Skip to Content

African Wild Dog

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
ColWD

Re: African Wild Dog

Unread post by ColWD » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:07 am

We had a good sighting in April of this year, on the S1 near Nyamundwa Dam, on the way out of the Park.

Something appeared on the rise, it took a moment for our eyes to adjust before realising what it was :dance:

The pack then disappeared into the bush before making an about turn and coming back into the road.

It was then that we heard something off to the right hand side, a straggler with a limp :(
The pack waited there, until.......

The family reunion :mrgreen:

Reunited they left us with one parting shot :cam:

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetah2111 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:11 am

Brilliant scenes Col :D
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by flying cheetah » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:02 pm

Seen on the S11 in November this year:

Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

swob9

Unread post by swob9 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:13 am

I had seen a couple of posts regarding the Wild Dog/Cheetah census and the results in the 2009 one. After a lot of googling I found this.

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/co ... tertHT.pdf

It is an excellent report. What I found most interesting and also worrying, was the substantial drop in Wild Dog populations in the north of Kruger. I have seen them in the south, like many, but wonder, has anyone had any recent sightings in the north? Would be very interested.

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:01 am

A very warm welcome to the forums, swob9! :dance: :dance: And what a way to enter! :wink: Thanks for the link. :thumbs_up:

Interesting reading, which also explains the decline of sightings in the last decade for me. Sad that both species are so low (although cheetah have been around the current numbers since I can remember), and that they are perhaps bottlenecked. However, as per the highs of 1995, let's hope that both will increase to healthier number soon. :pray: :pray:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by flying cheetah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:21 am

Welcome to the forum and thanks for this most interesting link swob9 :thumbs_up:
For me it was very interesting to read that there were 250 wild dogs in the North of Kruger in 1995 :o
Does anyone know where in the North you could find them these days and why the numbers have dropped down so dramatically??
I also think if such a study is done in the park (I think everybody saw the posters in the park) SANParks should put a link to find the results to their homepage. I guess most of the people who are on the forum are very interested in studies and research programs and it would be wonderful to have link to get the outcome of those.. :wink:
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

swob9

Unread post by swob9 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:52 am

Encouraging though, that the central and southern populations increased from 2005-2009.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on why the northern population has dropped so drastically? Or has seen them there recently?

The only thing I can possibly think of is artificial waterholes. I have no knowledge on the specifics but weren't they brought in a few years back? Possibly extending the ranges of competitors such as lions etc. Any ideas?!

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kallis1786 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi Swob, thanks for the input, to all Forum members I have been staying 45 mins from Punda gate for the past 15 years and have visited the Park every second weekend and have never had Wild Dog sightings between Punda and Shingwedzi since thats the only area of the park which I visit. I havent been to Pafuri lots and dont only visited the south of Kanniedood dam a few times as well. Over the past I have seen lots and lots of LIONS, I have also seen Leopard a few times and saw Cheetah a couple of times but never seen Wild Dogs, and just as a curious questions the wildebeest also decreased drastically because from seeing herds and herds of wildebeest to hardly seeing any now a days. There might be one wildebeest in a herd of Zebra but I dont really know if that could be a reason but could be a factor to take in concern.

swob9

Unread post by swob9 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:16 am

Kallis, interesting in what you have seen with the Wildebeest population. I also read that in the recent study on Botswana's wildlife numbers through an aerial survey, the Wildebeest population had virtually collapsed, especially in the Moremi Game Reserve. (Was published in Africa Georgaphic August 2011 I think...). I wonder if anyone has any more insight into this. Slightly worrying.

Impisi08

Unread post by Impisi08 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:46 pm

S114, January 29 and 30 2012. At that time, because of the flood, the H1-1 was closed after the junction with the S114. All the traffic to Berg & Dal and Pretoriuskop had to make a detour over the S114 so there was much more traffic than usual. The dogs didn't seem to mind. They were sleeping and playing on the road.

