My little offering...cheetah, brown hyena and jackal. Taken in the KTP in 2010

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: One Photo - 3 or more species!!

Unread post by anne-marie » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:10 pm

superb Caracal :dance:
... nice :hmz: "only" three :wink:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:24 pm

Wow Caracal! What a special picture! To get three of these species in one picture is definitely out of the ordinary! Very well done! :clap: :clap:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.

FORUMITES, have you read this announcement? If not, please do and participate! Annual Forum Awards 2016

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by isinkwe » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Imagecaracal, what Imagean amazing picture, not many people will get that lot, in a situation like that, in a life time of visits to any park :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :clap: :clap:
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.......I never know what they are planning. :roll:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ?

Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Caracal » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:31 pm

Thank you isinkwe, hilda and anne-marie..it was indeed one of my most special sightings ever in the KTP. Eventually about 15 jackals and a Tawny eagle joined the party as well. :)

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NetEk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:54 am

Caracal that is now a vision pic of if 2 doggs fight over a bone the 3rd one gets it.
I live in my own little world. But it's okay they know me here.

Sparrow
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Sparrow » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 am

That is a most awesome picture Caracal :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Russel G

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

27/02/16 to 01/03/16 Satara
02/03/16 to 05/03/16 Skukuza Cricket.

Caracal

Unread post by Caracal » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:03 am

Thank you NetEk and Sparrow...
Briefly 3 cheetah killed a springbok, Brown hyena came along and helped himself. As the squabble ensued 15 jackals arrived and one tawny eagle. Eventually the brown hyena disappeared over the dune with half the carcass and the jackals and tawny polished off the rest. The cheetah followed the hyena over the dune. I reckon they had plenty to eat before the hyena arrived though. Our neighbours from Urikaruus arrived on the scene just as the last jackal disappeared. If I did not have photos to show them I think they would have thought I was making the whole thing up...:)

BluTuna
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by BluTuna » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:18 am

What a wonderful thing to experience and a great picture (one of many I assume) to remind you of it and to share with us! :thumbs_up:
15-17 November 2013, day visitor at Croc Bridge gate.
18 November 2013, Lower Sabie

Trrp-trrrrrrrr
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)
Award: Video of the Year (2014)
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2014)
Award: Forumite of the Year (2014)

Unread post by Trrp-trrrrrrrr » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:05 am

Waterbuck wrote: I was away learning how to rig an election and I was working on my silent diplomacy. Anyway.......I only need to explain my working hours to the committee (of one - ME - whahaha whaaahaha :twisted: )

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Learning to rig an election. :naughty:
Some of these orders.... seem rather harsh which you have dished out. :slap: :lol: :lol:

Your loyal followers are really giving you value for "no" money here. :roll:
Reminder... your loyal supporters... draw your crowds...Love this thread :hmz: :whistle:
The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man. ~Author unknown

Shushin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Shushin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:14 am

Waterbuck wrote:Image
OK - YES,. YES, YES........I know I have been away for a while. As I said previously, I was away learning how to rig an election and I was working on my silent diplomacy. Anyway.......I only need to explain my working hours to the committee (of one - ME - whahaha whaaahaha :twisted: )

Well then.......much has transpired since orders were last awarded. Here goes:

Bush Baptist - last I recall you were in the naughty corner planning a hostile takeover or a coup or a demob :sniper:Well, you've been so quite lately I'm thinking you've dozed off in that corner. Well, I must say, anne-marie has taught you the bad ways of a pixel-sized bird spotter - to the extent that you are claiming rocks in the grass to be hadedas for your 6 species haul :slap:

anne-marie. Are you still out looking for butterflies. Remember the butterflies in the grill of your car won't cut it for the committee. As for your ongoing submission of pixel-sized birds.........I think you should join BB in the corner. Not even to mention this pic (and others)......
Once again claiming that a tree-stump is an animal - this time trying to make us believe its half a Gnu.......never mind the new species like the Pixel Lapwing, Pixel Ox-pecker and Pixel Wagtail.....not to mention the leaf that you're calling a roller and the phantom leopard:? . In fact, now that BB is sleeping I'm going to make you president of the naughty corner. In spite of this, well done on more than one sixer!!

Shushin - you acceptance speech was good, but let me remind you that the committee (of 1) now owns the copyright to it. Other than that I see you are conspiring with isinkwe :naughty:

Foofootjie - what has happened to you? You submitted a great fiver (good for a newbie) and now you're gone 8)

isinkwe - as for your 3 + red tick, black tick, worm, ant, scorpion, spider, beetle ,snail , earthworm , wood lice , grass hopper, mole cricket, stick insect, bee and butterfly.......yes you guessed it - naughty corner!! Image I see you have also discovered the very rare micro-pumba in your 4-species haul (or is it 5 on account of anne-marie seeing a log-eagle). As for your 12 fish......need I say anything .....you are now the janitor of the naughty corner.

