MxM's solo photographic and birding tour. KTP, Oct/Nov. '13

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: KTP - a solo photographic and birding tour

Unread post by MxM » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Day 6 continued

The middle of the day is never a good time for landscape photography. Well, I liked the idea of making this image - I deliberately took it to make it look stark: the harsh light and dark areas make the desert struggle come through, well, to me anyhow. This was just a typical scene from next to the road.

This is sort of the same place with me trying to have rescued detail from the image. I prefer the previous image though.

Oh look, there is a lion. Okay, so you cant see it. That is because I did not bother taking a picture. I was flagged down and told of 2 lions lying near the road. And they were. But, they were lying under a tree doing less than nothing. Only I had seen this same thing earlier, only from even closer. I did sit and watch the beasts for a while, but they were not worth too many photographs. Sometimes that is okay for me though, photos are sometimes art and sometimes records, but viewing something and not taking a pic allows for a memory that only you will keep. But here is Union's end, a really boring image, but, compulsory. At the northernmost part there was a dead thorn tree lying across the road. And I drove over it. It was still relatively freshly there but there were at least a few cars that had gone over it so I geared down to first and lined up to go through the exact line that the previous tyres had taken away the thorns. But I was scared. On the way back I thought I was silly, but I had to make it to the top of the park.

Having waited long enough I made it to Grootkolk. Nossob-UE-Grootkolk, what a drive. Then, having been shown #3, I unpacked. How happy I was to find a good shot of this black-chested prinia awaiting me. Taken from my verandah.

More to come...

John
Moments by Mullineux Photography
Photographer, nature lover, birder

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Day 6 continued

And now for some embarrassment, although delayed. I had heard about a barn owl at Grootkolk, I needed a barn owl on my list, and got it there. However, Franco tells me that the poor owl has become skittish as a result of all the attention and now has started moving to other trees than normal. I was, however, only told this after I got my shots. It was fun getting to check the water level and that all was well at the reservoir though, would offer the lift again, but perhaps not walk towards and poke a lens at the owl. Anyhow, it is on my list and I have given Franco's message though as requested. What a beautiful bird though.

Not much really went on for me at Grootkolk over the days I was there. However, I did enjoy watching hoards of sociable weavers at my tent/chalet. For some reason, although rather spread out, come around 1600, a mob formed on the same branch, each afternoon. And no, it was not because of food that I had thrown down, but it was intriguing. Anybody know why? Anyhow, here are some images of the focused group.

LOOK! There... I got another of the birdies I had been searching for, and an ok shot too. These Kalahari robins are even more pretty than pictures show and the apparent attitude is entertaining, although they sit still as much as significantly smaller lbjs.

Then the sun set on my first day in the wild wild.

Okay, so there was some fun at the camp. Two men of the bush arrived as it was getting very dark. Franco had been sitting with me on my verandah talking about life in and out the park. It is amazing how a few simple questions can elicit stories that take hours to tell. It was great fun talking with the man about how he missed his family and also how he knew birds based on their call. The more I spoke with him the more comfortable I felt that if I blew my whistle (the safety device for being mauled by a lion - a small read toy hanging from a piece of string from the ceiling near the bathroom door) I would be protected. These two magnificent males got closer and later one lay between me in 3 and 4 and the other on the far side of 4, roaring, earth shattering blood freezing roars. It was as if my bones were shaking but my teeth were not rattling as I smiled. I felt oddly safe with the piece of canvas between me and certain death as I lay in my bed listening to the most powerful serenade the world can produce. I have read many people liking this sort of thing, but I found it something undescribeable, there was something primal about the time I spent that night listening to nature at its most potentially dangerous self, only I was separated from it just enough not to fear imminent death. There was a fellow photographer parked at 1 and he had the mother of all torches which rather much helped my camera in the low light. By the time the lions were at the water, poor Franco had to make sure he could see both at the same time before making his fast but calm trip to his own bed. He mentioned that he did not so much fear lions as he could see them, leopards, her said, could wait for him anywhere and pounce if they felt like it without him knowing nearly as easily. Would not have guessed, I would not venture too far from my wooden door and mesh windows as they are obviously totally lionproof. I so want to go back to get this again!

This shot is more art and less accurate depiction, think impressionist period.

