Skip to Content

How do I become a SANParks Honorary Ranger?

Find and discuss information on the Honorary Rangers
Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

How do I become a SANParks Honorary Ranger?

Unread post by Imberbe » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Here are the steps to become a SANParks Honorary Ranger.

1. Make contact with your local SHR region and apply for membership.

The SANParks Honorary Rangers is divided into regions (branches). There are 32 regions spread all over the country. You become a member via your local region and work from the region. Members may do duty in parks that are not in their region, but still need to be part of a local region.

You can find a list of the regions here: http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org. The contact details of the chairpersons and secretaries of all the regions can be found there.

For those dedicated to the internet. Remember we have a Virtual Region which functions on this Forum. It is region like any other SHR region and members participate fully in SHR activities.

2. You will be invited for an interview by a committee of the region.

This interview is to ensure that you are good SHR material and that your motives and expectations are in line with the culture of the SHR.

You do not need to have a vast knowledge of nature or even possess nature based academic qualifications. There is room in the organisation for people with all kinds of backgrounds and experience. The SHRs is a voluntary service organisation. Our aim is to promote SANParks through our skills, knowledge and activities.

It is a selfless activity and may not be exploited for personal gain. You will not be paid for any activity.

3. After the interview, you may be invited to become an Applicant.

You are not an SHR member yet but are now busy qualifying to become one.

In this period you will be required to do some compulsory courses, regularly attend the monthly regional meetings, and do certain duties.

The Honorary Rangers membership course will inform you about the SANParks Honorary Rangers and how we function. It also teaches you about SANParks and our working relationship.

If you want to do duty in a park you also need to do the orientation course for that park. These courses prepare you for the work in the parks and equip you with a basic knowledge of the park.

Your region will give you guidance in this.

While working and contributing you will gain "MIS points" for your contribution. You gain 2 points for every hour worked. To qualify as a member you will need to gain 100 points.

4. Member

On successful completion of the above the Regional Management Committee may, if they are satisfied with your progress, recommend to the National Executive Committee that you be appointed as a member.

You now need to regularly attend the regional meetings, do duties (SHR work) and pay an annual membership fee.

SHRs are re-appointed annually, based on continued active involvement as measured by our Membership Information System which allocates points for work done. Each member needs to contribute a minimum of 100 MIS points per year. We are not an organisation based on membership privileges, but rather dedicated to making a difference towards conservation in our national parks.

Join now!

Being a SANParks Honorary Ranger is a wonderful privilege. If you think you have what it takes, please do not hesitate to contact us today!

info@honoraryrangers.org

Useful link:

http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/
Last edited by Imberbe on Wed May 24, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

annevdw

Re: How do I become a SANParks Honorary Ranger?

Unread post by annevdw » Wed May 24, 2017 9:55 am

I am trying to find out more about becoming a honorary ranger, but the links given are not working. Please could spmeone assist me.
My heart is there

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed May 24, 2017 11:10 am

Hi Anne
The website is being updated at the moment, so is not accessible.
Many apologies.

I need to know the answer to some questions to help you, but you might feel more comfortable sending me a Private message rather than give your details out over the open forums.

To start with I need to know where you live?

I can then give you a contact number for your nearest region, and give you further info as well. :thumbs_up:
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

annevdw

Unread post by annevdw » Wed May 24, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi There
I don't mind the open forum, as there might be other interested parties.
I live in Hazyview-
I will gladly answer other questions. :)
My heart is there

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed May 24, 2017 3:09 pm

In that case your nearest region would be Lowveld region based in Nelspruit. :thumbs_up:

I will PM you the secretary's details. :thumbs_up:

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies » Wed May 24, 2017 6:42 pm

Val, what are the 'membership privileges' to which the HRs are referring to?
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed May 24, 2017 8:18 pm

Rooies I think that you misunderstood part of Imberbe's post, and in fact it might need to be edited, as it was written a while ago. :thumbs_up:

What he was actually saying was that it is a "privilege" to be an HR, not that there are any "special privileges" given to them!!! :whistle: :lol: :lol:

The privileges that he refers to that Supporter Members etc have, are things like voting privileges!!!

The HR movement is totally voluntary, and we pay for all our own expenses at all times.

We get no "freebies" as some people seem to think ****and have to pay for all our own courses attended, and also travel expenses.

When we visit the parks, unless we are doing duty, we pay exactly the same as any other visitor, and get no priority booking.

When we organise fund raisers, we pay all expenses incurred, so that the recipient benefits in full. :thumbs_up:

***The only exceptions are that:
1. When an HR does duty in any SANParks, IF there are any camping spaces left, the Camp Manager MIGHT offer them a free camping spot, but as I said that is only if there is one free, and even then some Camp Managers do not offer this. :thumbs_up:

2. If HRs work a high amount of hours, they may be rewarded with a Wild Card, though they still have to pay the admin fee for the card. If the member does not keep up the high hours each year, the card is discontinued.

If you have any specific questions about the movement, please don't hesitate to ask, either here, or in a PM to me. I will be only to happy to address them. :thumbs_up:

Thank you for your interest. :thumbs_up:

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies » Wed May 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks again Val. Like the most of us, it is simply a bridge too far. We are either staying too far from a National Park or we just don't have a bank balance that will allow us to spend the required time doing 'volunteer' work. That basically keeps the majority out of the running. In the end, the HRs are considered to be an organization with noble aims and objects, but reserved for the proverbial Jones'
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed May 24, 2017 10:14 pm

That actually isnt true Rooies.

You are forgetting the Virtual Region. :thumbs_up:

Our local park is the SANParks Forums. and that is where we do most of our work promoting SANParks and facilitating fundraising.

We are allowed to do duty in the parks but most of us choose not to, so have no need to buy a uniform, or incur most of the expenses that other HRs have.

I am on pension, and I know other members in our region are struggling financially, but it does not stop us putting an effort into online fundraising for worthy causes like anti poaching, ranger support, and helping local kids living near a park to visit and learn how they can become involved in maintaining their future heritage.

I am not suggesting that you join, as I get the impression that you would not feel comfortable being an HR, but I merely point out these facts in case other members reading this might be interested.

Imberbe

Unread post by Imberbe » Wed May 24, 2017 10:24 pm

On the contrary Rooies. I must concur with Val.

There are a significant number of SHR members who stay far from parks and do not visit them on a regular basis. They still make a considerable contribution to SANParks.

There are many activities being presented outside of the parks. These include activities such as public displays and talks, courses being presented and fundraising events such as golf days and other sporting events.

The focus is more and more on utilising member's skills and knowledge to support SANParks.

The SHR has a broad approach in how we accommodate our members and each person can contribute in his own way.

BTW I updated the description above.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Return to “SANParks Honorary Ranger Activities”