Skip to Content

Ideal camera for kruger

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
terryf

Ideal camera for kruger

Unread post by terryf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:37 am

I have a Canon powershot sx 60 HS camera...
Is this okay for kruger or are there more ideal easy handling cameras available?
Or what camera do you use?

Afriphile

Re: Ideal camera for kruger

Unread post by Afriphile » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi terryf,
I'm not familiar with the canon sx60hs but having just looked at the spec it seems ideal.
Any camera for wildlife photography needs a min of equivalent 400mm,and preferably 600mm of reach.
Always use a beanbag for support and use higher iso settings early and late in the day.
I've just changed from canon SLR and separate lenses to a SonyRX10 Mark 111 because of the portability.I am hugely impressed with initial playing with it but will have to wait for our November trip to Kruger to really put it through its paces.
Good luck and enjoy.
Afriphile.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Afriphile, my SO is green with envy - that is his dream camera.

I agree with Afriphile. I find portability, and 'all in one' important. Also, with the great cameras that come on cellphones these days, I find for most scenic shots, I use my cellphone.

Your camera sounds like it is fine for a Kruger trip :thumbs_up:
- Dalene

terryf

Unread post by terryf » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks for the heads up...looking on internet for help really gets complicated and confusing when you expect an all in one camera to be simple....
Been practicing on my dogs which is a lot easier than taking photos of sudden sightings in different lighting conditions....
Ha ha....dogs are also fed up of posing and being told to move like leopards under the trees in the garden :D
Need to know which is best setting for taking photos under shaded bush or trees while being in the bright sunlight myself and very quickly before it's gone :hmz:
Any advice would really be appreciated

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Terryf, I am by no means a fundi - I always use automatic to get that first shot. Then mess around with settings.
- Dalene

Afriphile

Unread post by Afriphile » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi again terryf,
Whole books have been written on your question but I will try to give some simple tips.
As DinkyBird says,just use fully automatic,for first pics then play around.
The problem of animals in shade( or birds against bright sky) is that your camera sets it exposure from what it sees overall,not just what you want to photograph,this means that your subject is underexposed,so will appear darker than normal.This is exaggerated in Africa due to the very strong light.This is why photographers like to work in the first and last hours of the day to use the softer light.
So once you have got your "fully automatic" shots set your camera to,
Aperture priority .
Select lowest aperture possible.( this will depend on lens used)
Select exposure compensation,and try shots with say +1,+2 and +3 exposure.
Check the shutter speed that your camera is using and if it is less than say 1/250 sec then adjust the iso speed to get to 1/250.
Always review your shots as soon as you can so that if something is wrong you can try to adjust your settings.
Another simple tip is that if you are photographing and animal out in the open,and moving,then just set your camera to sport mode.This will automatically give you a fast shutter speed to freeze the movement.
Anyway I hope this gives you some ideas to practice,I think you'll need lots of dog biscuits!!!!
Afriphile.

Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:39 am

Afriphile, wonderful info and thank you. :thumbs_up:
To add, another forumite (thanks TessaG :D ) who also using this camera also confirmed it is a very nice camera.
The experience is that on full zoom, it is inclined to loose a bit of clarity. :thumbs_up:
"Everything I do, is exclusively my appreciation for the love of nature and showcase my Creator's creation".

terryf

Unread post by terryf » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:33 am

thanks for the advice...after changing my settings and within half an hour of landing at Skukuza was able to catch this beauty.

leopard.jpg

gbird
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gbird » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 am

Great shot terryf!

I'm still looking for the setting on my camera which will give me a leopard within 30 min.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:24 am

gbird wrote:Great shot terryf!

I'm still looking for the setting on my camera which will give me a leopard within 30 min.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Indeed Terry that is an amazing shot!!! Enjoy the rest of your stay!!! :dance: :dance:

Afriphile

Unread post by Afriphile » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Wow!!!!

Great shot,Terry.
On my camera the leopard setting is between fully auto and aperture priority.!!!!!!!
Still trying to find aardvark setting!,,,
Afriphile.

Mischief
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:42 am

terryf wrote:thanks for the advice...after changing my settings and within half an hour of landing at Skukuza was able to catch this beauty.

leopard.jpg

Stunning shot Terry. Hope to see more in your Travel Tale. Have a super visit!
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

WildImage
Location: Close by the South Downs National Park, Hampshire, UK

Unread post by WildImage » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:04 pm

My advice runs contrary to some of the points raised regarding the camera settings.

If possible I tend to use the "sweet spot" for the aperture setting, for most lenses this is between f8 and f11. This gives the best resolution and a good depth of field.

And where exposure compensation is concerned, my advice is to under expose by one or two stops (-1 or -2). Most images in Africa are made in bright light conditions and if you over expose the image will have "burnt out" areas where detail is lost. If you under expose by a little you can always recover the details in post processing.

If you are taking an image of a dark subject against a bright background use the "spot metering" setting (if you have it) to get the correct exposure for your subject. If you use full evaluative metering the camera will significantly under expose the subject in order to compensate for the bright background.

Hope this helps. :cam:
Richard (WildImage) - my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/r_j_veitch/

Gie me ae spark o' Nature's fire
Thats a' the learning I desire.

Robert Burns 1759 - 1796

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”