Skip to Content

Re: needed a (permanent?) fix so..... 2013

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: needed a (permanent?) fix so.....

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Our options were limited.....if we went back up the bank retracing our steps we might be seen by ellies which had already crossed the river bed. If we tried to escape across the river bed and backwards we might again be seen, and those large flat feet would run much faster in the soft river sand than we would....... So we did the only thing we could and sat still and watched.......
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Bushes opposite us and a little ahead moved.....and 2 youngsters came out playing about. One had a long stick in its trunk and was frantically waving it about in all directions. The second followed and suddenly decided to lie down on the grassy edge of the river bed. After a few moments of total stillness it suddenly got up again and they carried on across the river bed and followed the others.

We looked at each other and grinned.....all of us had to suppress laughter while they were playing about. Slowly we got to our feet and prepared to cross the river bed.....only to see the bushes moving again and unmistakable grey shapes appearing! We quickly crouched down again......

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:14 pm

Another 2 youngsters playing about....chasing each other, pulling the branches about, tossing broken branches about, waving them around.....having a great time! They were accompanied by 2 adults that we could see. My camera video function worked overtime......!

Eventually they moved further away, and we judged it safe to quickly cross the river bed and walk directly away from the river and skirt the area. We got ready, crossed as fast as we could, and up the bank on the other side safely. But......just as we were checking for a suitable path out of the area we realised there were ellies very close to us!!!! Fortunately we had been quiet, and they had not seen us......so we quickly moved off, and finally got away undetected.

A definite WOW experience!

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:25 pm

We still had just over 1km to go to get back to the vehicle. What would the rest of the walk hold??????

One more dilemma encounter!!!!

We saw a rhino wallowing on the crest of the opposite bank and thought we would try to get closer......only to find another bull rhino with the same idea and neither were very happy to see each other! We decided to make tracks and leave them to it.....only to find 2 bull elephants pretty much where we wanted to go......

We could see the ellies, but the rhinos had gone into the bush and we could no longer actually see them.....the safest was to keep watching the ellies and move quickly past them and away......trying to keep the river bed between us. We managed it!!!!

Tremendous experiences, adrenalin flowing, and much learned.......

Once more we were too late to walk again after getting back to camp, and that night it rained and we could not go out the final morning as we had hoped. While we were breaking up camp we did hear a leopard and monkeys giving alarm calls. 4 folk went out to see if they could locate the leopard, but did not find it (I was not surprised as the monkeys had gone quiet by the time they left camp!).

Home again Friday afternoon, tired, and foot-sore, but with great memories......and a mountain of washing and wet tent/gazebos to sort out.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Oh, and at the end of all that I now have full back-up trails guide qualification too!

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:39 am

:redface: :redface: :redface: Sorry been neglecting this thread for a bit...... Just when everyone else winds down for the holiday season I wind up even more!

impyim wrote:What is the purpose of the survey? Is it to count numbers, or something like "how do animals react to people"? Just wondering.

It was no scientific survey.....just being feet on the ground in an area very seldom visited, watching out for what is there, reporting on anything interesting/strange/etc........almost like a routine ranger patrol in some ways.

Last week I helped with a Track and Trail assessment (and took the assessment myself too). We had fewer folk than expected so although we expected to be busy 3 days we finished in 1 day. Trailed a rhino and calf in the morning......without managing to catch up to them because the wind swirled a bit and they got our scent and began to move too quickly. For me it was interesting learning how to do it, and feeling a great sense of achievement when I was able to pick up the trail myself several times.

Also learned some new tracks.......including a frog hopping. My mind just could not work out what it was, but when we were told it was obvious!

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:47 am

A few nights ago I was visited by a big bull ellie......heard the grass being pulled up, and looked out the window next to my bed and could see nothing. Moved a bit and realised why.......he was blocking out the view! He was so big he could reach over the fence to get grass this side without even stretching the fence wires. Spent a while watching him and hearing his friend(s) but did not see them. He did know I was close and put his trunk up to sniff a few times but was far more intent on food than finding me. He was back again sometime last night, but I was too tired to watch him.

Also recently had a trip to Skukuza to get tyres sorted out on the bush camp vehicle which I have over the holiday period. The tyres were sorted quickly so I had time and had a slower trip back than usual, stopping to enjoy sightings. Watched impala herds a couple of times, warthogs, giraffes, zebs, and 2 separate steenbokkies, some rhinos, several ellie herds, birds......it was great!

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:46 am

Nothing reported here.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:42 am

This has been a busy week with gate duties, various duties around camp, and a drive on 26th.

The drive was a mixed bag.....some good sightings, but also very quiet at times. We had a couple of ellie herd, some of the animals very close, but it was after dark so we did not stop with them. Also had 8 buffalo bulls in a river bed, and a number of other grey animals......

Impalas, scrub hares, and several birds before dark too and then 2 pairs of spotted eagle owls on the way home. We heard of a lone lioness but she had gone when we reached the area, and also heard of lions on the road near camp but again no sight of them when we got there (maybe because a herd of ellies was also on the road!).

Last night I was asked to do a drive but cancellations at the last minute meant I was not needed after all. On the way to the gate I had seen a leopard in a tree near the road and cars were beginning to block the road, so I stopped on the way home and directed traffic until gate closing time......then had a few minutes alone with the kitty!

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:15 am

Mixed feelings about cancelled drives! Last night I was somewhat relieved as I knew I would be up early again today....but had also been looking forward to it in a way...... It is more the wasted time in preparation and going down to the gate etc only to find cancellations that are frustrating. Often I might have started (or continued) doing something else but once I am home again it is not worth it.

Today long hot morning at the gate, but now quota reached, gate closed and I am home.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:48 am

Another cancellation this morning......but this time a walk which has been abandoned because of heavy rain! Cannot control for the weather...... This rain was predicted for 2 days ago, but at least it has come eventually.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Excess energy?????? Could barely keep awake in church (not good when I am manning the computer for the song words!) and sleep-walked round Spar and PnP getting groceries......! Now quick meal and then BED.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZ :zzz

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Not really sure how wise as I have only just woken up again.....but never mind!

Return to “Travel Tales”