Skip to Content

Kruger NP - Dec’15: Rock fig, rock breakers - heart touching moments

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
Kaapsedraai
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Kruger NP - Dec’15: Rock fig, rock breakers - heart touching moments

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:38 pm

Why did I choose the Rock fig tree to symbolise our Dec’15 Kruger visit?
There are amazing trees in Kruger, but as we experienced a heart touching moment near an iconic Rock fig tree location, noticing the worsening drought conditions and we struggling with the extreme heat the Rock fig’s tough survival characteristics represented these experiences perfectly - the ability to break rocks by penetrating the smallest cracks and coming out on top.

In addition, they are strikingly recognisable in nature, trees one admires for how they manage to anchor themselves in the most unbelievable way on a rock and a tree so full of character that one could regard them as one of nature’s living ornaments.

En-route to Kruger NP, we overnight at Mokala NP - Dec'15: Relaxing under the shade of the Camel Thorn and Klerksdorp, respectively. On 9th Dec’15 we needed to pick up the two SO’s and our daughter at OR Tambo before driving through to Sabie. Well, the flight from Cape Town was delayed by 1 hour. Furthermore, we were further delayed when exiting the secure parking area with trailer and had to wait for security to assist with opening the boom. :wall:
As we were fast approaching the last stretch on N4 before turn-off to Sabie, these thunder clouds were approaching from Kruger's direction and we were hoping that Kruger enjoyed some good rains. :dance:

We overnight in Sabie at one of the resorts next to the Sabie River. The next day, shopping was a priority and before shops opening, we used the opportunity to explore the area by visiting three waterfalls. We were surprised to see how much water there still was.

Shopping done and with great excitement we were on our way to Kruger where we entered at Phabeni gate without delay. :dance:

On this note our 14 day Kruger visit, the first as campers, started. I played the role as navigator on this trip and the first stop was at the historical site – Joao Albasini ruins. When comparing my photos to that of previous years, I was very surprised with the wonderful upgrade and cleaning that had been done.
Well done SANParks :clap: :clap: :clap:

Next to this site is another memorial grave – that of Nkayinkayi Samuel and Mothasi Mavundla who have lived in the park all their lives. I could not find any more information about them, perhaps someone could assist. :D

Our first animal sighting was that of one of our favourites - "Whats up, Cape Townians? Trust you will have a giraffic time in Kruyger!"
Giraffes .....
...have such big hearts
...always standing tall
...are real models with tall legs and long eye lashes
and so well adorned with beautiful colours

Well, the Kaapsedraai Hop-on-Hop-off Kruger buss is on the move again… as we are making our way down the S1 towards our first camp – Skukuza…, but first let us enjoy our first bird and Big 5 sightings …tbc :thumbs_up:
Last edited by Kaapsedraai on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current - Table Mountain's mood today
Current - Dec'15: Mokala (7th), Kruger (10-24th), Golden Gate (25th) & Karoo (26th)
Finished - Bontebok NP 23-25 Sep'15, Agulhas NP Jul'15; West Coast NP Aug'15, Kruger Dec'14

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kruger NP - Dec’15: Rock fig, rock breakers - heart touching moments

Unread post by Tessa G » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:13 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I have been so looking forward to this segment of your trip Kaapsedraai.

I am often amazed and intrigued at the character of the Rock Fig and love your introduction and beautiful photo with the blonde grass in front.

Beautiful moody clouds over Kruger and stunning photos of the falls in the Sabie area.

Very interesting facts and photos of the Albisini Ruins. I would love to know more information on Nkayinkayi Samuel and Mothasi Mavundla and hope that someone can let us know more.
We visited the ruins for the first time on leaving the park in January. Unfortunately our grandchildren were very excitedly waiting for us in Hazeyview :D so the visit was brief. We will certainly spend longer there on our next trip.

Love the welcoming giraffe and your hop-on hop-off bus. :thumbs_up:

Looking forward to your first sightings. :dance:
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
Current: The Different Faces of Cape Point
CURRENT TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:39 am

I am so happy to see the next report. :D

What a beautiful start. I must say that I have a very special love for the Rock figs. What resilient and tenacious plants.

