Skip to Content

Teleconverters/extenders

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
leander09

Advice on converter x 1.4 and x 2

Unread post by leander09 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:45 pm

I see a lot of people use them. I want to know how effective are they. I have a Sigma 100mm - 300mm lens and does it effect the quality and focus a lot?
KNP the Home away from home. . .

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Advice on converter x 1.4 and x 2

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi leander09
Converters are a great invention but have their drawbacks. I use both a x1.7 and a x2 converter and use them both rarely.
One of the main problems is the loss of a couple of f stops, if you are using a lens with a low f stop (f/2.8) your risk is to find it difficult to take pictures with low or scarce light.
I have noticed a slight drop in focus quality and it's one of the main reasons I avoid using them.
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

fazekma

Unread post by fazekma » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi leander09

The tele-converters can work if used on the right lenses. Is your lens the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX IF HSM?

I use the Nikon 1.4X TC on my Nikon 200-400 f4 lens with great results - the 1.7X produced OK results and the 2X results were NOT sharp. The 2X TC works best with the expensive 300mm and 400mm f2.8 lenses.

I would therefore suggest keeping away from the 2X and use the same brand as your lens - it will be sharper than the generic brands. The TCs also work better on prime lenses and not so good with zooms.

tedredrum
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tedredrum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi Leandro9,

I am very much an amateur and not an expert on the topic. However, I must agree with Mario. It all depends on the quality of your lens. I have the Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS and 300mm 2.8L IS. I have used the Canon 1.4 and 2x converters with both lenses with great results. The 1.4 loses one f stop and the 2x loses 2 f stops so some of it also depends on the setting in which you wish to use the converters.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Daron
KTP 2015 (1st time)

November 12-14 Twee Rivieren
November 14-16 Mata-Mata
November 16-20 Nossob

November 20-23 TMNP

KNP July 2016:

July 10-12 Mopani (1st stay)
July 12-14 Olifants
July 14 Orpen (1st stay)
July 15-17 Tamboti
July 17-20 Lower Sabie

brix

Unread post by brix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi,

the Sigma 100-300/f4 works very well with the Sigma 1.4x converter.

Here you find a test of the lens with this converter.

UKbadger

Unread post by UKbadger » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:16 am

Just another possible complication if you are using canon mount.

There are new model x1.4 and x2 converters coming soon and “nobody knows yet if they will make a difference to the sharpness etc. over the old ones, especially when used with lenses like your Sigma.

Thy will be very expensive at first, but will come down over time!

Sadly, the chances are that almost any “big” prime lens will be better than your Sigma with any converter.

Shirleymargate

Canon 1.4 111 TC advice needed

Unread post by Shirleymargate » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi We Pienaar family from Margate in South Africa,have been in New Zealand from November last year and we are staying untill the end of August. We have already booked a trip to Kruger for October.
Because of the abundance of birdlife here i find that I need to get closer to the birds - I have a Canon 40D and use a 100-400L zoom lens. I have thought of getting a 1.4x 111 TC but do not know whether it is best to get the 11 or 111 series. Hope you understand because I was told that the 11 series has been replaced with the 111 series ? Any advice please?
Shirl

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Canon 1.4 111 TC advice needed

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi Shirl, Unless I missed something there is only the I or II (mark one, or mark two).

But!
A 40D with a 100-400 will not happily mate with a 1.4 TC. Well, they will, but will not autofocus.
The 100-400 is f/5.6 at it's longest end, and the 40D has f/5.6 as it's last stop for AF. If you add the TC you add a stop, going to f/8, and AF will not be available anymore.
Not handy with photographing birds.

That said, I have a 20D and 7D with a 100-400, both with that same problem, yet get good photos of birds. Just keep the center focus point (the fastest) on them, not bothering with composition.
That will come at home.

So in short? Don't buy the TC.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Fransmargate

Re: Canon 1.4 111 TC advice needed

Unread post by Fransmargate » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi DuQues

Thank you for your reply/advice. The mark 111 is available in NZ.
I have decided to take the advice of an expert and not to buy the TC but to rather rob the bank in the future and get a secondhand longer focal length lens.

Once again - Thank you

vinkie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa

Use a Converter or not?

Unread post by vinkie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi everybody,

We are going to Kruger in July 2011 and I have read a lot about converters.
I have never used one before and would like to have some advice about this issue before we leave.

Should I buy a converter for my kit(Nikon D7000 with Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105/3.5-5.6G VR and
Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Zoom)? :hmz:

I heard that the range of the zoom is normally 105-450mm with a Nikon DX D-SLR

Would this mess up the pictures or would it extend my range to 600mm using my zoom :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice

Greetings,

Gert-Jan
Live life on the edge but be careful not to fall off! :wink:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

:dance: Planning our 2017 trip to Kruger National Park or Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park :dance:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Use a Converter or not?

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Gert-Jan, you can use it, but!
The 70-300, which is the only lens you should use it on, will become a f/8 lens with the converter on. Not a problem, except for autofocus. Your camera will not AF with f/8 lenses, so it's manual focus only.

It does mess up pictures a bit, as in that faults in the lens will be enhanced. I'm not using Nikon, so have no idea of the quality of that 70-300. Simple guideline, if it cost less than 1000 euro you might indeed see less quality.

Borrow or hire one, and go birding in Holland. I know quite a few good spots! That will show you what the quality and the handling will be like. Just don't go for herons, they stand still mostly. Try for Gaaien, rietzangers and such. That will be much like photography in Kruger.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

vinkie
Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa

Unread post by vinkie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:02 pm

@DuQues: Thanks for the tip....I don't know if it's possible to hire a converter in Holland?

Don't want to spend too much money on a converter but an Converter Kit for the Nikon costs 200,- euro by Kenko....better to buy a good Flashlight for this money I think :mrgreen:

The 70-300mm lens is a good Super-zoom lens of course a xx-500mm would be nicer but you must have the budget and the time to visit places like Kruger more often :lol: unfortunately we don’t have that opportunity :(

Which spots do you recommend for birding?
Live life on the edge but be careful not to fall off! :wink:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

:dance: Planning our 2017 trip to Kruger National Park or Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park :dance:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:54 am

PM sent.

harrys
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Canon 2x extender

Unread post by harrys » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:31 pm

Can anyone please tel me what a 2x extender lense do :hmz: , reason why I ask, a friend of my FIL told him that when you use a 2x extender lense on his 300 mm lense it will be like a 600mm lense :hmz:
Say NO to hotels in KNP!!!

saraf

Re: Canon 2x extender

Unread post by saraf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:45 pm

That is exactly what it does.

But. You can only use them on certain lenses, usually only L series but not all of them. And you will loose two F-Stops, making the lens a lot "slower" e.g. on a 2.8 rated lens you would loose 2.8 and 4 so the best F-Stop you would get would be 5.6.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”