Goronta - in spite of your "half-a-buck" scam, well done on you fiver

Kite, haileyidaho, Carol g, Rooies, JDW (communist).......you peoples are still on the sidelines - where are your :cam: ?

Netek - just as I had hope for you, you post a pic with a"party animal"..... :naughty:.......then the invisible dung beetles that you squashed under your foot. Reluctantly the committee is awarding you an order for 3.

hilda wrote:Waterbuck, you are a great "committee"! If you ever "disappear" from the forum again, we'll haunt you! :twisted:
Thanks for the nice words hilda - just not so sure about the haunt part :big_eyes:

Thanks also Trrp-trrrrrrrr for the nice words (always have to count the damn "r's")

Dupacc - well done on your fiver. I should actually add a bonus for the new species called the White Heron.

Now then - we go to the mythical BluTuna who uses camera zoom to claim multiple awards for one scene at Sunset Dam. BT, that photo-shop course was worth the money.......Just joking. Well deserved Order of the Aardwolf :clap: .Now then, for your claim of 9 species, I am going to have to rely on the masses to make a call. When you moved and zoomed out I could not see some of the other species although I hear your plea saying you can zoom in to prove it. Lets do this - if we get three people to back up your claim, I will create and award a new order for 9 species.

As for Caracal's image - it may only be 3 species, but the context is amazing. As many said, the combination of these predators in one frame is very special. Thanks for sharing this Caracal :clap:

I know I haven't revealed the surprise yet, but hang around, its coming soon for recipients of multi-species orders (pending a committee vote :shock: ).

I'm still miffed at being DQ'd for my seven species, but the masses (a certain a-m and b-b and h) have spoken. The rules are clear - only SA National Parks :rtm:

kite wrote:Well done to all contributors! As the rules are bending, maybe there could be categories for mammals only, birds only, and any combination of birds and mammals. :tongue:

Kite, this committee is already underpaid and overworked - that's not how an autocratic dictatorship works :whistle:

From when I last updated the Orders, I have looked over the contributions and have recompiled the updated list. My sincere apologies if this is wrong (committee of one is not always so bright :think: )

For 3 species: - Order of the Honey Badger
izinkwe
Goronta (the lazy three)
Sparrow
Bush Baptist
Waterbuck
hilda
anne-marie
chirinda
saraf
Netek
Caracal (Honorary Order for a great :cam: )

For 4 species - Order of the Stripped Polecat
isinkwe
Blydeboer
Sparrow
Waterbuck (webcam)
hilda
anne-marie
saraf

For 5 species - Order of the African Wildcat
hilda
anne-marie
BluTuna
isinkwe
Bush Baptist
Foofootjie
Dupacc

For 6 species - Order of the Wild Dog
Shushin
anne-marie
isinkwe
Bush Baptist

BluTuna to be awarded the Order of the Aardwolf (8) or a new order for 9 if supported by the unruly masses.

Lest keep those pics coming!!

I will do the honors tonight and post WB.
May 2014
3 Skukuza
4-6 Letaba
7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Caracal

Unread post by Caracal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:34 am

Wahahaha...good laugh here...and thank you for my Honorary mention....:) Now I must look for a photo with four species. I am dying to be a member of the STRIPPED Polecat Order. I do wonder what a Stripped Polecat is though :hmz: ....one that has lost it's stripes ????? :whistle: :D :lol:

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by isinkwe » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:42 am

Since I was democratically elected ( :hmz: by the committee or did waterbuck rig the election :hmz: with the knowledge he picked up while he was away :hmz:)
Be that as it may, the votes are in and I am now officially the janitor of the naughty cornerImage
and in that light, as janitor, I submit another 4 in one photo........................

4 of the big 5 in one photo,

I did have all the big 5 in 1 photo , but in the interests of keeping our rhinos safe, I have removed them from the picture and I also cannot tell you where I took the photo.Image
Think we need a new category for this one Image

Here we go, Lion , Leopard , Buffalo and ElephantImage

oops, never mind I have plenty

Your janitor will be going away for a week, so please all behave while I am gone
not quite for a holiday, is that dreaded thing called workImage
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.......I never know what they are planning. :roll:

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by isinkwe » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:03 pm

BluTuna wrote:
Otherwise.....

I vote that my picture be given the (new) award for nine different species in one shot. :whistle:

Now I need two more of you guys to agree with me :thumbs_up:

As the newly elected janitor of the naughty corner, you can have my vote, had trouble tracking down the water thick knee, but I found something in there that you didn't. So that is still 9 :clap:

Its a LOGODILE :dance: :dance:

I have marked it in red for you :D :D

Better hurry back to the naughty corner, Image

Right, I'm off Image to the DRC for a week,Image see you all when I get back :pray: :pray:

Shushin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Shushin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:33 pm

Order Order.

It gives me great pleasure to give the following awards on behalf of the committee of 1 :tongue: .

May 2014
3 Skukuza
4-6 Letaba
7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”