Skip to Content

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Pangolin sightings in KNP?

Unread post by Albert » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:03 pm

Two Pangolin sightings; one near Berg en Dal at dusk in July (2010), and one near Lower Sabie in January of 2011, middle of the day, go figure! We were showing two French colleagues around, the next day we found a leopard in the middle of the road about 500 metres from the gate at Lower Sabie. I'm starting to think there might benefits to showing Europeans the sights in the KNP!
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mellory » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 am

Another pic of this beauty.

15th-18th Nov Sand Rive Bush Camp
18th-20st Nov 2015 Tamboti
20th-22nd Nov 2015 Shingwedzi

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:21 am

beauty... :hmz: is a great word, but extraordinary, is the good word for me :dance: :clap: :clap:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:19 am

wow for the sighting 8) and the photo's :clap: :clap: :clap:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mfezi » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:47 pm

I saw one in June 2000 on my first morning hike on the H2-2 road (Voortrekker road). We were watching something else when we spotted it. When the other animals ran off, it rolled up and the guide took us right up to the Pangolin. I have some nice video footage of it... Then I saw a youngster that had been caught in a snare, but that was outside the Park.

The doggies I have seen a few times on the S25 within 10km of the turn off from the tar road.

Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Pangolin

Unread post by RosemaryH » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:56 pm

To those fortunate one's who have seen and been able to photograph a Pangolin, you might be interested in submitting your photographs.
Details here SANParks Raises Awareness on World Pangolin Day

I have yet to see one :whistle:

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Pangolin

Unread post by RemiE » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:35 pm

New safeguards agreed for world's most trafficked mammal

:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:

A little known species driven to the edge of extinction by poaching has gained extra protection at the Cites meeting in South Africa.

Pangolins are slow moving, nocturnal creatures found across Asia and Africa but over a million have been taken from the wild in the last decade.

The trade is being driven principally by demand for their scales, which are used in traditional Chinese medicine.

Now the Cites meeting has agreed to ban all trade in eight species of Pangolin.

Scales of destruction

As the world's only mammal covered in scales, these species are sometimes known as scaly anteaters. The creatures have very long, sticky tongues. These come in very handy when searching for ants, their favourite food

However these scales, which the animal uses for protection, are one of the key reasons for their demise.

In traditional Chinese medicine they are dried and roasted and used for a variety of ailments including excessive nervousness, hysterical crying, palsy and to aid lactation.

As well as the scales, the meat of the Pangolin is eaten as bush meat in many parts of Africa and in China it has become something of a delicacy.

The level of illegal trade is astonishing. Between January and September this year, authorities seized more than 18,000 tonnes of Pangolin scales across 19 countries.

The majority of these scales came from African pangolins in Cameroon, Nigeria and Ghana. Experts estimate that each kilogramme of scales requires the killing of three or four animals. It is believed that pangolins make up around 20% of all illegal trade in species.

Zero quotas

All pangolins are already listed on Appendix II but with a zero quota for Asian species. This has caused major problems say conservationists.

"When pangolins are just in their product forms as scales or meat it's impossible to tell the Asian ones from the African ones," said Jeff Flocken from the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW).

"Up to now all Pangolins were on Appendix II with zero quota trade in the Asian species, but what that allowed was a massive trade in African species and also enabled a whole mechanism for laundering Asian ones as African ones which are legal."

Here at the Cites meeting, range state countries proposed that four species of African pangolins and four Asian varieties be up-listed to Appendix I meaning that all commercial trade would be stopped and greater protection demanded from law enforcement.

There was widespread support for the move, with few dissenting voices. All over the large hall, stuffed toy pangolins could be seen on desks, indicating sympathy for the plight of this little known species.

Indonesia objected to the up-listing of two Asian species, the Sunda and Chinese pangolins but the conference voted overwhelmingly to include them.
"This is a huge win and rare piece of good news for some of the world's most trafficked and endangered animals," said Ginette Hemley from WWF.

"Giving Pangolins full protection under Cites will eliminate any question about legality of trade, making it harder for criminals to traffic them and increasing the consequences for those who do."

Some objections had been expected about the African species but none materialized and the Conference of the Parties accepted the extra safeguards without a vote.

"Everyone wants this, law enforcement wants this," said Jeff Flocken from IFAW.

"When they are listed as Appendix I there will be no mistake as to what's legal or illegal, because they will all be illegal.

"This is a clear message from the world that the pangolins are in dire need of protection and we are going to try and make it happen."
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: Mother Nature’s Mood Swing – KNP 2016

Return to “Mammals”