Leopard

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Leopard

Unread post by lion queen » Tue May 03, 2016 8:46 am

KSD we saw him in March 2014.

Not as nice a sighting as yours, but he seemed to be doing okay.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Phokojwe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Phokojwe » Tue May 03, 2016 2:40 pm

Wonderful sightings all!

What beautiful creatures :thumbs_up:
For an authentic Wilderness experience.... Bushcamps offered by the SANParks Honorary Rangers

bassbuster

Unread post by bassbuster » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:09 pm

You often hear people referring to a "resident" leopard. Do they migrate/wonder great distances or are they teritorial and "reside" near or around particular areas?

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:20 am

I would go with the latter bassbuster. A warm welcome to the forums :gflower:
Rose

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:46 pm

Bassbuster, according to Wikipedia:

"Territorial behaviour

Males occupy territories that often overlap with a few smaller female territories, probably as a strategy to enhance access to females. A radio-collar analysis in the Ivory Coast found a female home range completely enclosed within a male's. Female live with their cubs in territories that overlap extensively – probably due to the association between mothers and their offspring. There may be a few other fluctuating territories, belonging to young individuals. It is not clear if male territories tend to overlap among themselves as much as those of females do. Individuals will try to drive away intruders of the same sex.

A study of leopards in the Namibian farmlands showed that the size of territories was not significantly affected by sex, rainfall patterns or season; it concluded that the higher the prey availability in an area, the greater the population density of leopards and the smaller the size of territories, but territories tend to expand if there is human interference (which has been notably high in the study area). Territorial sizes vary geographically; they can be as small as 33–38 square kilometres (13–15 sq mi) for males and 14–16 square kilometres (5.4–6.2 sq mi) for females in forests and rocky terrain (such as in the Serengeti or Kruger National Park), or as large as 451 square kilometres (174 sq mi) for males and 188 square kilometres (73 sq mi) for females in northeastern Namibia (they might be even larger in deserts and montane areas).Territories recorded in Nepal, 48 square kilometres (19 sq mi) for males and 5–7 square kilometres (1.9–2.7 sq mi) for females, are smaller than those generally observed in Africa.
"
"There can be no friendship without confidence, and no confidence without integrity". - Samuel Johnson.

bassbuster

Unread post by bassbuster » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks for the replies to my question. Apologies for my late response as well.

We have just spent a week based at Pretoriouskop and as I know the area very well I expected to see leopard which we did not. My camping neighbour however had a fresh sighting everyday . Although he did drive relatively large distances each day. We did come across a small traffic jam one day and on asking what the action was about one of the "Fabulous Tour Guides" told me that a leopard had just walked around a huge outcrop of rocks but had disappeared. The guides story was that the leopard was young and had been "dropped off" at the rocks by her mother recently and now lives there. Almost like you can now go there any time to see him??

Two years ago we were fortunate to see two sub adult leopards together in a tree literally 750m from Pretoiouskop gate. Still to this day that dam tree still haunts me.LOL

Return to “Mammals”