Skip to Content

Curious, Cheeky, Nosey and/or Inquisitive Sanparks Animals

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Curious, Cheeky, Nosey and/or Inquisitive Sanparks Animals

Unread post by Grantmissy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:12 am

Although this did not happen in any of the South African National Parks, I have read about a curious buffalo bull who entered a game lodge through a gap in the fence and even visited the bar area of the lodge to see what is going on there.

It reminded me of those mischievous honey badgers at Orpen who struggle to leave a fridge alone during the night. I think they might have caused many a stir amongst some of the overnight visitors who got woken up during the night to see a honey badger (s) on their stoep feasting on the left over braaivleis from the fridge.

I have also read about some guests in the Kgalagadi who had a visit from bats during the night in their chalet who wanted to set up home in their hair …

Have you ever experienced or photographed out of the ordinary/funny behavior (from a human perspective) from any animals, birds and other living creatures in the SA National Parks?
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: Curious, Cheeky, Nosey and/or Inquisitive Sanparks Animals

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:14 am

Nice thread GM :thumbs_up:

I am sure that many people will remember this old lady. She used to reside at the Timbavati picnic site.

I would always watch her wake up from her morning/midday doze when picnickers would arrive to unpack their much needed meal.

She had no fear and would trot over to inspect the offerings. She clearly had no sense of Park laws and no sense of her own safety. Sadly, she eventually lost her life to an opportunistic leopard.

Naughty as she was, I remember her with great affection.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:46 pm

MM :) I remember that inquisitive old lady from the Timbavati picnic spot very well. Thank you for posting the photograph :gflower: I think many Timbavati picnic goers remember her with great affection :thumbs_up: She was sometimes very nosey to see what they unpacked from their picnic baskets :lol:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:19 am

Elephants sometimes can be up to mischief , curious, cheeky and nosey all at the same time. They also can make some of visitors suddenly to :pray:

In the history thread Lest we Forget by Gmlsmit I have read the following:

Gus Adendorff assisted the film crew who made the film “Where no Vultures Fly”. The film team required scenes of charging elephants, an elephant sliding down an embankment on its behind and so forth. The got what they needed. The ideal star for the performance roamed close to the Shingwedzi Rest Camp - a huge Elephant Bull who would charge vehicles for no reason what so ever – probably just for the fun of it. German was the most spoken of Elephant of the area. Apparently some visitors who had booked in for a few days, promptly cancelled their booking at Shingwedzi and moved on after a meeting with German. Gus was also often charged by German, he would then stop and the disgusted elephant would nonchalantly walk off after stopping and making a further display ten metres away...

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:40 am

GM, :thumbs_up: ellies certainly do seem to have personalities of their own... some very inquisitive.

This is my strangest account of ellies, posted on another thread.

Two ellies clearly wanted a tasty treat that took them up the side of a hill. It was the very steep hill where James Stevenson Hamilton's ashes have been spread.

I have no doubt that his spirit smiled down at these two adventurers.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:47 am

Thank you for posting those very interesting elephant photo’s MM :) :thumbs_up:

Meandering Mouse wrote:I have no doubt that his spirit smiled down at these two adventurers.
:)

The Bush Bucks at Letaba Camp can also be very curious and inquisitive. I guess many first time visitors got a pleasant surprise when a wet black nose and big eyes suddenly look at them over the low stoep wall of the Rondawel :D .

The buffaloes of the Kruger National Park never fail to give the game spotters in a vehicle an intensely curious piercing gawp or stare before suddenly losing interest at all those game viewers in their cars and starting to eat the grasses again :D .

The cheeky and quick to take what does not belong to them vervet monkeys of the Kruger National Park are something else. Once on the veranda of the tent in Tambotie Tented Camp they took a packet of rice in a split second when we were off guard. They tore the packet opened and strew most of the rice over the tent :doh: .

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:26 pm

The Vervets, in particular, are thieves of note.

In 2010 I ran the Skukuza half marathon. I was extremely nervous and being surrounded by nubile and fit young runners did not help.

I took a walk as the day was breaking and saw these naughty little thieves that had managed to snatch a group of runners' breakfast.