I love the moodiness of your N4 picture. 8)

I do seem to remember reading somewhere that Nkayinkayi Samuel was one of the early black rangers in the Park. I will try to find the source of my information and see if I can add some more. I am certainly very pleased to see the place so well tended.

:popcorn:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:28 am

Beautiful photo of the approaching storm. Love the symbol of your trip.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Balule, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

ritad
Award: Cammer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by ritad » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:37 am

Beautiful road picture Kaapsedraai, and the waterfalls are great! Waiting for more :dance: :dance:

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by umtali1 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:58 am

Hooray :dance: :dance: . Kaapsedraai's hop-on-hop-off bus is on the move again :dance: :dance:

From the start I see it is going to be very informative as well as entertaining :clap: :clap: . Thank you for the interesting facts already imparted as well as the superb photos :clap:

I have might feet up with plenty of supplies ready for my dose of KNP to keep me going until my next visit :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
umtali1

2013 Mokala and KNP http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75574.

2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP

SurfCindy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year - KNP (2014)

Unread post by SurfCindy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:02 am

Been eagerly awaiting this trip report. I have my ticket for the bus ready and looking forward to the journey :popcorn: :popcorn:

vlakvarksegat
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by vlakvarksegat » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:29 pm

I've hopped onto the "buss" and am here to stay....let's go. :thumbs_up: :clap: :dance:
You are younger today than you ever will be again. Make use of it for the sake of tomorrow.
-Anonymous

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:23 pm

Great to see that the Kruger part of your trip has commenced Kaapsedraai! Looking forward to read all about it! :dance: :dance:
"He who refuses to obey cannot command." - African Proverb.

Nights in KNP - 2016
17 - 19 October - Letaba
20 - 22 October - Punda Maria
23 - 25 October - Shingwedzi
26 - 28 October - Mopani
29 October - Return home

Kaapsedraai
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Tessa G wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I have been so looking forward to this segment of your trip Kaapsedraai.

I am often amazed and intrigued at the character of the Rock Fig and love your introduction and beautiful photo with the blonde grass in front.

Beautiful moody clouds over Kruger and stunning photos of the falls in the Sabie area.

Very interesting facts and photos of the Albisini Ruins. I would love to know more information on Nkayinkayi Samuel and Mothasi Mavundla and hope that someone can let us know more.
We visited the ruins for the first time on leaving the park in January. Unfortunately our grandchildren were very excitedly waiting for us in Hazeyview :D so the visit was brief. We will certainly spend longer there on our next trip.

Love the welcoming giraffe and your hop-on hop-off bus. :thumbs_up:

Looking forward to your first sightings. :dance:

Tessa G, you put me now under pressure .....as this report will be some how a bit different as it was a very strange trip in more way than one, so do not expect any out of the world moments 8)
The Rock fig tree is a tree that always draw my attention and then admire its ability. :D
Albasini ruins comes alive if you have done a bit of research via some interesting books...great to see it cared for today :thumbs_up:
The bus now slowly on the move...
Thank you for the comment and support :dance:

Meandering Mouse wrote:I am so happy to see the next report. :D

What a beautiful start. I must say that I have a very special love for the Rock figs. What resilient and tenacious plants.

I love the moodiness of your N4 picture. 8)

I do seem to remember reading somewhere that Nkayinkayi Samuel was one of the early black rangers in the Park. I will try to find the source of my information and see if I can add some more. I am certainly very pleased to see the place so well tended.

:popcorn:

Meandering Mouse, it took a bit of time as life priorities taking first place at the moment, but we got the bus on the move again and it so great to have you joining this trip as well :dance:
The Rock fig really remarkable, but the real reason for choosing it for this trip will become clear later in this report :thumbs_up:
Thank you for the information on the Mavundla-family. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

cheetahlady wrote:Beautiful photo of the approaching storm. Love the symbol of your trip.