And so ended my first day at Grootkolk. Alarm set at the traditional 0516 (although this around 6 minutes fast), camera setup on the spare bed, on a wet towel, life was simple, but simple is good.

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:21 pm

11.7. Day 7 – Silence from here to there

Distance covered:0 km
Route traveled:Stayed at Grootkolk the entire day
Daily fuel consumption:N/A
Maximum temperature: 39oC
Food: not a braai as I could not find good meat at Nossob which was a little bit of a shock. Jungle oats bars, All-in-one bars, lots of Game mixed with water and ice, droewors from Nossob, nougat, chips, tin of something, think it was meatballs and spaghetti
Highlights spotted: open spaces of quiet; the so-called normal animals became interesting to see as they came to my waterhole
Favourite moment: waking up in a place this remote with all the anticipation of the day, all starting with my own personal quiet vista
Birding lifers: pallid harrier, great sparrow, black-faced waxbill
List of birds for this trip: pallid harrier, great sparrow, red-billed quelea, black-faced waxbill

This day proved to be one that was insanely simple. There was getting up, getting my cameras ready, getting my chair ready, sitting on my veranda watching both my log and the waterhole. I should explain the log. I took a large(ish) log with me that I could use as a natural perch for my little bird shots. The log was rested on the corner of the fence around my unit so that I could sit on the veranda and picture both the log and the waterhole from the same spot. What a lovely feeling.

From a view point of view, while the fence did not bother me too much, the fence post in the corner blocked my main view. Guess it is fine, just not really that sure what the fence really does, other that define where I am allowed to walk.

There were odd things to see on this day, things that on other days did not register as relevant really. Some wildebeest ran to the waterhole, had a really short drink and then raced away again, funny, but that is the type of thing one can appreciate when sitting with no plans other than where to sit and where to stare, such complex choices, I know…

Disaster! Seriously, big boo boo: my notes had started disappearing! It turns out that the pen I was using, while really nice to write with, had heat sensitive ink, joy, what type of engineer takes a heat sensitive pen into the desert? Anyhow, so I started to type up the notes as best I could by using the slight black lines and indentations in the pages. But then, out of nowhere, something odd flashed. I left my laptop and settles on my other chair with the camera ready. Yes, what a find, it was a new birdy for me, the black-eared waxbill. I was hoping to see one although I was searching more for the violet version (which I never got to see, but oh well, more reason to return).

Of course, by no, the big story of my Grootkolk stay had occurred, but more on that later. Franco helped me out the sticky situation though, not sure I would have managed (and definitely should not have attempted to) by myself.

It got really bright early on. More so than other days. At least I had my dark glasses one. I ended up sitting with my feet up and reading my stack of travel magazines while waiting for something to happen. I felt something like what the first explorers/settlers must have felt when they sat reading and every page or so looking up and scanning the world in front of them for any movement, and then turning the page; it was hot, but calm. I had my binoculars with me and used them for the first time on this trip. Also, this was the only time I used them, don’t think I will bother with them again, use my camera rather.

Flies are the new bees. Bees can be kept at bay by never using the outside tap (it does tend to drip a bit after use plus then there is always a little moisture left in the area) but rather the one in the bathroom. Also, keep the doors closed at all times – given, in this desert area that is good sense anyhow, but especially for the bees, be quick when opening and closing). A note to those who are concerned, the doors are lined with a variable bar (not sure what its real name is) that will keep anything from crawling in underneath while you sleep; that said, the tent is canvas and lions have claws; but at least you can protect yourself from scorpions and bees with the door. The flies were pesky though, any drink or any item with a smell attracted flies, I hate flies. But I think they were worse as each fly was a bee until proven otherwise.

A random thing kept happening (and by random I mean unexpected to me), a glossy starling chased al the sociable weavers off my log. Not the waxbills, only the sociable weavers. The weavers, in turn, chased away the red-eyed bulbuls. Simple thigns one notices when there are no phones, no plans, nothing more than do I read more magazine and do I want more to drink. Starting to wish I was there again.

Something odd happened later the day, a sociable weaver, for no apparent reason, decided to climb on my shoe and peck my leg, and then repeated this on the other leg. I just sat still and enjoyed being this close to such a new bird (new for me). Simplicity and enjoying such things seems to be the theme for this day.

