Skip to Content

African Wild Dog

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
steamtrainfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: ARE AFRICAN WILD DOG SCARED OF HEIGHTS

Unread post by steamtrainfan » Sun May 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi Richprins. Only 4 of the 9 were on the bridge. The one peering over the edge was really jittery. They seemed very unsure of themselves and soon turned back and joined the others on terra firma.
Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.

BushFairy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: African Wild Dog

Unread post by BushFairy » Sat May 29, 2010 8:01 pm

Seen in the Biyamiti area (can't remember which road) in September :)

As you can see, there were quite a few of them! (this pic was taken first as we were approaching them - we had no idea that they would be so kind as to stick around for a while!!)
Study nature, Love nature, Stay close to nature. It will never fail you!

Spotted Cat
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Spotted Cat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:56 pm

Great pics everyone :clap:

3 "Painted Dogs" seen on the S25 (Crocodile River Road) on 24 April 2010. We had seen a pack of 22 on the same road during our December visit :dance:
I assume they are part of the same pack that is frequently seen in the area. :hmz:

"Happiness is like jam. You can't spread even a little without getting some on yourself."

adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by adw » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Great sighting and pics SC.
Here are 2 photos from my March trip earlier this year. There were 5 dogs in sight on the H3 about 2 km south of Kwaggaspan.

I could not get a photo of all 5 together. This was the best I could do.
Rhino Poaching - Highlight's man's stupidity and greediness.

aussie_dude

Unread post by aussie_dude » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:53 am

Wild Dogs on the 29/06/2010 near Skukuza. They were hunting on the road, there were 5 in the pack. They did manage to catch something but caught something in the bush.

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:47 am

Stunning pictures, Aussie_Dude! :clap: :clap: :clap: Love the close ups, but the wide shot shows the exciting activity of them hunting. You're a lucky dude indeed. :wink:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Imberbe

Re: Wild Dog Den's?

Unread post by Imberbe » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:19 pm

Dogs would typically not only have one den, but will move the pups as soon as parasites get too many in the den, or if it should be discovered by lion. They also do not necessarily return to the same den each year. But they may re use an old den from time to time.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

aussie_dude

Unread post by aussie_dude » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:12 am

They are one of the best animals ever. The top picture should be a video , if you click on it , it should open to a video

Sprocky

Re: Wild Dog Den's?

Unread post by Sprocky » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:36 am

Okay, no Rhino near them. They were on the move so probably not at the same spot today. I got the dogs yesterday on the H14 between Shikumbu and the turn off to the Ngwenyeni water hole.

El-Bok

Unread post by El-Bok » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:35 am

Has anyone seen wild dogs in Kgalagadi and if so where? I am looking to go there soon and seen that they are on the checklist yet I never thought they were there? i know there was a relocation effort when it was the Kalahari Gemsbok but that failed but any other populations? :pray:
June 2010 Trip Report - Kruger Here We Come

Planned Trip Nov 2010

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by o-dog » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:27 pm

david wrote:different take on a wild dog. seen on night drive at Shingwedzi....

Hey David, nice take on a WD! :cam:

Where is this exactly in the Shingwedzi area and how many wild dogs were there??
I saw a pack of 9 wild dogs at the Red Rocks weir once but that was at least 10-15 years ago. Wild Dogs aren't commonly seen in the North these days. And during the recent census, sightings in the North were few and far between and there is little info available on Wild Dogs numbers in the Mozambique side of the Transfronteir Park.

:thumbs_up:
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

africawildlife.nl

Unread post by africawildlife.nl » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:05 am

A couple of weeks ago we stayed a couple of days in Sabi Sands GR, before going to Skukuza. We were so lucky to bump into this pack of wild dogs! It was amazing. I couldn't take it away from you guys. Hopefully you like it.
27 april - 2 may 2013: South of Kruger (Marloth Park & Skukuza)
2-6 may: Timbavati GR
8-10 may: Madikwe GR

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by flying cheetah » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:52 am

Phantastic sighting and video :clap: :clap: :mrgreen:
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by o-dog » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:07 am

I know this is a SANParks forum but just spent 2 weeks in Zim and really good news is that Wild Dogs seem to be thriving in certain areas :D

In the North (Zambezi Valley), saw a pack of 25 and another pack of 10. We also missed a different pack of 11 and was told that there is a pack of 30 odd nearby...this is all in a relatively small area. I also know the dogs are doing well towards Vic Falls and apparently are regularly seen in many of the hunting conservancies in the Valley area..

Apparently they are also doing OK in the Conservancy areas in the South of Zim and some of the packs are moving across to Ghonarezou (spelling?) which obviously forms part of the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park. This is excellent news for Kruger's Wild Dog population as it obviously means that it is not a closed population and that new genes can come in :P
Some dogs were also recently sighted about 50km N of Beit Bridge moving east off the main road area. Unfortunately they cause havoc in some of the tribal land areas but great to know they are still around these areas.

To me this is fantastic news as Zim's animals have been largely persecuted but are still thriving in some areas. From gathering information from various authorities and private land owners it seems as though Zims WD popualtion is at a minimum of 300 animals and possibly as high as 500 or more which shows that this country is a stronghold for this species and that perhaps although still very much endangered, a proper census need to be done of WD in Africa to establish numbers as I have heard some reliable sources saying that as few as 1000-1500 dogs exist in the wild.

:thumbs_up:
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

Wildafri

Unread post by Wildafri » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:34 am

One of the reasons why this is one of Africa's most endangered species is because Wild Dogs were blamed for an antelope decline and they were shot on site :sniper: . Luckily on this day we spotted the illusive Wild Dog. This one was part of a pack of three, one of them had a huge gash on the top of its head.

Last edited by Wildafri on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is Africa, EXPERIENCE it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildafri

Return to “Mammals”