Skip to Content

Chatting around the camp fire

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Chatting around the camp fire

Unread post by Hugh » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello all
Grey clouds all around Looks promising Oumie hope you have your jojo tank out plus all the other containers you can find !!!! Hope it rains all night . that would be nice . the weeds are really shooting up beautifully I must go and dig them all up . I see my flowering bushes have some nice buds on them A bit of colour in the garden at last .
Took Hounds to dog park and there was no one there so we had a coffee then the dogs started arrive and my two were in hound heaven . Every time another dog arrived they went to welcome them We were thinking of going home as it was cold but then the sun came out and my two were having such fun that we stayed three hours ( those two are time wasters ) now home and they are exhausted .
COS so you are now awake How many coffees have you had so far today ???
Oh feathered one .. I am sure you are going to find some very distressing and sad sites in Knysna I am sure you will let us know how the Sanparks accommodations faired.
Hippotragus those complexes out your way just spread and spread and the houses seem to get bigger and grander such a pity . Our area at the moment is just the same instead of building places that peeps can afford they get pricier and pricier and the gardens get smaller and smaller . I am glad we still have the green belt behind us They are just finishing off a new area with 3000 new houses ( can you still remember that song by nina and Frederick "Little boxes little boxes")Soon they will have spread to the WCNP at this rate .and with the houses come new shopping malls and and and .
well I declare its tea/coffee time and I need a beeeg cup to keep me warm
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by billyf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Good evening mites, its windy and its cold and rain is threatening, perfect weather for a lovely sherry or muscadel in the pub :D Flippen Nice have delivered very delicate little snacks for tonight, they are sure we all ate too much yesterday and the Angels wish to keep their very slim and trim figures :roll:

The fire is lit, its warm and cozy and all are welcome so "clink" everybody :gflower:

COS, another coffeeholic, welcome to the club !!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Just back from taking Jock to the airport and she is winging her way to Jhb on the start of the long journey homewards.
Time seems to have gone so fast and it seems to be like yesterday that we were fetching her.

Think I can do with something from the pub tonight Billy, not sure what tho! :?

Sounds like the hounds had a good run at the doggie park Eliz!
good to hear of the gardens slowly being revived!
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Feeling for you Elsa. I have one daughter in England and don't see her that often. It is heartbreaking when she leaves but she is in a better place in a lot of ways.

I heard it is raining in the Cape - great news.
Letaba 19 July 2017
Nyarhi Rustic Bush Camp 20-23 July 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:43 pm

"Clink" everybody!
Elsa :k :k :k hugs for you,the time with Jen did go extremely fast.My niece arrives from New Zealand with her 2 children next Monday and already my sister is saying she just wishes that the 3 weeks they have together time stands still!
Elizabeth :clap: :clap: at the rain falling.You sound your happiest when you have weeds to go and sort out.Do give the doggies and Oor Wullie hugs from us Mischiefs.
DB safe travels tomorrow........ :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:
Foxy bit daunting to be the ONE on speed dial,sure if necessary you will cope like a star!
Billy thank you for the dainty snacks tonight,see the losloper biltong is a minimalistic powder this evening :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Well tax office was not quick and easy but long and frustrating.Real downside is going back there tomorrow with AFFADAVIT to tell THE SYSTEM/COMPUTER :evil: :evil: I have no idea or clue in the world what THEY did with my tax returns submitted in 2007 :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: . :doh: :doh: :doh: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

Still a bit chilier here tonight than normal.Going to snuggle in and read and wait for hubby to get home from shift.My furry leg warmer is present and purring!
Night night good people!
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:19 pm

Elsa :gflowerpity she had to go home .. fly well Jock.
Yes it is raining nice steady stuff and I have run out of containers to fill Even my washing machine is full for tomorrows wash . I boiled up umpteen kettle of water and managed a nice hot bath and as its rain water its lovely and soft.
All those fires lately and all that terrible loss very very sad .
Sir any snacks left and something warm to drink. I am going to curl up on the pub sofa and enjoy the moment
Oh Mischief SARS :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: and I don't suppose you kept a copy of the returns ... You need a Real one He keeps all the papers and even has backups. if you ask him when I about that fridge he will look it up and say 10th May 2001 !!!He loves stats and figures and loves doing his tax ..... ( think he is a little soft in his head ) He has a beeeg cabinet with all the files there . He even has the old KNP bookings there so he can refer to them as far as prices go etc.. Anyway good li=uck with tomorrow Mischief what a waste of a good day
Oor wullie is in bed and the canines all in their beds maybe I will toddle that way soon
Hot choccie is made and I have some vanderhummmpies and little amarulatjies for everyone to celebrate the rain
Night night all

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Long day exploring......and I was glad I was not driving on those narrow roads barely as wide as the car which actually were for 2-way traffic. Tomorrow morning visiting another friend and then off to the Minnack Theatre.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:46 am

Morning all.