I did not see much really, but a red hartebeest, some springbuck and three herds of wildebeest came to the waterhole by lunch. The dunes were surreally pretty at midday.

And the wildebeest kept the kudu from drinking.

I really did polish a lot of cooldrink this day. Also had Sparberry and Tab with me, was not sure if the water with Game would be ok for me or not – it was, but some bubbles were a welcome variation.

A very timid little mongoose came to visit. And by visit, I mean inspect the general area. He barely ventured to within my walking zone and if I so much as breathed normally he ran away.

Later in the afternoon Franco walked out to the waterhole to make sure that all was well. It was.

Later Franco came to clean my place. I told him it was not necessary. He, however, insisted that he then just needed to wash the shower as if it were left for three days that the scale would be so bad that it would take ages to clean. So I let him to it; I did request that he does not change my towels or linen, seriously, I don’t put on new sheets every day at home, so why waste water and effort here now just because someone else will do it. The water saving really was something I thought about a lot while out here, there really is so little of it.

I considered going for a drive. I especially wanted to go a little north and a little south of Grootkolk on the main road to get some landscape shots. However, for the first day in the park, there was not a single cloud, so I decided to continue resting with my eyes open at the dry world in front of me. Later I heard that the guys in tent 1 saw a honey badger and a brown hyena, but not much else that whole day, so I felt it was okay to have rested at camp, the other couple in tent 4 saw nothing of much interest, so really, camp rest was fine for me.

I started to really miss my family this day. It is one thing not to see them, it is much worse not even being able to send an sms or smoke signal to let each other know that all is well. Oddly, even before cells were common, we would make plans with Scotsman’s call from ticky boxes or something let other parties know we are okay. Also, while I do not really need a fancy coked meal each night, after a week of mostly scraps, I was missing a good plate of something. I decided that I would go get another piece of venison pie when I reached Twee Rivieren again.

For supper I did have something special though, a tin of spaghetti and meatballs at room temperature (which was pretty warm) and a glass of Tab and a crossword. Relax.

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Day 7 continued

A random shot from the morning

Guess I need to share at least one image with that many words...

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Day 7 continued

Up at a late 0526 (did not need the 10 min to get ready and pack the car and wait at the gate, I was already packed and at the gate :D ) I went to see what was out there. I found the world's hungriest springbok.

Ok, so let's get to it. I found this next to my door. Now, for those who know Grootkolk, this guy was lying between the pillars immediately left of the front door as I walk out. I noticed him after my third trip between the cameras inside that I was taking outside to my chair that I had placed at the edge of the veranda (where I use a bean bag for dead rest). I sillyly (as much as it is to say this word fast three times first thing the morning) walked past it another few times thinking to myself that as it is quite cold and it is a fat lazy puff adder, so long as I dont get too close, all will be fine. Only later did I find out that this fat slug of a snake has the second fastest strike of all snakes in the world - seriously people, take note: a puff looks lazy but can get ya before you move! But until I knew that I had peace with my new uninvited neighbour over for breakfast so long as he kept to his side of the veranda; later, as I grew tired of checking that he was at the same place every 40 seconds or so, I rather moved my setup to under the tree. I told Franco of my new companion but reassured him that he could really first finish cleaning the tent next door before worrying about my puff adder, after all, this morning was not heating up quickly so I figured that it would remain put for a while, particularly as the place he was may have been protected from wind but was certainly void of any sun/warmth.

After a while Franco was worried about me. Also, I really needed some sunscreen. The sunscreen was in the car. The car keys were in the tent. Problem. So between jobs I did request the removal of my morning companion and Franco pleasantly obliged. Luckily I had a longer lens, but Franco, for a short time, kept the puff adder nearby that I could get a souvenir shot. Hereafter he put the giant worm in the bush, then picked it up again and walked really deep into the bush and placed it again as the critter kept trying to come back.

Oh, and there was an unhappy wildebeest there that morning too.

Until the rest of the morning.

(btw, for those with a faint heart, this was the last of my scary encounters - 2 puff adders in living quarters, 1 scorpion that was afraid of my torch and a giant killer rebel of a wasp at the Melkvlei ablutions)

John

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:37 pm

Day 7 continued

Jip, a snake is scary but also a part of nature, so here is a close-up (btw, I was not really close for this shot, 500 mm lens) of when the brown scary tried to return to the tent.

