Skip to Content

Fever Tree Forest is Dying

Find, identify and discuss the plants of all the SANParks
Chacma

Fever Tree Forest is Dying

Unread post by Chacma » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:40 am

Sadly, the days of the iconic fever tree forest near Crooks Corner are numbered. It is being destroyed by elephants. The elephants are tearing the bark off with their tusks and stripping it away with their trunks. I sat and watched this a few days ago. The trees don't need to be ringbarked, even a relatively small section of exposed sapwood then rots out the trunks.

The trees then just topple over.

This is the result of elephant overpopulation.
The forest will not regenerate because the saplings are being eaten as soon as they emerge.
Show your children the fever tree forest before it disappears!

Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Fever Tree Forest is Dying

Unread post by Albert » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:44 pm

Interestingly enough, I was fortunate enough to be able to visit the (far more extensive) fever tree forest(s) just north of the Levuhu River near Crook's corner about three weeks ago (in the Makuleke concession). So while the forest near the Pafuri picnic site has certainly diminished over the past few decades, this does not appear to be the case just a few km to the north.
What was very interesting to me though, was to learn that the section of fever tree forest that I am referring to was only established after floods in the late 1970s. I had always had this notion that these trees had been around for a very long time. We also learnt that the fever trees have a relatively short life-span. (In this regard Chacma's comment regarding the destruction of saplings is very relevant).
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

Chacma

Unread post by Chacma » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:04 am

Thanks Albert, I would love to see the forest to the north.
Yes fever trees are fast growing, I have one in my garden.
Apparently a huge number of saplings emerged on the south side after the last floods, but they are all gone now. The survival of the forests really depends on a balanced ecosystem, and the abudance of elephants is throwing it off balance.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:44 am

I also do think the extreme drought is having an effect on the behaviour of the ellies as much of their natural other food is unavailable.
Lets hope the good rains come soon to the north of the park to get the other vegatation growing and help alleviate the situation somewhat.

Chacma

Unread post by Chacma » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Yes Elsa I agree that they do destroy bark more in times of drought.
However this damage has been going on for some years now, the toppled trees are well rotted.
Since culling is no longer considered palatable, I see only one alternative: vasectomies all round!

Return to “Plants”