Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Canon EOS 1000

Unread postby flying cheetah » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:50 pm

Thanks Nico :thumbs_up:
I will view your gallery again :dance:
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

wingman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Canon 40D focusing screens

Unread postby wingman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:22 pm

Hi Im wanting to get more dof in my pics with my 100-400 and when using the 1.4 converter which means more manual focusing has anyone used the alternate focusing screens and do they make a difference as I battle to manual focus with my standard factory screen.

PJL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Canon 40D focusing screens

Unread postby PJL » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi wingman,

I can't say that I've tried alternative screens, but I think they tend to be a similar matte surface with the additions of composition aids such as horizontal and vertical grid lines. This in itself won't really help in manual focussing.

Does your 100-400 autofocus with the 1.4x converter on when the aperture is wide open? If so, one option might be to autofocus at your lowest available f-stop, flick off the autofocus and close the aperture to increase your DOF before snapping away. Bit of effort involved, but it might work??

wingman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wingman » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:38 am

Many thanks, someimes it will autofocus but on most occasions not, Im getting conflicting info from the suppliers on the screens there appears to be 3 options. 1st is a grid which I dont need, 2nd is a very fine version of the standard screen which is apparently clearer and the 3rd which I cant confirm is a split focus screen. All are available for to higher level camera's but not so sure for the 40D.

PJL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PJL » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi wingman,

Done a little bit more research and I think you're right - there are 3 different focussing screens for the 40D:

"Ef-A Standard Precision Matte Screen: Is the standard one that came with your camera and provides good viewfinder brightness and enables easy manual focus.

Ef-D Precision Matte with Grid: same as above but with the grid which is very useful for landscapes for example or where you wish to align your images better.

Ef-S Super Precision Matte Screen: Makes manual focusing easier than with the standard screen and is excellent for wide aperture lenses 2.8 and faster. Great for someone who likes to manual focus, especially in low light with faster lenses."

So it sounds as though the Ef-S would be the one to try.

One other strange-sounding thing to try is to autofocus using any of the AF points other than the central one, and see whether you get any improvement in autofocus ability. The reason is because the central one does a bit of work in figuring out best contrast levels, and that might be interfering with the focussing ability/speed.

marissa

help needed with equipment selection

Unread postby marissa » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi guys. i need help on selecting equip. I am thinking of buying a canon 500D or a 40D and fitting a canon 75-300mm lens to it. Is this a good combo or can you guys suggest something cheaper or similiar?

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: help[ needed with equipment selection

Unread postby DuQues » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Think from the lens back towards your eye...

The lens is the most important bit of equipment, if that's iffy you'll get iffy photos even with the best camera and photographer behind it.

So if budget is a problem (as always) rather go for the 500D than the 40D.
The 550D is out, so the 500D will become cheaper.

But this set should do fine for the moment. Especially with a remote and a beanbag.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

marissa

Unread postby marissa » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:13 pm

I was looking on ebay for a lens and saw that there is lenses with f and some wih l and even a few with IS in the name and description what do these stand for? What should i look for, for all my wildlife photography?

wingman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wingman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi Marrisa
you dont say where you come from if it is in SA take a look at www.outdoorphoto.co.za
on your camera I would look at a good second hand 40D there are plenty around at the moment for wildlife it will give you a lot more versatility camera wise, if it is general wildlife the 70-300mm will be fine but go for the IS (image stabaliser) this is a system built into the lens, the F is the miniumium aperture (number wise) for that focal length that the lens will operate at: ie 70-300mm IS F4.5-5.6 means it is a zoom lens that zooms from 70mm at a minimium Fstop of 4.5 and to a maximium zoom of 300mm at a minimium aperture of 5.6 what I suggest is before you proceed to buying anything search through this forum for the lessons on photography and read them the members have explained a lot of the terms and how they effect the photos and equiptment this will help you considerably to make your decisions correctly and ask as many questions as you want no matter how basic they seem someone will always give you an answer.

regards

Kenmo

Upgrading from Compact to DSLR

Unread postby Kenmo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:54 pm

I currently use a Canon S5 IS, which gives me great pictures, but want to upgrade to full DSLR. (Am I going through a 'toys for boys' phase?). I go at least once a year to a Sanpark's location; this year it is the Kgalagadi (again), so I need a good set-up for wildlife photography. Unfortunately I don't get much time for photography back home (UK) so the camera is mainly for holiday use.

I have already had one recommendation of the Canon 1000D (with 18-55 IS lens) and an additional 55-250 IS lens. Does anyone have any other suggestions/advice?

NickyG

Re: Upgrading from Compact to DSLR

Unread postby NickyG » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi bud,

Only limitation is a budget.
Overseas there are a few places (I mean in England) like Jessops, who do great deals. You can enquire about a trade in ?

Currently teh top range of entry levels from canon (Im assuming canon as you are conversant with their compact) its a 550D, these as far as I know here are not sold with kits.

The DSLR will enable you to catch movement better,as well a more frames per second. (I currently have teh 450D, and bought it with a kit lens and a 300mm although teh lens is unstabilised....something I got used to using a compact).

The 1000D is a brilliant entry levbel camera, with all teh same functions as the advanced entry level cameras. However I think it lacks a live view facility. Having said that, I rarely use mine.

Google a load fo reveiw from reputable sites on the various models available, like teh Canon 450D, 500D 550d, Nikon D60 / D3000 / D5000 etc.

Nick,

These days a 450D are thrown at customers with additional lenses, its a 12.2 megapixel camera, and 3.5 F.P.S if you shoot in RAW.
If you think I am stupid....you should see who hired me......:)

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby oddesy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi kenmo :D

looking at your uses for the camera it sounds like the 1000D would be great start to DSLR's for you, although one change i would make is that for wildlife you often end up with your subject quite a distance away so with zoom lenses tend to be at the long end of your zoom where the quality degrades. Instead of the canon i would suggest one of the sigma 70-300 optically better and longer range. Seen a few impresive pictures with it :thumbs_up:
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bushbuddies » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:21 am

Hi Kenmo!
I recently got the Canon 450D with 18--55mm IS and 55-250mm IS plus camera bag and 8GB memory card in a kit - goes for around R8000. Think this is a good deal - and although it is not a 70-300mm as most would recommend for the parks - it has IS (Image Stabiliser)- and if you have to get a 70-300mm with IS - it starts getting a lot more expensive! It all depends on what is more important to you - a few mm or sharper photo's... Good luck with you decision!
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-28 July 2016 - Shingwedzi
28-31 July 2016 - Olifants

NickyG

Unread postby NickyG » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Bushbuddies is right....if you get a change at a stabilised lens take it. Knowing now I would definitly take teh 250mm IS over teh 300m unstabilised i have now...I have to stop teh car, put teh caera and lens on a beanbag and fire.(Everytime)
:slap:
If you think I am stupid....you should see who hired me......:)

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby oddesy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:53 pm

The new sigma 70-300 has stabilisation built into the lens and very decent optics for the class. But looking now it is quite a bit more expensive than the canon 250mm and the shake reduction is very important. My brother always had problems with his un-stabilised lenses so the canon 250 is probably a very good bet or maybe look for a second-hand canon 75-300 IS.
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”