Imagine my happiness when Franco recognised a call. A call of a bird I had not yet spotted. Unfortunately he had heard it earlier at a different tent, but I knew to keep an eye out. And only around 20 minutes after hearing of their presence, I spotted 2 black-eared waxbills. Now you may remember that the violet-eared version was on my seriously wished for list, but I take any new birdy anyday.

There remained precious little headline level action, so I used my time to try getting some different shots of more common sights. Particularly as it got so hot so early.

Okay, so some of those shots were relatively standard, but I was thinking about doing something different. Sometimes I like to think of a shot I would like to try and practice it, that way, even if it does not come off, when reviewing the images later, I can see whether it is something worth putting more effort into getting or if it is one of my grand ideas that should remain an idea as the shot will just not have the same impact as the version my mind had created. But thinking of shots is always good.

Until later, here is a shot of my most sociable companions.

Have a great weekend all

John

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:25 pm

Day 7 continued

I was lucky enough to see some kudu. Although there were no really good pictures, it is still cool to take some pics for memory. I actually had forgotten about these and would have never remembered unless I had this shot.

Then, back to my birds. I now have these red-headed finches at my house rather regularly, but their bright feathers always cheer me up. So here is to hoping you like them too.

Although obviously necessary, it was not obvious to me before the trip that our friend Franco would need to walk to the waterhole each day, usually in the heat of the day, to ensure all was well and wet. Well, here he is doing it.

Have a pleasant evening all, until the last episode of Grootkolk.

And thanks for all the pleasant comments, I love sharing my images and thoughts here :gflower: :thumbs_up: :D

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Day 7 continued

Well, as I wind down the end of my last day at Grootkolk, I have time to hope for some basics. How about a revisit by a new friend? This black-faced waxbill hung around a while, keeping out the arguments that the other birds were having, sitting on my branch and getting to the water behind it when the naughty birds were away swinging handbags.

Then I bothered to take a shot of a lizard that had been super busy the whole day. These are something I have seen all over, but as they were so cheerful and diligent in whatever they were doing, so I took a shot.

As the shadows grew, the sun was still scorching. I took a few shots of approaching wildebeest, the most common thing I saw at Grootkolk, with different settings to see later which would have the best capture of the mood: hot, tired, really tired, really hot, but still in need of a drink so we walk, in the hot, while tired. Also notice how small changes in their relative positions changes the impact of the overall composition - small things that mean I should have had my settings right and ready, but I had to experiment as I was not in control of what I wanted - this is why I encourage all people with cameras to just take pictures, try different things, eventually we will know what we want AND will be able to make it happen in that instant. One day...

I again was sitting with a new friend (this time a human variety), Franco. He came over to make sure all was okay as he did his rounds upon which I invited him over for a bit. What another wonderful quiet time we had shooting the breeze - there was no breath of real wind though, so the good conversation made the heat disappear, or perhaps it was the ice. But, as I was enjoying the darkness (no lights outside means no insects in my ice or mouth or generally buzzing around me), there was a sudden thud, the type of thud that could be from a snake moving heavily from one point to another. Not what I wanted - I am fine with snakes when they are cold and I can see them, less so now. I quickly switched on my head torch only to find that I had found another reptile, but a super small cute one, not a vicious killer adder - however, after finding 2 snakes in a few days, I am okay with being wary. Cute little fella? I probably could have gotten a much better shot, but I was tired and rather enjoying my ice with Franco. Sometimes, although few times, it is better to just enjoy the nature than freeze it for future viewing.

And so ends my last day at a dream location, Grootkolk. I am not sure that I will rush there again, I liked Nossob too, also I like Urikaruus. But, and I cannot stress this enough, there is no place I have been where there was more peace or more safe solitude - knowing that Franco is a scream away makes being out in the scary bush more realistic. So my message is go, for 2 nights, at least once, just try it. I would not go there again expecting to see much, rather to see what there is to see and feel my way through the day. Perhaps driving around more up there is good, but who knows. And go alone if you can - find yourself in the vista of heat and quiet, during a day when time stands still although the sun moves. I left a piece of myself at Grootkolk but find more of myself than I had known when I arrived. Go, book, now.

