Skip to Content

Teleconverters/extenders

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Help please, which camera and lens to buy?

Unread post by DuQues » Thu May 27, 2010 1:35 pm

michel367 wrote:Will I lose 2 stops too and my AF if I attache a Sigma 1.4 TC too it?

Just one stop, but it's enough to lose AF...
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

fazekma

Re: Advice on converter x 1.4 and x 2

Unread post by fazekma » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi leander09

The tele-converters can work if used on the right lenses. Is your lens the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX IF HSM?

I use the Nikon 1.4X TC on my Nikon 200-400 f4 lens with great results - the 1.7X produced OK results and the 2X results were NOT sharp. The 2X TC works best with the expensive 300mm and 400mm f2.8 lenses.

I would therefore suggest keeping away from the 2X and use the same brand as your lens - it will be sharper than the generic brands. The TCs also work better on prime lenses and not so good with zooms.
Mario

brix

Unread post by brix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi,

the Sigma 100-300/f4 works very well with the Sigma 1.4x converter.

Here you find a test of the lens with this converter.

UKbadger

Unread post by UKbadger » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:16 am

Just another possible complication if you are using canon mount.

There are new model x1.4 and x2 converters coming soon and “nobody knows yet if they will make a difference to the sharpness etc. over the old ones, especially when used with lenses like your Sigma.

Thy will be very expensive at first, but will come down over time!

Sadly, the chances are that almost any “big” prime lens will be better than your Sigma with any converter.

Shirleymargate

Canon 1.4 111 TC advice needed

Unread post by Shirleymargate » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi We Pienaar family from Margate in South Africa,have been in New Zealand from November last year and we are staying untill the end of August. We have already booked a trip to Kruger for October.
Because of the abundance of birdlife here i find that I need to get closer to the birds - I have a Canon 40D and use a 100-400L zoom lens. I have thought of getting a 1.4x 111 TC but do not know whether it is best to get the 11 or 111 series. Hope you understand because I was told that the 11 series has been replaced with the 111 series ? Any advice please?
Shirl

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Canon 1.4 111 TC advice needed

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi Shirl, Unless I missed something there is only the I or II (mark one, or mark two).

But!
A 40D with a 100-400 will not happily mate with a 1.4 TC. Well, they will, but will not autofocus.
The 100-400 is f/5.6 at it's longest end, and the 40D has f/5.6 as it's last stop for AF. If you add the TC you add a stop, going to f/8, and AF will not be available anymore.
Not handy with photographing birds.

That said, I have a 20D and 7D with a 100-400, both with that same problem, yet get good photos of birds. Just keep the center focus point (the fastest) on them, not bothering with composition.
That will come at home.

So in short? Don't buy the TC.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Fransmargate

Re: Canon 1.4 111 TC advice needed

Unread post by Fransmargate » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi DuQues

Thank you for your reply/advice. The mark 111 is available in NZ.
I have decided to take the advice of an expert and not to buy the TC but to rather rob the bank in the future and get a secondhand longer focal length lens.

Once again - Thank you

vinkie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa

Use a Converter or not?

Unread post by vinkie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi everybody,

We are going to Kruger in July 2011 and I have read a lot about converters.
I have never used one before and would like to have some advice about this issue before we leave.

Should I buy a converter for my kit(Nikon D7000 with Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105/3.5-5.6G VR and
Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Zoom)? :hmz:

I heard that the range of the zoom is normally 105-450mm with a Nikon DX D-SLR

Would this mess up the pictures or would it extend my range to 600mm using my zoom :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice

Greetings,

Gert-Jan
Live life on the edge but be careful not to fall off! :wink:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

:dance: Planning our 2017 trip to Kruger National Park or Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park :dance:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Use a Converter or not?

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Gert-Jan, you can use it, but!
The 70-300, which is the only lens you should use it on, will become a f/8 lens with the converter on. Not a problem, except for autofocus. Your camera will not AF with f/8 lenses, so it's manual focus only.

It does mess up pictures a bit, as in that faults in the lens will be enhanced. I'm not using Nikon, so have no idea of the quality of that 70-300. Simple guideline, if it cost less than 1000 euro you might indeed see less quality.

Borrow or hire one, and go birding in Holland. I know quite a few good spots! That will show you what the quality and the handling will be like. Just don't go for herons, they stand still mostly. Try for Gaaien, rietzangers and such. That will be much like photography in Kruger.

harrys
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Canon 2x extender

Unread post by harrys » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:31 pm

Can anyone please tel me what a 2x extender lense do :hmz: , reason why I ask, a friend of my FIL told him that when you use a 2x extender lense on his 300 mm lense it will be like a 600mm lense :hmz:
Say NO to hotels in KNP!!!
Lower Sabie: 13 to 15 August 2016: Berg en Dal 16 to 19 August 2016

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Canon 2x extender

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Correct, but there are downsides to it;
- it shows all the faults of the lens.
- autofocus will be slower, or be switched off entirely
- switching it in and out can let dust onto your sensor

Have a look at this page. It is a good appraisal.
On my 100-400 I do use the 1.4, but I do not have AF then, as my 7D will not use AF above f/5.6.

But if you have a good lens (L-series) and you really need the longer lens it is a great tool.

Bartman

Camera gear - Cannon 450D

Unread post by Bartman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:53 am

Hi mites

This is a question for those clued up mites who know their camera's!! :cam:

We have a Cannon EOS 450D body with 2x lens 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 and 18-55mm which was purchased as a kit.

My question is what lens or other attachment can we purchase to enable better pics of animals further away?

What is a converter and how does it work? Would this be an option?

Looking forward to your replies.
3 & 4 July Maroela
5, 6 & 7 July - Letaba
8-15 July Skukuza

Camping with a Metalian Maxi

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Camera gear - Cannon 450D

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:01 am

Any lens with a Canon mount will fit. The big question is which lens will fit your budget....
Do you have a maximum amount in mind?

A converter... Lazy mod, giving you a link to save typing: Teleconverter
There is a big but though, your camera will not auto focus above f/5.6, so unless you buy a f/4 lens (big money) you will have to resort to manual focus.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Camera gear - Cannon 450D

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:49 am

Bit more expensive than here, so that sounds about right.

A little warning, Kelko makes cheaper ones, but it doesn't tell the camera that it is there. Now that is handy as the camera will probably still use AF, but it will not take into account the stop light you lose.
If you buy the Canon one (my choice) make sure it will fit your lens! As you can see in the photo here it has a protruding part, and cannot be used on all lenses. But in the same link is a table of lenses that will fit. ;)

There are several versions of the converter, no need to go for the latest really. You might pick up a second hand version 1, which will work just as well.

Geckophobe

Which teleconverter to use with Canon 550D?

Unread post by Geckophobe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:20 am

I am in the process of buying a better camera (in stead of a good "mik en druk" ) for the first time, and I have decoded on the Canon 550D, the best deal I could find in my budget- and I have seen a number of good reviews also on this forum.

I am looking for a teleconverter to use with the canon 55-250 lens? Which would you recommend?
Satara : 8,9 July 2013
Lower-Sabie : 10,11,12,13, July 2013

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”