Skip to Content

Antelope: Eland

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
CurtisDillon
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby CurtisDillon » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:42 pm

We saw Eland just behind Pretoriuskop on the H2-2 at Skipberg in 1996. Very far, we could only identify them with binoculars. But we did see them :P

j-ms wrote:One of the cutest things about Eland are their "clicky" knees. The joints in their knees make a clicking sound when they walk so, at night particularly, it is often that you hear them before you see them.

I found this very interesting about the "clicky knees" and found this information.
Stronger, more dominant males have first access to estrus females. As they walk, they make a loud "clicking" sound that can be heard more than a mile away. Once thought to come from their joints or hooves, researchers now say it is made by the tendons in the front legs. A male that clicks doesn't have to be seen, for he asserts his dominance by sound. Younger males will even leave an area to avoid confrontations with him.

Click HERE for more interesting info on the Eland.
Conservation is the lifeblood of nature!

West Coast National Park 22 November 2009

MarkWildDog
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby MarkWildDog » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:36 pm

They are found more commonly up north but are occasionaly seen in the Pretoriuskop area of KNP.

I havent seen them yet :roll:

restio
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby restio » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:22 am

Had a lovely sighting of eland in the Cape of Good Hope section of the TMNP. We were staying at what is now Olifantsbos cottage, and a whole herd of eland ran past the cottage, along the seashore. It was the most incredible sight!

I've also seen them in Kgalagadi, way up north of Nossob.

My mom studied archaeology and anthropology, and she always used to tell me wonderful stories of the San and their mystical connection to eland. And they are compelling and kingly beasts.

I found a good article on eland and the San, which may be of interest:
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/san/hd_san.htm

Eric-Carol

Unread postby Eric-Carol » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:36 pm

We were lucky enough to see a herd of 5 eland at the Klopperfontein waterhole on our recent visit to Kruger. Unfortunately they had finished drinking and were walking away from us.

ImageLarge
Last edited by Elsa on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pic resizing.

Wildman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mopani's lookout deck is goog for eland sightings

Unread postby Wildman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:06 pm

My best eland sighting in KNP was from the deck at Mopani Camp. A small herd of about 8 eland came to slake their thirsts at the dam onto which Mopani overlooks.
It was certainly a lucky sighting as we didn’t even have to leave camp to these often rare antelopes of KNP.
I have read several reports of similar sightings, so this location provides a good opportunity to these great antelope.
This is the Law o’the Jungle,as old&as true as the sky;The Wolf that shall keep it prospers,the Wolf that shall break it dies;the Law runs forward and back
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,&the strength of the Wolf is the Pack
Kipling

Richprins

Eland in KNP

Unread postby Richprins » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:53 pm

I have definetily seen these beauts less over the past 5 years!

Jakkalsbessie' cow around 2000 near Orpen as a roamer from an adjoining reserve. What a shock to see it at Welverdiend waterhole on the Sweni road!

Very happy to see they are around Klopperfontein, as it is a low predator area.

Around the 80s there was APPARENTLY a herd of 100 in the area that is now the Makuleke conservancy. Wonder if they are still there?

Saw a bull on the H-10 between the Nkumbe lookout and Muntshe 4 years ago. How the hell it got there nobody will ever know!

Are they decreasing in numbers?

Richprins

[list=][/list]

MarkWildDog
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby MarkWildDog » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:54 am

African Storm wrote:I have never seen one...What is the current census?

Most recent census stands at 300.
Major concentrations include the H1-8 Punda Maria-Pafuri Road, Mopani & Shingwedzi area. Other concentrations inclide the Numbi Gate & Pretoriuskop area.

Richprins

Eland

Unread postby Richprins » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:00 pm

300 IS pretty low!

They used to stay pretty constant at around 900 last century.
Once again, I think wet cycle vegetation and other factors are making the census very difficult.

Richprins

mountainview
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby mountainview » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:02 pm

300 is pretty low considering (I'm told) that an average fair size game farm could have as much as 30.

I have seen them all over the park from a group of about 25 at Shitlhave dam to various single encounters in the Letaba-Phalaborwa area and then I have often seen them in greater concentrations (together with Tsessebe and Zebra) on the "Serengeti of Kruger" - the Hlamalala plains east of the H1-8 (personally never west of it) and the most magnificent specimen that I had ever seen was north of the H1-9. This bull had a black dewlap with the black running up his neck, while the rest of his body was surprisingly slate grey (not the normal ochre-tan). Incredible creature.

Years ago I saw a heard of about 200 individuals at Giants Castle. What an incredible sight that was. If you really want to see them easily visit Suikerbosrand. On the overnight hike we saw a fair sized herd at close quarters and in Jan 2006 we saw a large herd of about 100+ animals on the north-eastern boundary fence but they were very far from the road.

Boulder

Unread postby Boulder » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:19 am

There's a herd on the Botswana side (mainly as they wander) of Kalagadi that is estimated at over 900. saw it 3 years ago at Lang rambuka Pan....horizon to horizon trotting Eland. In Kruger they are mainly up north around Klopperfontein Windmill and the powerlines. There are miniscule pockets down south where they dont really enjoy all the human pressure.
Dawn greeting of the francolin

LaeveldLeeu

Unread postby LaeveldLeeu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:52 pm

Hallo every one. I have seen my firts Eland and Black Rhino today after searching for 30years. :D
The Eland were a small herd of about 10. They crossed the road at Ship mountain on the Voortrekker road. They kept on running to the foothills of the mountain.
The black rhino were next to the tar road 1km south of Afsaal and had a baby with her. :clap:

Mads
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Antelope: Eland

Unread postby Mads » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi Jumbo,

I LOVE your Eland pic!! :clap: The composition of the photo is brilliant!! :mrgreen:

I took this eland pic in Pafuri in KNP. Not the best photo, (It was a cloudy and cold day!) but definately evidence they do occur in Kruger!

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree." Martin Luther

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re:

Unread postby DuQues » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:22 am

j-ms in september 2005 wrote:One of the cutest things about Eland are their "clicky" knees. The joints in their knees make a clicking sound when they walk so, at night particularly, it is often that you hear them before you see them.

Now why would that be? Well, actually:

To demonstrate their sexual prowess....

Read all about it!
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

lastpride

Unread postby lastpride » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:48 pm

We saw 9 Elands on the Tropic of Capricorn loop in KNP. One looks very poorly though :(

It took us ages to believe they were Eland as we didn't even know they were in Kruger except very ocasionally in the north.

KNP 06/02/12 to 16/12/12

granjan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby granjan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:49 am

We saw this bull close to the path as we were walking to the confluence viewpoint in Mapungubwe early one morning last November. He walked sedately towards us then suddenly put his head down and charged!
We ran and fortunately he stopped tho my SO was cross I didn't get a better pic....

Return to “Mammals”