Welcome on board, cheetahlady :dance:
One of this trip's aims was to enjoy cheetah sighting as our friend never saw cheetah in Kruger during there previous trips - so let see :D
Trees are really so full of character and guess we all can relate a story or two that happened under a specific tree or nearby, hence trees synonymous to our lives :thumbs_up:
Current - Dec'15: Mokala (7th), Kruger (10-24th), Golden Gate (25th) & Karoo (26th)
Finished - Bontebok NP 23-25 Sep'15, Agulhas NP Jul'15; West Coast NP Aug'15, Kruger Dec'14

Kaapsedraai
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:01 pm

ritad wrote:Beautiful road picture Kaapsedraai, and the waterfalls are great! Waiting for more :dance: :dance:

ritad, than you and great to have you on board this trip :thumbs_up:

umtali1 wrote:Hooray :dance: :dance: . Kaapsedraai's hop-on-hop-off bus is on the move again :dance: :dance:

From the start I see it is going to be very informative as well as entertaining :clap: :clap: . Thank you for the interesting facts already imparted as well as the superb photos :clap:

I have might feet up with plenty of supplies ready for my dose of KNP to keep me going until my next visit :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

umtali1, yes...long last we hitting the road...and great to have you on board as well :dance:
Glad you enjoyed the interesting info and you enjoy the trip with me while reliving the moments :thumbs_up:
Feet up....that's the way to go :D

SurfCindy wrote:Been eagerly awaiting this trip report. I have my ticket for the bus ready and looking forward to the journey :popcorn: :popcorn:

SurfCindy, yes, been quite busy this year, but we got the bus moving and wonderful to have you joining me on this one :dance:
I have seen some brilliant reports lately and must say that mine will be quite 'dullish' as it was a rather strange trip, but let see how it goes. :thumbs_up:

Kaapsedraai
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:05 pm

vlakvarksegat wrote:I've hopped onto the "buss" and am here to stay....let's go. :thumbs_up: :clap: :dance:

vlakvarksegat, welcome on board :dance:
Hope you enjoy this 2 week trip from Skukuza to Punda Maria camping style. :thumbs_up:

hilda wrote:Great to see that the Kruger part of your trip has commenced Kaapsedraai! Looking forward to read all about it! :dance: :dance:

hilda, eventually it has started...., but glad the trip started and good to have you on the buss. :dance:

Kaapsedraai
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:05 pm

As been greeted by a friendly giraffe, we pushed on to see what is happening at Nyamundwa dam on S1.

At the dam, we were hoping to spot the resident Fish Eagle that likes to sit in the tree next to the parking area.
As we entered the parking area, the Fish Eagle was not there and then spotted it flying across the dam, caught a fish and came to land at the 'spot' - our first Bird sighting

Further down the S1 a herd of wildebeest making their way across the veld.

We linked up with H11 and then our first BIG 5 sighting...elephants enjoying the cooler shades on a very hot, but cloudy day.

We arrived at Skukuza, booked in and now it was time to search for a camping site. We first drove through the camping area in search for an appropriate spot -
- not too far from the ablutions,
- close to the fence
- close to a power point and braai grid
- and a spot that has a flat surface.
Eventually we decided on one next to the fence, but now how do we position the tent - which way to face and where to park the trailer and bakkie.
I guess with time and experience one will work it out what will work best. Two tents pitched, trailer positioned and ready to explore.....

The time was 16h30 and we need to visit the one special place - Lake Panic....(our friend have never been there, so another first for them)....coming up next :thumbs_up:

Jan van Wyk
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2015)

Unread post by Jan van Wyk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:55 pm

I was waiting and waiting for your TR Kaapsedraai :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: Finally I will just sit back and enjoy the master at work..!! :dance: :dance:

Sorry we could not get together for a cold one.......may be December... :hmz: :hmz:

Superb start with beautiful images and detail plus and love your title !!!

Thank you for sharing :thumbs_up:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Beautiful photos with gorgeous colour and detail Kaapsedraai :clap: :clap:

It would be appropriate that you had a Fish Eagle as your first bird sighting. :thumbs_up:

A beautiful photo of the ellies standing under the tree.

I really love your camping setup and a position at the fence must have been very fortunate :thumbs_up:

:popcorn: :popcorn:
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
Current: The Different Faces of Cape Point
CURRENT TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

Return to “Travel Tales”