Skip to Content

Our 2016 Kruger holiday for 3

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
Merlin11
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our 2016 Kruger holiday for 3

Unread post by Merlin11 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:22 pm

What could we call our trip report? This was a holiday of wonderful experiences, fantastic animal sightings and seeing birds, sounds crazy as we have always had bird sightings but never before actually looked for, or looked at birds :D
So what could our title be....... Couldn't think of anything witty so simply its Our 2016 Kruger holiday for 3.

This trip was slightly different in as much as my dad who is 85 came with us! My dad was one of those people in the world that thought SA was a dangerous place to visit, he had last visited and experienced a very different SA in the 60's and thought it was still like that. We have been fortunate that we have had a few holidays to Kruger over the past decade, on previous trips we have had to phone/email/FaceTime him everyday to let him see we were still alive, after 60years he still worried about his little girl! My dad has a passion about photography and recently bought a new camera, sadly my mum passed away and so I asked my dad if he would like to come with us, never in a million years did I expect him to say yes. Without hesitation he accepted, and within 1 hour I was on the website looking for accommodation availability before he could change his mind. A few months later I did ask him why he decided to join us, he said he had never ever heard me enthuse and be so passionate about anything as I am about Kruger.

I tried to complete a Trip report once before but never finished it, life got in the way and problems with our photos didn't help, so this time photos are done first, hence the delay in getting this started, so let's get this trip on the road :popcorn:

Merlin11
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Our 2016 Kruger holiday for 3

Unread post by Merlin11 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:14 pm

Our accommodation had been booked 11months ago, I had taken what was available and then at every opportunity I checked to try and change it to what we ideally wanted. Soon became apparent that 2 bedroomed accommodation isn't as readily available as one bedroomed , I know we could have booked 2 huts but really wanted my dad under the same roof so to speak. So, we never actually managed to change any accommodation from our original reservation, 5 nights Skukuza, 4nights Satara, 4 nights Biyimati.

We left Heathrow late one evening, it was cold and wet so we were dressed in long trousers, fleeces and rain jackets. How inappropriately dressed were we for our arrival at Skukuza airport 11am the next morning, a blue cloudless sky and 35 degrees.

We had already got our Wild Cards online so only had to get our entry permit and considering the flight was full we were surprised that we were the only ones queuing to get the permit and a car, most people seemed to be being picked up :hmz:

The car was slightly bigger than normal, the back seat is normally for camera equipment and snacks/drinks on the floor behind the seats, as this time someone had to sit in the back we went for something slightly bigger a Hyundai IX35, this worked perfectly for us :thumbs_up: soon realised the best seat in the car was that back seat, could slide easily from side to side depending on the sighting :D :D

Even though the flights were good we were tired. Especially my dad as he had been travelling for 18hours by this point, so yellow ribbon attached ( thanks Barry and Hilda who had kindly given it to us on a previous trip :dance: ), cameras unpacked we set off to Skukuza camp to see if we could check in early. We completed the paperwork and told to come back at 2pm for the key, went to the shop for some cold drinks and thought where could we go for a couple of hours, not to far to drive, not to energetic, somewhere to sit, in the shade just with our drinks and cameras, now where could that be ..... :hmz:

Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:19 pm

Lake Panic?

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:57 pm

Has to be Lake Panic ? Already loving this TR.
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Merlin11
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Merlin11 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:59 pm

Lake Panic :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D , well done Jo and Mischief pretty obvious I guess :clap:

What a place, pulled into the circle and glad that we only saw 5 cars there already, before the trip I had told my dad how he couldn't get out of the car just anywhere and the reasons why, I obviously did such a good job that he was very nervous when I said to him just get out of the car and walk to the gate :shock: I have never seen him move so fast :D

Can you imagine walking into the hide and seeing the wonders of Lake Panic for the first time, at 85 years old :D There wasn't much around but our cameras started clicking away very quickly

ImageImage

cheetahlady
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:28 am

How special to share the experience with your dad. Proof that it is never too late.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Lower Sabie, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)
Location: Comberton, Cambridge UK ...rejoicing at the beauty of planet Earth.Next trip booked.

Unread post by umtali1 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:49 am

How wonderful that your dad came with you :clap: :clap: . I hope his latest experience reassured him.

