Skip to Content

Adobe Lightroom

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed May 14, 2008 9:20 am

Have a look at Lightroom. You can download it for free, and it'll work for a month.
Or alternatively, download the betaversion of version 2, which will work until the end of August 2008.

A month should be enough to show you the difference between working with jpeg and RAW. Also remember that for photocompetitions you are required to hand in the RAW-file if you may be the winner! So with jpeg only....
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed May 14, 2008 9:51 am

For working with RAW you definitely need it yes.

With lightroom you can adjust colours, light, under-/overexposure, red eyes, crop, level the horizon, and a long list of other stuff.

And all that without changing your original file!
Did something wrong? Just hit the resetbutton, and all changes you made have gone.

Elements (or Photoshop) is more for removing twigs, adding stuff, making layouts for prints and such. And if you make the mistake to save under the same name, your original file is forever gone... (Unless you have a backup.)

Another little difference, changes to RAW-files are written to a little external file, changes to jpeg's are written to jpeg's. And jpeg is a lossy format, which means that with every save you do the quality goes down!
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:06 pm

Postprocessing steps:

First backup to two physically different (external) drives! Put one of these in a safe place, the other you can keep near (not attached to) your PC in case you need to restore files.
Not attached, as in safe against viri, crashes and such.
A 1 Terabyte harddisk will cost you about € 100~125, so that's not the cost, it can store at least the photos of 10 trips!

Next install Lightroom and import the photos.
Browse through them, and give the photos keywords, ratings and flags for your own ease. A red flag might mean "This one I want to print / enlarge!", all depending on what you want it to mean. You can later just filter on this, meaning you find them back in a jiffy. (Blue flag means panoramic photo in my case.)

Then walk through your picks (not pics :wink: ) and where needed:
- remove dust
- adjust exposure
- adjust colours
- add vibrance or clarity
- straighten the horizon
- crop
- remove red eyes

Then decide where you want to export the photos to as TIFF or jpg, what size, and if you want a copyrightnotice on them.
Export and print / upload to a server / mail, whatever you want.

UKbadger

Adobe Lightroom

Unread post by UKbadger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:30 pm

Hi all,

After the usual frustrations getting used to it I don't know how I would manage without Lightroom. :?

Has anyone tryed this new version yet?

Is it worth upgrading?

:hmz:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: ADOBE LIGHTROOM 2

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:12 am

I have both 1.4.1 and 2.0 (beta) installed. In practice I really only use version 1, but I must admit that the new version is getting very nice features, and would not really like to use any other program.

Ollie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Ollie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:20 pm

I upgraded to V2 last month and love the additional features.... :clap: To be honest I now use LR2 all the time.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:44 pm

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

Lightroom 3.0 beta is available!

Some of the new features included for you to play with in the Lightroom 3 beta are:

* Brand new performance architecture, building for the future of growing image libraries
* State-of-the-art noise reduction to help you perfect your high ISO shots
* Watermarking tool that helps you customize and protect your images with ease
* Portable sharable slideshows with audio—designed to give you more flexibility and impact on how you choose to share your images, you can now save and export your slideshows as videos and include audio
* Flexible customizable print package creation so your print package layouts are all your own
* Film grain simulation tool for enhancing your images to look as gritty as you want
* New import handling designed to make importing streamlined and easy
* More flexible online publishing options so you can post your images online to certain online photo sharing sites directly from inside Lightroom 3 beta (may require third-party plug-ins)*

This can be used by anyone, no key or such needed.
You can download the beta and use it until the product expires. The current Lightroom 3 public beta will expire on April 30, 2010.

UKbadger

Unread post by UKbadger » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks for the tip DuQues, I’m still on 1.4 but might consider 3 once it’s been up n running for a bit!

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by oddesy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks DQ :thumbs_up:
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Light Room vs Photo Shop(CS)

Unread post by yoda » Tue May 18, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi,

What can be done with Light Room that can't be done with Photo Shop (CS)?
Do the features overlap?

Thanks
Yoda

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Light Room vs Photo Shop(CS)

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Tue May 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi Yoda,

I see you really want to get into it! well the big difference is that Lightroom is mainly for image control while PS is both image control, paging, editing and a lot of other features.

It really all depends on what you want to do.
- Lightroom the best for image control and maintaining an image archive
- Photoshop the best for all round image control and graphics.
I use both every day and use Lightroom for any colour correction etc and then use PS for the rest.
Also take into consideration pricing, Lightroom is a lot cheaper, as an official PS costs a small fortune!
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

normana53
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by normana53 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:14 pm

I agree with Rumuruti on most points,

I use Lightroom almost exclusively these days as it can do most manipulation that is needed, though Photoshop comes into play when I need additional tools and capabilities. The thing that I like about Lightroom is that it is great for cataloging and archiving photos. Lightroom is also geared specifically towards Digital Photography, where Photoshop offers much more.
Dreaming of our next SANParks adventure
Do Justice, Love Kindness and Walk Humbly

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue May 18, 2010 9:45 pm

It's a bit of comparing apples and pears as we say in Dutch.

Lightroom is your digital darkroom. You can adjust tons of things, like exposure and saturation and way too much to mention.
You can also crop, add watermarks, resize and so on.
It's also great for cataloging, adding metadata, and organising.
Or in other words, all you need to do with your photos.

Photoshop is a program to alter photos.
Remove branches or people, change colours, add a few whatevers.
And for adding text i.e. for posters and such.
It's made for working with layers for easy editing, and things like that.

Since Lightroom 1.0 beta came out it has been almost the only program I use for photos (Irfanview the other). Photoshop is still a mouseclick away, but has all but been retired.

NickyG

Unread post by NickyG » Wed May 19, 2010 9:30 pm

I think it sums it up :

Photography is about what you can capture, and photoshop is about what you can create.

Photoshop is great for messing around, and distorting pics. Lightroom I imagine is more of a picture developent progra.

Either way, you can make a good pic better, but never a bad pic better....
If you think I am stupid....you should see who hired me......:)

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Well, your Beta is almost out of time, the 30st of june will be the last day it works.
Version 3 is out, and I have played with it a bit.

One extremely handy feature is lens correction, which wasn't included in the beta. So I went playing with some graves.....

Subtle differences, but it does show the effects.
The first photo is unaltered, my 28-105 lens at 28 mm and f/14.

The second one has a correction for the 10-22 lens, the third for the 135 mm f/2.

And just to show the differences a little less subtle:

Adjusted for the Nikon AF Fisheye 10.5mm f/2.8.

So you now can get your photos perfect, no reason for odd horizons or roofs anymore.
Now to find profiles for my 28-105 and 100-400...

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”