The Cradle tray is ready, together with the rusks.

Hippotragus, I do find living that in a semi urban/rural area has left me feeling less claustrophobic. I also find I am so much more connected to nature. I am more aware of the seasons, the moons, the smells and the sights. It would be very difficult to leave that.

I went to Kruger, to the cricket with a certain mite one year and she drove a slightly different route. It was not the best day to drive through this area, but I utterly and completely fell in love with this place. Despite the fires that had destroyed a lot of the beauty, I knew that I could happily settle down here.

I wonder if anyone can guess where this might be?

GEJ, enjoy today. I agree about the roads though.

Mischief, there is nothing better than a self warming furr/purr ball. 8)

Foxy, that sounds like a busy time. I do hope the op goes well.

I am sooooo far behind with my admin. This time due to connection issues, not procrastination. I am up super early to see if I can at least sent some stuff off before I leave for work. My outlook express has not been working for so long on my computer that I am going to have to muddle through like a novice. I find that if I get things done early, I procrastinate less on things that I find boring, or frustrating.

I wish you all a fab time. :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

billyf

Unread post by billyf » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:57 am

Good morning mites :gflower:

Thanks for the Cradle coffee and rusks Ms Mouse, what a nice way to start the day :thumbs_up:

We had an impressive but very short storm yesterday evening, quite strong gusts of wind and rain pelting down, hopefully some fell on the mountains to feed our dams :pray: :pray:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:21 am

Morning all the Marvellous Mites
MM that looks like our Kaapsehoop area.Do persevere with your admin.One more thing to tick off the to-do-list :gflower: :gflower:
Elizabeth yes I did save copies but had a big paper purge in about 2015 and threw them out. :o :o :o The Company I worked at longer exists,majority Canadian shareholders who left South Africa.By law you are only required to keep tax records for 5 years anyway UNLESS the system/computer says differently. :wall: :wall: :wall: Going to be really interesting to see how the SYSTEM reacts this morning :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
GEJ enjoy the visit with your friend and the MInnack Theatre.Hope you have done nice pics to share when you return.

Hope the rain in WCape is falling in all the right areas :pray: :pray:

Have a terrific Tuesday, :gflower:
I am off to set sail for Nelspruit shortly.
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:26 am

Good morning MM and thank you for the Cradle Tray with coffee and rusks :gflower: . I like the buttermilk ones. Good morning Billy I do hope good rains are on its way for the Western Cape :pray: . MM best wishes with the administration today and Mischief with the SARS visit I also had to stand in a loooonggg queue yesterday to attend to the administration of life issues and when I eventually reached the front I was told I am in the wrong queue :doh: I then understood what someone wise meant when they said that - of all my body parts my eyes get the most exercise, I do at least a thousand eye rolls every day :roll: . Elsa :k may Jock have a pleasant flight, time goes by so quick. Stampie how is the weather in the Netherlands today :D CoS how long is the summer break? Your visit is near :D 8) GEJ enjoy your visit to the Minnack Theatre. May it be a pleasant day for all. Hugh :k I will put the kettle on at quarter to 11. Mischief will be in the SARS.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:40 am

Am I the only one struggling to post :hmz: I write and post but what I wrote goes somewhere unknown or a very peculiar error message is displayed :roll:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:50 am

Morning all
Yes we had a lovely rain last night now I have run out of containers to fill with water .. Hope the dams catchment arrears had some too ,lots of rain.
Off to dentists now now and trying to avoid the traffic even though she is just down the road .
Speak later and see you at 11 oclock for tea

Foxy
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by Foxy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:54 am

Good morning everyone

MM, that's Kaapsehoop, we have friends living there and often pop in for a meal when we in the area. Lovely little place with lots of interesting things to do / see.

Elsa, gosh Jock's few weeks here went so fast, but am sure the time was packed with lots of family time and of course your KNP trip.

Bit chilly this morning but looks like a warm day coming up.

Great to see Cape Town is getting some rain again.

Later this morning I am going to visit my ex colleagues again. Will be great to see them. Must make the most of my free time before the driving lessons start again :twisted:

Hugh, hope the dentist doesn't hurt you :)

Have a great day everyone.

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Philip1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:02 am

:D A very good morning to you all. :D
download.jpg
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Return to “Chit-Chat”