Looks like a wonderful start. I've booked my seat and have plenty of supplies. So, I'm looking forward to reading all about it :popcorn: :popcorn:

Happy new year :gflower:
umtali1

2016 Reis Verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

2013 Mokala and KNP,
2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:28 pm

I was really looking forward to this trip report Merlin11! So glad your Dad joined you on this trip! :dance: :dance:

Lake Panic was the ideal place for the three of you to enjoy a cold drink until it was time to get the key to your chalet, especially after such a long flight! :clap: :clap:

Beautiful Water Thick-knee, huge Croc and the Ellie trying to cool down! Not bad for a quiet time at Lake Panic! :dance: :dance:

Looking forward to the next episode! :popcorn:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela.

chirinda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by chirinda » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:04 pm

So the first place you go to, Lake Panic, and you see an ellie there. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Glad your Dad was able to come with you, sounds like you all had a great time.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Merlin11
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Merlin11 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:48 pm

cheetahlady wrote:How special to share the experience with your dad. Proof that it is never too late.

Very true CheetahLady, it was nice to see my dad enjoying himself after a tough year.

umtali1 wrote:How wonderful that your dad came with you . I hope his latest experience reassured him.

Definetly Umtali, he absolutely loves Kruger, although he didn't experience SA beyond Kruger and JNB airport, he acknowledges he needs to accept he might have been wrong, and would definetly go again if fit and able :dance: :dance: :dance: Next time I need to get him to be more adventurous with food, he is very much a meat and 3veg man and that's meat and veg he has heard of :wall: Plus, if he doesn't come again at least I will not have to make contact daily as he knows it's only the elephants I need to worry about :D

hilda wrote:Lake Panic was the ideal place for the three of you to enjoy a cold drink until it was time to get the key to your chalet, especially after such a long flight!

So right, Hilda :lol:

chirinda wrote:Glad your Dad was able to come with you

Me to, plus even better, he would go back :thumbs_up:
Last edited by Merlin11 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merlin11
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Merlin11 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:33 pm

It got to about 3pm at Lake Panic and we all decided we would take a slow drive back to camp, pick up some groceries, tea, coffee, milk etc and hoped that by then it would time to get our key, nothing beats a cup of tea to get us going again!

We had bungalow 224, it was on the outer perimeter and well spaced out from the other bungalows, we had always stayed in the riverside bungalows previously but this area was much quieter! I know Skukuza is not to everyone's liking but we liked this part of the Camp very much.

Dad was too tired to go out for a late drive that evening so we left him on the verandah, with a cup of tea and his crossword book and off we went. We just headed towards the Sabie River, there's a little dirt road that runs parallel with H4-1 so just went along there and back to camp. Saw giraffe, we could watch them for ages, their tongues are so long :roll:

And then an animal we had never seen before so at the time had no idea what it was, we now believe it is an African civet ( thanks to Chirinda for correcting us :gflower:, we thought a genet initially :whistle: )
Image Image
Last edited by Merlin11 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Merlin11 wrote:Can you imagine walking into the hide and seeing the wonders of Lake Panic for the first time, at 85 years old

I can just imagine - the thought actually brings tears to my eyes. I've never seen an ellie at LP - wonderful!

chirinda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by chirinda » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Hey well!! That's a African civet that you saw. They are much more likely to be seen at night, and not all that often. Fancy seeing one in daylight. :dance: :dance: :dance:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)
Location: Comberton, Cambridge UK ...rejoicing at the beauty of planet Earth.Next trip booked.

Unread post by umtali1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:52 pm

It's a bit difficult to beat sitting looking out over the perimeter fence with a crossword book in your hand :D

Meat and 3 veg is a wee bit tricky on a braai. :hmz: :whistle: Isinkwe would only have the meat :lol: :lol: . At least your dad has an idea of how things are now....... so who knows?

How lucky to see a civet :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Can understand you getting ID wrong, especially when it's not seen very often :hmz:
umtali1

2016 Reis Verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

2013 Mokala and KNP,
2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Philip1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Merlin11... :clap:
:mrgreen: Lovely TT and Pic's. :mrgreen:

:clap: So wonderful to see someone cares to take a 85 year old on a trip to Kruger. :thumbs_up:
Looking forward to the rest. :D
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Return to “Travel Tales”