Until day 8

John

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:24 pm

It has been a while, I know. Was on a safari (private reserve) for some special birding (got to see a variety of Natal species, including a pink-throated twinspot from 4.5 metres in the open) and stock shooting. Got all the images processed and uploaded, so now back to this report.

11.8. Day 8
Distance covered: 477 km
Route travelled: Grootkolk-Nossob-Kwang-Nossob
Daily fuel consumption:8.3 l/100km
Maximum temperature: 41oC (31oC by 9 am!)
Food: Pie, small bottle of juice
Highlights spotted: swirl of vultures, honey badger
Favourite moment: watching sunset at wildebeest
Birding lifers: grey-backed sparrowlark
List of birds for this trip: white-headed vulture, rock dove, barn swallow, grey-backed sparrowlark

I will add more story after I post a few pics for a change...

Some not so interesting wildebeest from my tent

This is a simple sparrow, but it looks different owing to the use of flash.

The view of the tent from the front door.

The view of the tent from the bathroom.

The tent is really more spacious than one may think and certainly spacious enough for what one needs. That veranda with the giant open space is enough room! Sit out there and just stare (with the camera nearby that is).

Until the next time

John

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:45 pm

Day 8 continued...

I had actually forgotten about this sighting. I guess that accentuates how great my sightings were. This silly cheetah (and I only say that as there were a few sightings prior and after this one) walked in the road for around 10 min, but never looked back at me. I was desperate to get a good picture, and sadly, did not bother to just drive a distance behind this gorgeous creature and enjoy the spots.

And now for something completely different, a puddle in the desert. This time, with the ultimate survivor having a quick drink. While the light was not really working for me, and a wide shot looked more like a logbook and less like a pleasing piece of art, I tried to get a little closer with more mm, but kept the reflection for more interest.

A new birdy for the trip for me, here is a decent shot of one. The full underside makes it easier to ID. Yeay, I like me a good eagle sighting. This was taken at the start of one of the longest sequences of raptor images I have clicked. I spotted this eagle flying overhead, coming lower as if to drink, which it did not. Having stopped poking my lens in the air and putting a cramp in my neck, I noticed where I was, at a congregation of the entire vulture population of the entire KTP.

But more about the raptors of the waterhole in the next episode.

Have a pleasant day all

John

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Day 8 continued...

On preparing to leave my now beloved Grootkolk, I wrote a long sincere goodbye / thank you to Franco. Here was a man that took pride in being a part of SANParks and who made making guests enjoy the reality and value of Grootkolk an unhindered opportunity. Of course, the man was up early to start cleaning. He started with tent 4 next to me so as to avoid working in the heat and to make sure that all the places were sparkly before the next set of guests arrived.

There was precious little to see again at the waterhole in front of my tent, jackal and wildebeest the only real sights. However, I was treated to a Kalahari scrubrobin coming close to my area and waiting around for a couple decent record shots. Oh, and the bees were back, not that I had done anything to encourage them, but there was less wind so there were 2 or 3 hanging around.

Something I forgot to mention, on the trip down, at the water that was lying in the road, was the stench. I assume that the ground was so hard that the water could not drain immediately, and although it was hot, there was a deep pool at the one place and on my return journey I got a wiff of something a few days old. Interesting to find that in the desert I thought.

On the return trip I made a point of taking the optional roads so that I could know I traveled all roads open to 2x4 vehicles on my trip (which I did do!). Happily I can report that the longer road options traveling south from Grootkolk were all in good condition, so fear not about that when taking the choice at a T - the less traveled road may be better...

I stopped at Bedinkt when I saw some bird action. I had never really seen secretary birds flying, but watching them glide in and spiral before landing next to the water in the hot sun was fun, odd, but fun.

