Skip to Content

Who Says Pigs Can't Fly.....

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
AndreaB
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Who Says Pigs Can't Fly.....

Unread post by AndreaB » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:46 pm

The beauty of our twice a year trips to my happy place now means that I dont have so long to wait in between fixes, the upside and downside is that I get to write 2 trip reports (or even more in the future but that is yet to be confirmed....more on that later).

As anyone who does these reports knows, it is an awful lot of work, but on the upside it is very therapeutic and brings back some wonderful memories. Whenever the SO looks at my screen he says, oh yes that was in so and so just after, you remember - each photo has an indelible memory and story associated with it.

So the photos have been sorted, edited and uploaded, now comes the hard part of choosing which ones will make it for the final cut :think:
11-13 June Pretoriuskop
13 -14 June Satara
15-16 June Shingwedzi

Kaapsedraai
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Re: Who Says Pigs Can't Fly.....

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:01 pm

AndreaB, you are one fortunate forumite to be able to visit 'your happy place" :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Agree, lots of work, but also therapeutic at the same time :dance:

With cold weather and snow that already fell in mountains near Cape Town, this seems to be entertaining TR to be followed during cold winter. :thumbs_up:
Current - Table Mountain's mood today
Current - Dec'15: Mokala (7th), Kruger (10-24th), Golden Gate (25th) & Karoo (26th)
Finished - Bontebok NP 23-25 Sep'15, Agulhas NP Jul'15; West Coast NP Aug'15, Kruger Dec'14

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:03 pm

Looks very promising AndreaB! Looking forward to read all about your trip! :popcorn:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.

FORUMITES, have you read this announcement? If not, please do and participate! Annual Forum Awards 2016

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:21 pm

Andreab, you have no idea how therapeutic it is for us to be able to view pictures and read of all those trip reports! Well it does make us a little green with envy, but also it reminds us of all the special times experienced at our different "happy places"

AndreaB
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AndreaB » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:17 pm

Kaapsedraai wrote:AndreaB, you are one fortunate forumite to be able to visit 'your happy place" :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Indeed I am Kaapsedraai :D
11-13 June Pretoriuskop
13 -14 June Satara
15-16 June Shingwedzi

AndreaB
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AndreaB » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:18 pm

hilda wrote:Looks very promising AndreaB! Looking forward to read all about your trip! :popcorn:

Hope it will be entertaining Hilda, I will do my best :)
11-13 June Pretoriuskop
13 -14 June Satara
15-16 June Shingwedzi

AndreaB
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AndreaB » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:20 pm

George_Brits wrote:Andreab, you have no idea how therapeutic it is for us to be able to view pictures and read of all those trip reports! Well it does make us a little green with envy, but also it reminds us of all the special times experienced at our different "happy places"
I

Good then sit back and relax George, welcome on the bus! :D
11-13 June Pretoriuskop
13 -14 June Satara
15-16 June Shingwedzi

AndreaB
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AndreaB » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:43 pm

Having heard that the roadworks in the Croc Gorge were completed we decided to take a look for ourselves instead of going in via Phabeni as usual. They have indeed done a good job and on another blisteringly hot day we entered via Malelane Gate and took our place in the lengthy queue.

Having a long wait people began to chat about their stories in the park and the gentleman next to the SO was saying that he hadnt been for ages and that he really should make more of an effort. He asked the SO how often we visit and was duly impressed at our twice yearly pilgramages, he then asked where we stayed and when the SO replied that we came from the Netherlands a collective gasp went up around him from all the people earwigging :D We find it utterly normal to spend all of our hols in SA, just wish we could do it more often :D

One sour note was when a flash sports car took off from the gate at a great speed and with a massive growl of the engine. I muttered a few choice words of my own and even more when the SO finally returned to tell me that it was actually a Sanparks employee racing around and that all of his colleagues at the gate had been whistling and cheering him on. When they saw the SOs expression they hastily added that it was only a for a short distance and that he would never drive through the park at that speed....

Off we headed to Biyamiti with 2 new cameras and a full cooler box of all our favourite SA goodies, life can be rather great at times... :dance:

We were like most others immediately taken aback by the state of the park, particularly in the South, all the grazing herds that we had come to expect were disappeared and grazing was far and few between.

Our first sighting of the day were 4 hornbills striding through the bush pecking and peering at everything, actually we have come to the conclusion that they are the psychos of the bird world, assassins that know no fear!

This one ended up with a variety of grasses, grasshoppers and a tiny tortoise in his beak!

They then flew up onto a dead tree stump where the juvenile began to berate his poor mother for something to eat..

11-13 June Pretoriuskop
13 -14 June Satara
15-16 June Shingwedzi

manicwalker
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by manicwalker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:29 am

AndreaB,
Hooray!! another wonderful and enjoyable TT has begun :gflower:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:42 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: what a delightful title. I am right on board and waiting.

:popcorn:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:25 am

I'm about to get the popcorn popping in the microwave, this is more exciting than watching a suspense thriller on tv!

Keep it up, Andreab :gflower:

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:28 am

Very entertaining indeed, AndreaB! I love your Ground Hornbill juvenile begging food from mom! Great shot! :clap: :clap:

Can't wait to read about your Biyamiti experiences! Hope you were lucky enough to find the resident Leopard! :dance: :dance:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.

FORUMITES, have you read this announcement? If not, please do and participate! Annual Forum Awards 2016

SurfCindy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year - KNP (2014)

Unread post by SurfCindy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:39 am

Great start to the trip AndreaB. The young hornbill can sure make a huge noise when begging for food. It caught me by surprise when I heard it for the first time last year when visiting the park. It provided lots of entertainment with its relentless begging :lol:

Looking forward to the rest of the journey and the special moments you have in store for us :popcorn: :popcorn:

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by isinkwe » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:56 am

I am also here to enjoy the trip with you :thumbs_up: :D :D :D
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent.......I never know what they are planning. :roll:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ?

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:20 pm

Great to see another AndreaB Trip report :D .

Looking forward to your experiences of Biyamiti :popcorn: .
Always be humble and understanding

Return to “Travel Tales”