No matter how nubile and fit..... they were no match for these naughty critters. :roll:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:14 pm

The vervet monkeys in the Kruger National Park can be up to no good MM :doh: :lol: A person can get annoyed at them when they are up to mischief. . but sometimes they look so vulnerable and totally innocent especially when the mothers tend to and care for their little monkeys that any visitor who is angry or agitated at their on-going antics can forgive them easily.

The Kruger National Park is a wonderful place to be amongst the nature and the animals. And what a privilege it is to experience all those animals at their most natural, best and sometimes not so best behaviour :D . I have read here on the forum a few years ago about an African Rock Python who made his or her home in the thatch roof at the Babalala picnic site. Apparently no one visiting the picnic site was sitting underneath where the snake was supposed to be :lol: .

Jazil
Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere

Unread post by Jazil » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:32 pm

This cheeky vervet monkey had a great time with my supplies at Tshokwane one morning.

Like a fool I left our box of goodies unattended whilst I went to the toilet, on my return, all I could feel was brown sugar raining down on my head, the little blighter was up the tree having a real feast, (I wonder how good that was for him though), In the first picture you can see all the sugar around his face.

So after that I set my box of supplies touching me on the bench, now this had to be safe, surely. A packet of crisps was on the top, and suddenly out of the corner of my eye, and I kinder felt a presence, here was the same, or another cheeky little blighter, with my chips in his hand, well I let fly at him with my best left handed backhand, caught him squarely on the head, but this did not deter him, in a trice he was up the tree, and chips then came raining down all over the ground. You can see him in the second picture with my packet of crisps up the tree.

Web IMG_6151aaa.jpg

Web IMG_6152.jpg
Don't forget to PM any Mod your Kudu nominations for the month.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

bushguy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bushguy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Grantmissy - gotta watch out for those ratels in Satara. In November last year as we settled down to supper, there were screams from next door. A badger had jumped onto the counter , opened the microwave and removed a piece of meat from the pot - all while the occupants watched (and screamed). There he/she was under the car enjoying the loot. Didn't seem to bother that it was cooking hot !
Spring is sprung, Der grass is riz, I wonder where dem boidies is?
Der boids is on der wing,
Ain't dat absoid?
Der wings is on de boid!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:32 am

Jazil :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: what a laugh.

The first time I went on a wilderness camp was very very special. It was a gift to my twins who were turning 18. It as from the Sand river bush camp and Bruce Brydon was to lead the trail. At that point, I had no idea about who Bruce Brydon was. :redface: :redface: :redface:

We were warned about keeping our tents properly zipped up and to leave any food in the kitchen.

One morning, after a hot and tiring walk, we made our way to our tent. I realized pretty quickly that something was amiss when I saw a trail of recognizable debris leading the way to our tent. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

The naughty Vervets has somehow managed to detect a sealed bottle of concentrated Powerade. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: They had broken into the tent and had a wonderful time. They were unable to break the seal, so they simply chewed through the bottom of the bottle.

You have no idea of the destruction that 750 mls of bright orange Powerade can make. Many items just had to be thrown away.

A much younger MM and twins.

The trashed tent

For those who might know them, MM is on the far right, then Sakkie and Vanessa is sitting next to Sakkie.

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:42 am

A lovely thread to brighten the end of my shift, this Sunday morning. The stories posted so far have got my imagination fired, so will post an anecdote or two when I get the chance.

(And for the record, MM might consider herself younger then, but it must be noted that she will never be old. :gflower: )
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:41 am

OWN, :redface: :redface: I might say the same for you. :wink:

Bushguy, :lol: :lol: I have not had a ratel experience, but Satara has had its share of stories. I think the honey badger has had a lot of people running for cover.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:13 am

:lol: Jazil :k . Bushguy those Orpen Badgers know a kitchen and what humans do in it very well :lol: :doh: MM I love your Kruger memories and stories and photographs that you share with us and the humour :D Wonderful :clap: :clap: :clap: :gflower:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:36 am

I guess Sylvester, the now famous Lion of the Karoo National Park that captured the attention of many people through his wanderlust can be described as curious whilst at the same time having very itchy feet :hmz:

Return to “Chit-Chat”