Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
vinkie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa

Full frame camera or not?

Unread post by vinkie » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi All,

We have a Nikon D90 and a Nikon D7000 and multiple lenses, I am considering switch to a Full Frame camera but I will still use the D7000....the D90 is my Apex Predators(my wife) camera.

This is my problem:

I want to buy another lens for my D7000, a Nikkor 35mm 1.8 and/or a Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 so that it will give me more possibilities.
But....when I switch to a Full frame I would have to buy other lenses(Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and/or Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8) to get the full profit of a Full frame camera.
I know that the Nikkor 70-200mm 2.8 and the Sigma 500mm 4.5 which we already own will work great on the full frame camera.

I am wondering which Full frame camera should I buy(D600/610/750 or the older 300s) or should I stick to the equipment we already have and buy lenses that fit these cameras?

Thank you all for your help.
Live life on the edge but be careful not to fall off! :wink:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

:dance: Planning our 2017 trip to Kruger National Park or Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park :dance:

JDW

Re: Full frame camera or not?

Unread post by JDW » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi Vinkie
Without doubt the way forward is full frame.
I currently use a D4s, 2 x D3 and a D610.
The D4s is the Rolls Royce of camera bodies - expensive but superb.
However without quality lenses there is no point in buying an FX body.
From my experience always consider second hand equipment as long as it comes from a reputable source.
Of the current FX camera bodies you mention the D750 is probably the best with the D610 close behind it, the D300 is not a full frame camera.
Having said that I would look very seriously at a second hand D3s which is still a very good camera and now that the D4/D4s is out can be acquired for a decent price.
As far as lenses are concerned - prime lenses are always a cut above the rest and Nikon is far better than all the others.
Nikon have recently released some new professional lenses which will be well received by pro photographers around the world who will upgrade and look to sell their redundant kit. Potentially great savings can be made if you can find the top end supplier where the pros have traded in their kit.
My best lenses are 24-70 f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8, 300m f2.8 and the 400mm f2.8 - all top of the range Nikon quality.
I also use the Nikon 1.4 and 1.7 extenders - don't bother with the 2x it takes to long to focus on the larger lenses.
Photography can be as cheap or expensive as you wish - somewhere there is a balance!!
Good luck with your deliberations
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

vinkie
Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa

Unread post by vinkie » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi JDW,

Thank you for your response. :thumbs_up:

Oeps i didn't realize that the D300s isn't a full frame... :redface:

The D3 or even the D4 are over our budget and are professional cameras we are only amateurs enjoying photography and trying to improve our self everyday..

I am afraid that when I buy new lenses for the D7000 I won't be using them anymore on the D6xx or D7xx...
Live life on the edge but be careful not to fall off! :wink:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

:dance: Planning our 2017 trip to Kruger National Park or Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park :dance:

Scottm

Unread post by Scottm » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi Vinkie

Your question is easy to answer .... in typical consultant fashion..... it depends. :P It does, however, raise a few other questions which only you can answer. The answers to these questions will help you answer your own initial question:

What is your typical genre of photography? While you may use your camera for wildlife, do you use it to capture images in may other areas of your life that are not related to "distance" photography? Do you use it for other action-type photography, such as sports, indoors, low-light environments, group photos, landscapes, street photography, portraits, etc, or is it exclusively used of wildlife?

You do have a reasonable collection of equipment that clearly has worked for you in the past. In many instances, adding pro-quality glass should improve the quality of your images, and adding an f1.8/f2.8 lens, be it a prime or zoom, will certainly add to your ability to take images in lower light and/or use a faster shutter speed at a lower ISO setting on your existing cameras. But if you use your camera for more than just wildlife and given your current lens collection, I would seriously consider a move to full frame (my current choice would be the D750) for the following reasons:

All your existing lenses are compatible and will work. Any DX lenses you have will simply cause the camera to automatically step down to DX mode and capture an image as though you were using a DX camera. Your ability to capture low-light images will be significantly increased/improved. Typically, your images from a full frame will be much "cleaner", especially when you are pushing the limits imposed by the technical limitations of the DX sensor on a D90 and/or D7000. The D750 has a dramatically improved focus system over the D7000 and you are likely to get more keepers in a faster moving, action environment. Lastly, but not least, the D750 will be a lot more forgiving in almost any environment and I suspect, even that using the same lenses on both cameras, you would get far more keepers on the D750 than you do on the D7000.

Hopefully I have given you a few additional issues to consider before you take the decision to switch from DX to FX format. Remember that if you ever consider a move to full frame in the longer term (for both you and your good wife), you will be better avoiding investing in expensive DX glass in the short term. Do not see any move to full frame as a clean break, but rather as a transition, and from a lens perspective, it can take place over time.

( :whistle: :hmz: Now that the sales-pitch to Apex Predator is over, I will pop my invoice in the post :rtm: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”