Skip to Content

My first visit to Mountain Zebra National Park

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My first visit to Mountain Zebra National Park

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:34 am

With my December 2016 MZNP coming up, I thought I’d look back at my first visit to MZNP. Just a few snippets of a lovely visit.

I joined the forum for the first time in 2012, and as I was browsing, I came across some posts about this little gem of a Park. So we visited in December 2012 for the first time. I also visited in April 2014, and will now go back for my 3rd visit.

I had 3 things on my wish list to see –Cheetah, Black Rhino and aardwolf. 2 out of 3 at the end of the trip with 2 additional specials included aren’t too bad.
On our first night we went on a night drive.

IMG_2351_.jpg

IMG_2362_.jpg

IMG_2376.JPG

Not long after we started out, I got my wish and we saw our first aardwolf. I was so excited – I could not believe my luck. And by the end of the evening we had seen 5 individual animals! A perfect start to my relationship with this park.

IMG_2381_.jpg

IMG_2396_.jpg

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: My first visit to Mountain Zebra National Park

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:38 am

The aardwolf was not the only highlight of the night drive. Before we got back to camp we saw 2 really special animals.

IMG_2408_.jpg

IMG_2423_.jpg

I had never seen either of these before, and was absolutely thrilled! Our guide was brilliant, and even he admitted that it had been a very special drive.

The next evening we went on a drive again. Once again, the park was beautiful in the early evening.

IMG_2595_.jpg

IMG_2600_.jpg

IMG_2611_.jpg

My son and I were the only people on the drive. At a specific place we stopped, and went for a short walk, where the guide showed us this special view. MZNP may not be large, and the numbers of animals and variety may be smaller than say KNP. But the views in this little Park makes up for that in a big way!

IMG_2591_.jpg

Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:46 am

Karin Mitton, it is always great to look back at previous visits bring back wonderful memories - this is after all why we love taking photographs, not so :lol:

Seemed you had wonderful experiences during your previous 2 trips.
Lovely :cam: and enjoyed all these sightings :clap:

I will surely enjoy your Dec'16 trip ...and everything that will follow this one :wink: :D
"Everything I do, is exclusively my appreciation for the love of nature and showcase my Creator's creation".

isinkwe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:25 am

And so the list of places still to visit gets longer and longer and longer. Thanks for that Karin :naughty: :D :D
Kruger always seems to take preference as it is only a few hours drive away.
I guess if want to find all those fancy animals , I had better start planning a bit better.
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:40 am

Stunning sightings during your previous visits :clap: :clap: .

Yes, I agree with isinkwe, the list of parks to visit is still very long for us as well. Maybe we should start planning :hmz: .
Always be humble and understanding.
KNP 1-6 March 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Really stunning sightings on your previous two trips to MZNP Karin! Beautiful scenery shots, and great pictures of all your lovely sightings! :clap: :clap:

Glad to see there is another trip coming up! Have a wonderful time and tell us all about it once you are back home! :dance: :dance:
"There can be no friendship without confidence, and no confidence without integrity". - Samuel Johnson.

ritad
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year - Binocular Award (2016)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by ritad » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Karin i'm definintly on board for this Trip :k What an amazing night drive you had with the Porcupine Aardvark and Aardwolf :clap: :clap: :clap: Beautiful landscape :k Thank you :gflower:
2015 TR KRUGERFEVER? - YES WE HAVE

179 Days

Bookings 2017
- Tamboti 23-26.09 - LST3
- Letaba 26-29.09 - BD2U
- Balule 29-30.09 - EH3
- Satara 30-02.10 - BD2V
- Skukuza 02-05.10 - LR2W
- Crocodile Bridge 05-07.10 - BD3
- Biyamiti 07-09.10 - NCO2+2V

Pumbaa
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Pumbaa » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:56 pm

The sightings of the Porcupine, Aardvark and Aardwolf would already have made my trip - In fact such very special ones and you even just entered the park :big_eyes: :mrgreen:

This park is still on my wishlist and hopefully same can be visited one day :thumbs_up:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:12 am

Oh wow, what a beautiful evening. :D Just perfect.

Your night drive sightings are quite out of this world. Ardvark, ardwolf, porcupine :dance: :dance: :dance:

This is one of my favorite Parks. The scenery and atmosphere is just so soulful.

:popcorn:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

jjames04
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2015)

Unread post by jjames04 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:29 am

Hi Karin,

What great photos and to have seen an Aardwolf is very special. I hope this next trip is as productive for you.

Cheers,

Joe

Blydeboer

Unread post by Blydeboer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:51 am

Wow! An Aardvark and an Aardwolf! That is very, very, very unique!!! MZNP is very special for me as well! We always stop here on our way to Tsitsikamma and I always try for at least two nights. Thank you Karen for sharing!

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:48 am

Kaapsedraai wrote:Karin Mitton, it is always great to look back at previous visits bring back wonderful memories - this is after all why we love taking photographs, not so :lol:

Seemed you had wonderful experiences during your previous 2 trips.
Lovely :cam: and enjoyed all these sightings :clap:

I will surely enjoy your Dec'16 trip ...and everything that will follow this one :wink: :D

hilda wrote:Really stunning sightings on your previous two trips to MZNP Karin! Beautiful scenery shots, and great pictures of all your lovely sightings! :clap: :clap:

Glad to see there is another trip coming up! Have a wonderful time and tell us all about it once you are back home! :dance: :dance:

ritad wrote:Karin i'm definintly on board for this Trip :k What an amazing night drive you had with the Porcupine Aardvark and Aardwolf :clap: :clap: :clap: Beautiful landscape :k Thank you :gflower:

Thank you Kaapsedraai, hilda, ritad. My 2012 visit to MZNP will always be one of the most special visits to any Park. Just as I visit KNP every year, I am now trying to visit MZNP every 2nd year.

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:50 am

isinkwe wrote:And so the list of places still to visit gets longer and longer and longer.

barryels wrote:Yes, I agree with isinkwe, the list of parks to visit is still very long for us as well. Maybe we should start planning :hmz: .

I KNOW!!!

I read about the other parks that the 'Mites visit, and my list is growing as well. So many places to see, so little time! :hmz:

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:53 am

Pumbaa wrote:The sightings of the Porcupine, Aardvark and Aardwolf would already have made my trip - In fact such very special ones and you even just entered the park :big_eyes: :mrgreen:

This park is still on my wishlist and hopefully same can be visited one day :thumbs_up:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Pumbaa, my first day in MZNP really exceeded all my expectations, and I will never forget it.

Meandering Mouse wrote:Oh wow, what a beautiful evening. :D Just perfect.

Your night drive sightings are quite out of this world. Ardvark, ardwolf, porcupine :dance: :dance: :dance:

This is one of my favorite Parks. The scenery and atmosphere is just so soulful.

:popcorn:

MM, that game drive on the first evening was really fantastic. The atmosphere, the sightings, the fabulous guide - perfection.

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:54 am

jjames04 wrote:Hi Karin,

What great photos and to have seen an Aardwolf is very special. I hope this next trip is as productive for you.

Cheers,

Joe

Blydeboer wrote:Wow! An Aardvark and an Aardwolf! That is very, very, very unique!!! MZNP is very special for me as well! We always stop here on our way to Tsitsikamma and I always try for at least two nights. Thank you Karen for sharing!

jjames04, Blydeboer, Those sightings were unique indeed. And this small little park still has so much to offer that I am yet t see - always a reason to go back!

Return to “Travel Tales”