Skip to Content

Picassa photo management tool

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Picassa photo management tool

Unread post by saraf » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:11 pm

Anyone tried Picasa? Possibly one for the beginners of photo manipualtion. I also find it really useful for managing my files. Best of all its free and easy to download. It's actually owned by Google, for some unknown reason.

If anyone fancies having a look see here

eospete

Picase

Unread post by eospete » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:21 pm

Picasa is a great tool indeed. I also use it for rooting out unwanted graphics from saved webpages as it is surprising how over time these pics start to fill up the hard drive.

Regards
P

Meinfam
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

useful photo management tool

Unread post by Meinfam » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:36 am

I have been using Picasa for about 2 yrs now. Not the best editing tool, but for managing your photographs surely one of the best. Very easy to use.

pictureman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by pictureman » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:29 pm

8) Picasa is a really useful and easy bit of kit to use...been using it for the ice hockey pics i take...i think the way the selection is layed out is good and i particularly like the cropping facility

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:33 am

gavinl wrote:Jose, I am refering to the functionality of the software as far as editing and cataloging is concerned.

As José says, Photoshop is the best. Oddly I do not hear you about RAW-converters at all :?: Have a look at Adobe Lightroom. It's still a Beta product, but will incorporate Pixmatec's Rawshooter, which is the best, or one of the best products for converting RAW-files. you can download Lightroom here. Free for the moment, but it will not stay that way, and probably has a limited running time.
gavinl wrote:The firmware interaction is something that I will live with on XP, I have not had problems - YET.

You can always change with which program your files are opened. Rightmouseclick a file, choose "Open with", "Choose Program", choose the program and check the "Alway use the selected program" box. Done!
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

HoepHoep
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by HoepHoep » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:05 pm

Hi
I find ZoomBrowser quite useful for organising my photos and searching. Now I have found out that I can do my own screen saver in ZoomBroser and is therefore more impressed
HoepHoep
The Creator is bigger than His creation!

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NightOwl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:20 am

The Canon bundled software is crap in my opinion. It's SLOWWWW!!!!!
I Use:
Cardreader to Download.
Rawshooter Profesional to convert. (Best & Quickest in the Business)
Photoshop for Major Editing. (Slow on my laptop, but functionality unbeatable)
IRFanview to add IPTC Data (Keyword & add Descriptions and Titles for my stock site)
iViewMediaPro3 for databasing and searching.

IRFanview has a great advantage of quickly resizing an entire directory or batch to other sizes and more options. Also does screensavers and other nifty nice to haves.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:25 am

NightOwl wrote:IRFanview has a great advantage of quickly resizing an entire directory or batch to other sizes and more options. Also does screensavers and other nifty nice to haves.

And it's free, small and very fast. If you mail Irfan with questions or suggestions he will always answer you. I was one of the people suggesting the sortroutine and he quickly built it in.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

iaindr

Unread post by iaindr » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:55 pm

Try Adobe Lightroom Beta 3, which now incorporates Raw Shooter. It is free and along side Elements 4 it will give most photographers sufficient tools
30D
10-20
24-105 IS
70-200 F2.8 IS
100 Macro
Sigma 170-500

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:42 am

just a heads-up; Beta 4 is now available for download on this page. Both OS-X and Windows versions.

We're pleased to announce that Adobe Photoshop Lightroom beta 4 is now ready for you to download and use. This is the first release to reveal the full name we are giving to the product, as Lightroom takes its place as the newest member of the Photoshop family of digital imaging and photography software.
Beta 4 is our biggest milestone to date, with several enhancements and additions, including the achievement of full feature parity between the Windows and Mac OS versions of Lightroom. No matter which platform you prefer, you can now bring the full power of Lightroom beta to your photos.

Lightroom Beta 4 also features:

Groundbreaking changes in the way tone curve adjustments are made and displayed, giving you the highest quality results in an interface that's easier to use than ever before.
More streamlined and elegant user interface - We've made several changes to the look and feel based on your feedback in the earlier beta releases.
- Customizable interface - You can now display only the controls you want to be visible.
- Precision white balance selection tool
- Facility to easily rename and convert files to DNG after they've been imported to the Lightroom library
- Increased interaction between Lightroom library organizational structure and the underlying file system
- Filter and search presets to more quickly find the photographs you want
- Better performance and improved interface for the Web module features
- Develop control improvements based on community feedback, including comments from the Pixmantec user community (welcome!)

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:52 pm

Another heads-up: Irfan Skiljan has put an update online of his super program, Irfanview.
I'm not going to list all of the changes, but here are some:
Option to Search files (File menu or Thumbnails, Hotkey: CTRL+F)
Support for PDF export (PlugIn) (Thanks to ComSquare AG)
New zoom workwise: Centered zoom or based on old scroll position
Zooming and scrolling is now possible in slideshow mode
New Thumbnails sort options: Sort by portrait/landscape
Updated CRW/CR2 PlugIn, please install newest Canon DLLs (see i_plugins.txt)

Download (± 1 Mb)
Download plug-ins (± 5.5 Mb)

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”