There was a rather upset gemsbok, with one horn, that ran around to chase away the other gemsbok. Luckily he was less annoyed by the secretary birds. Again, as I had taken more than 10 decent record shots of these gorgeous animals, I tried some slow shutter panning work. Some shots were with really slow shutter speeds, but that is fun, although quite hit and miss. Note that any dirt on the lens (which even I got although I was very careful to keep the lenses covered while driving or resting, there is just dust so it will eventually happen, and just wiping it off in the car leads to a risk of scratching the lens - so I rather do all my cleaning at the huts under controlled conditions, and rather clean the images in Photoshop later) will come up as a clear black dot the higher the f number (smaller the aperture). It does help that these gemsbok keep their heads parallel to the ground when they are going at full speed, other times their heads bob up and down a bit much to get a sharp head in the slow shutter world. But take lots of shots, somewhere one works...

Until the next episode (which will focus much on the vultures and eagles of the next waterhole).

John

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Day 8 continued...

There are a lot of shots from a single sighting. There are vultures, eagles, secretary birds and more vultures, all at one spot. I was there for almost 2 hours watching them all fly, drink, argue, land, walk and just be. Somehow I reckon that for the rest of the KTP, for those 2 hours, nobody else got to see anything larger than a fawn coloured lark...

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Day 8 continued...

Again, here are some vulture and co shots...

I think I have posted the last one before, but to answer the questions around it, yes I think this was Kwang, yes those are more vultures under the tree, and although it was not asked, yes there was another large huddle nearby. The general aerial shot gives a clue as to the number of species: bateleur, secretary bird, tawny eagle, martial eagle, BCSE, WB vulture, lappet-faced vulture (which is huge, as in seriously huge, one came over my car at close range, wow, HUGE!), white-headed vulture, ummm, some others that I cannot remember as my notes faded (hehe, the joy of a heat-fading ink in the desert, me be dumdum). But what a sight.

As an aside, would anyone, particularly those who are not huge on serious photography, let me know what you think of the motion blur images. I was still new to the style (have worked on it much in the last year) but would appreciate any comments based on feel. Btw, the one of the two lappet-faced with heavy blur was when a fight broke out over a piece of shade. I think I am the only person that likes the shot though.

Another note, this one to those who do take their red vs gold ring seriously (photographers), the advise that has been widely noted about dust showing up on apertures with f higher than 13 or so, is true, all dust shows up as a black dot, easy to fix in post, but annoying if it is on an eye or something...

Have a great weekend end all.

John of MxM

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Day 8 continued...

So as to ward against boring you with more vultures, here are some of the bateleurs that were at Kwang.

After an extended stay watching the vultures, and after they took turns to take off or move to further away tree, I decided to move south so Cubitjie Quap. There I parked on the afternoon spot between the trees. Another photographer was already there, but as we are all mostly there with the same idea, after I scratched my car a little trying to get a shaded spot with a view without bothering her view, she moved like half a metre forward and then I could easily park closer to the trees and all was well. Amazing how a friendly question and gesture with both understanding the intent to merely share a special spot can get all parties happy (today I had someone drive behind me in a carpark where I was looking for parking hoot and rev his engine as I was looking too slowly, really, seriously, hope he NEVER goes to KTP, we dont need that sort of thing there). More bateleurs, both juvenile and adult were drinking and flying in/out.

More of these typical images later. I always like to get the more standard shots out the way, because I need to take them, then they are mine too, but I need them, only thereafter can I start to allow my mind to look for something new or interesting.

Until next time

John

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:44 pm

Day 8 continued...

So, there I was sort of minding my own business, when a giant shadow came from overhead and then, in front of me, there was a secretary bird. I like these bird.

Then, even more out of nowhere, well, not really nowhere, it was hot and windy and the area dry, there was a spiral of hot dust. Perhaps it is not that interesting, but it reminds me that it was hot and dry and windy that day.

More bateleur.

Always menacing, never pretty, but a worthy subject for the moment, a crow. A dark cold sad creature that enjoyed drinking from the water outlet.

A friend of the pipe as well was the resident jackal. CQ seemed all the more exciting now that I could see this fella. The next morning was all the better for having this creature at this waterhole. I like CQ.

A bird I have been chasing. And will continue to chase. I could not get the shot here because he insisted on staying in the shade, and when he came out it was quickly here and faster there, huh, the magnets that pull us places. Anyhow, here is my much admired for its plumage and character bird, the Kalahari scrubrobin.

Next I return a little north to see some more birds and springbuck. Well, shutdown starts tomorrow, as do my shifts, so I will type as I get a chance.

Keep well and keep safe

John

Return to “Travel Tales”