don't be bound by the big five, but appreciate all flora and fauna. :whistle:

Practical Lesson - Check the inside of bed and all shoes for unwanted visitors of the slithering or crawling kind!!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:17 am

Since we mostly drive the whole day when in the Park, we close the windows and put the aircon on when it is very hot, just to cool off for a while. The most important lesson for me is not to put my binolulars at my feet when the aircon is on! When I tried to find a far away Cheetah, I couldn't see anything, since the binoculars were FROZEN and I couldn't see anything! :redface:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela.

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:19 pm

1. Go as often as possible. As soon as you get home from one trip, book another - it eases the longing!!
2. Take sharp knives, coffee mugs, flasks for hot water, oven gloves/pads for hot pans, torches/headlamps. We take far more, but that's basics.
3. Library of books on all subjects relevant to the park we are in.
4. Travel slowly and just go where the will takes you. No planned drives!
5. Of course, travel slowly! Often stopping for something small will produce something larger in the distance.
6. Clothes for all weathers - wet, dry, hot, cold! I have had all seasons in 2 days in Kruger. Go prepared and dress in layers, so you can strip off or add on.

Must be lots more, but that's it for now.
Letaba 19 July 2017
Nyarhi Rustic Bush Camp 20-23 July 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:49 pm

research your trip itinerary months or in our case at least a year in advance

plan your visit day by day to try and see what's around, not the details just the waypoints.

ensure you have enough tinnies

ensure that your braai is up to isinkwe's standard - meat, meeet, and more(cat) meet vegs.

stay away from the toorists/obnoxious service vehicle routes if at all possible. you might not see xxxx but, by yourselves you might see even more special encounters....
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. TR done
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
Other TR's 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

isinkwe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:49 am

Always take an Image

So you still can Image in the rain , its also helps to keep the rain Image out of your Image

Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:23 am

Always take precaution against malaria when visiting the Kruger National Park. We also never compare one Park with the other as they are completely different from each other, each with its own uniqueness and atmosphere :cam:

Return to “Chit-Chat”