Skip to Content

The white lions of Kruger

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Re: The white lions of Kruger

Unread post by JenB » Sat May 16, 2015 10:17 am

arks wrote:Well said Imberbe! :clap: :thumbs_up:

Absolutely! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:55 am

I drove the S100-road up and down a few weeks ago and havent seen the superpride, but, wouldnt it be an amazing Christmas gift to view the white lion?! Wishing you super sightings, kallis1786

elpaco
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by elpaco » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:44 pm

The white lion is seen very regularly, more at the end of the S100 or on the S41, around Gudzani than at the beginning of the S100.

I drove the S100 no less than 7 times in my last trip at the end of October and the S41 4 times.

I had very few sightings but manage to see the superpride on the S41, about 6 kms south of the S100 crossing.
Unfortunately, most of them were well hiddenand I could only see 7 lions of the pride and only 3 correctly and none of them was the White one. I was doubtful on one of them though, but only had a glimpse of it and cannot tell for sure it was the one ...
I hope you will be luckier than me :D
I need to figure out how I can come to the KNP for 3 months
Looking for a Pel's ...

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kallis1786 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:24 pm

elpaco wrote:It's a young male.
not far from being kicked out of the pride..

I hope you will find him. please let me know if you do :thumbs_up:

Thanks elpaco :thumbs_up: . I will definitely let you know if I find him, and will also share some pics :cam:

MarijeNL

Unread post by MarijeNL » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi, I'm wondering if this is the white lion?
Saw him in a huge pride of 16 lions on the S41, just past Gudzani Dam on November 2nd, 2016.

His head
No black on the back of his ears and really light eyes.

Compared to one of the other lions.

manicwalker
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by manicwalker » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:56 am

MarijeNL
I would say thats very likely a white lion... :)
His eyes are extremly light in colour..
How nice, IF it is a white lion, and lets hope he lives a very long life :pray:
(he could be the youngster "elpaco" speaks of above :hmz: )
Thanks for posting your special sighting :thumbs_up:

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Stunning pic of the while lion! :clap:
Kruger - 22nd May to 8th June 2017 8)

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:36 pm

MarijeNL, I would say he is the one. Seems the sighting below was pretty much in the exact area?

A wonderful sighting of this guy this week was shared on FB. With the permission of the author I'd like to share it here, especially for those of us who are still hoping to catch a glimpse of him, so well written we might just as well have been there and also a little reminder to never give up :thumbs_up:

The Day My Dream Came True.

For years - to be precise my whole life plus two years seven months and fourteen days - I have been searching for a white lion. There is one in Kruger. Just the one.

I cannot tell you in pounds or rands or emotional dollars how hard we have tried to find him. We have driven endless kilometres, been disappointed so many times, as we missed him by a whisker, a minute, a lifetime. I cannot tell you the nights I have dreamt of him, a hair away, just to wake up and find I was in Pretoria. It has been an itch that could never be scratched. Every time we miss him, I say to The Hubs, "Next time we'll get him".

Having friends with us almost always brings us bad luck with sightings. For some reason, I have no idea why, we never see anything if we are not alone. My wonderful friend, Caro, from England is here, and asked to follow us on the drive. Obviously, The Hubs and I know, we will see nothing. We didn't tell Caro.

Early doors we drive the S100. Sweet Blue Fanny Adams. I am upset as three elephants and two giraffe is not what I had hoped she would see. We went to the dam. Two fish eagles and six hippos. Caro wants lions. What now?

We turned right and in glorious, spectacular, blondness and beigeness (bleigeness) laid the lions. The gravel track is full of them. The road is impassable. Fifteen stunning, heart failing, supreme sub adult lions.

And then the white one rose.

My heart stopped. Lynyrd roared into silence. The Hubs was mesmerised. The world stopped turning just for that instant.

As my eyes gained focus, and I dragged them away from my golden white medal, buffalo 30 metres away came into view. The pride started flanking. Such stealth, such astounding silence. I didn't dare breathe. I couldn't. More lions left the road, hunkering down in the bush, using Lynyrd as cover to complete their formation. I could have stroked them as they brushed past. Those orange eyes bored into me, into my bones, as they stopped and stared. I have no fear of lions (foolishly) and The Hubs urged me to close my window a tad as I am 50cm from 4 lions, one lash away.

They are now all in position, waiting for a buffalo to enter the 'kill zone'. You would not have known that there were 15 lions flanked around you. You know where they are, but you cannot see them. They have blended in shadows, and colours and trees. Not a movement. Not a sound. A silence that I have never heard.

A woodland kingfisher, ridiculously, started calling. I let out a breath. Surreal does not come close. Imagine The Sound of Music playing in the trenches in WW1.

The buffs stepped towards us and lion heads slowly rose from the grass. Thirty ears, thirty eyes locked on. The game is on. My heart was racing like never before.

Then some FRIGGING IDIOT drove through the sighting saying, in her shrill, nails on a blackboard, voice, "I NEED TO GET TO THE PICNIC SITE. I NEED THE TOILET."

The lions disturbed by this small bladdered, selfish witch, jumped up. The buffs saw them. The buffs came for the lions and all Hell broke lose. Lions everywhere, buffs everywhere, buffs charging, lions charging, lions behind cars, my friend, Caro, stuck between all of them!

Another lion jumped up, scared for her life I am sure as the buffs were charging, sending the buffs in a completely new direction, and the lions followed.

The adrenaline, for an hour and a half, the burning sun, the shakes, the tears at finding my prize, was too much for me. I promptly vomited. Again and again.

Driving home, the tears flowed. So many dreams, so many miles all came together today.

And if I find that *issy *itch, I will smash her back window.

But for now I will rejoice in the feelings, that knock me wave by wave, for my dream came true today. I found my white lion. I found his pride. I am beyond replete.

Thanks Jacqueline Abington for allowing me to share this The Day My Dream Came True
* edit by RosemaryH
Rose

Awake

Unread post by Awake » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks Rose

I do love Jacqueline's Facebook posts. She writes so well :clap:
Kruger 2016: :D
January: Lower Sabie
March: Olifants
April: Satara, Olifants, Lower Sabie
May: Pretoriuskop, Ngwenya, Lower Sabie