This dog is yawning. It was a cloudy morning but for a moment there was a bit of beautiful early sun light.

cheetah2111

Unread post by cheetah2111 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:50 pm

The Phalaborwa pack has finally been spotted again!
On the H14. The diagonal road from Phala to Mopani :thumbs_up:
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Flyingsailor

Unread post by Flyingsailor » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:51 pm

Floating wild dog!!!

I must admit to being very lucky with the doggies ... I've seen them early morning, midday, late afternoon ... Chase the sightings board and you may get lucky!

Heksie
Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures/insects (2014)

Unread post by Heksie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:09 am

I've got a few pics from my last trip in the Kruger :wink: BUT if you guys want to see the super juicy excellent ones then you guys would need to check my next TR... 'Binocs and Broomsticks' (will start when me and Cheetah are finished with our joint TR) :twisted:

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara

The Dog Lady

Unread post by The Dog Lady » Wed May 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi everyone,

i thought what better way to introduce myself than to tell you all about my recent visit to the kruger and my time with the Wild Dogs.

As i am from sydney/australia i do not get a chance to visit the Kruger all that often. well actually,very rairly. but i have had the chance to make 3 trips to the Kruger in the past three years. each time, hoping beyond hope that i would see Wild Dogs.
and would you beleive it , each time there have been sightings right up until a couple of days before i arrive...and then ....nothing. it was my reason to keep coming back.

well, this time i had 14 whole days in the Kruger park and i wasn't leaving until i saw my Wild Dogs. i had 10 days on a self drive , and 4 days with a company that i had used in the past (wild wings safaris)

for the first couple of days , i was always at the wrong end of the park at the wrong time,so whenever there was a sighting of the dogs i was always too far away.

on the fourth day , i joined (wild wings safaris) for a 4 day safari. three days past with no sightings of the wild dogs, not that the guide (Simon) did not try.everyone on the safari knew my passion for wild dogs and how much i wanted to see them.
on the last day with 4hrs to go i just tried to put it to the back of my mind ,so i wouldn't be dissapointed. then , simon receives a message to say there has been a sighting of wild dogs , it would be a long shot as they were 40km away , and we could possibly miss them , but everybody on board said to go for it and at least try.

so , filled with excitement , off we went in search of my wild dogs. the drive seemed to take forever. i was actually praying that they would still be there once we arived. i kept asking, how far now, are we there yet? finally we had reached the area where they were last seen,up ahead there were a few cars stopped at the side of the road,and my heart suddenly gained pace and started beating furiously,my eyes were like saucers looking for that first glimpse.

and then,there they were , a pack of 17 ,lying right next to the road. you can not imagine the overwhelming feeling of joy to be able to live your dream,it's just indescribeable.

we were able to be within meters of these beautiful creatures and to be looked in the eyes, by a wild dog is magical.
i was so happy, the dogs then decided they would start playing beside our vehicle. what a sight that was,and the sounds they make are wonderful. they were all jumping over each other and biting and pulling tails ,this went on for at least half an hour before we had to leave the park.
what a fantastic way to end the sfari and what a spectacular first sighting of wild dogs.

i will tell you about my second wild dog encounter some other time.
thanks for reading
cheers from downunder
The Dog Lady (jeanie) i will attempt to upload some pics.hope they work.

ImageImageImage

Vlakvarkvrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Vlakvarkvrou » Tue May 15, 2012 6:24 pm

Good evening,
For those who do not page through or read TR's under Travel Tales, I posted this earlier this evening in my TR :D

Dan and Catmatix asked me to post these photos of the glass-eating Wild Dogs we saw on the H1-1 near Skukuza during the cricket-weekend 10 March 2012.

Dog on the left has the bottle in his mouth
Dog behind the others playing with the bottle
Dog on the left putting it down
Still chewing

And the culprit

Luckily for the dogs, Dan and Catmatix managed to pick up the offending and dangerous piece of glass.
Skukuza(Cricket): 3-6 March 2016
Satara (BPOE brunch at Tshokwane): 13-17 Aug 2016
Croc Bridge(BPOE brunch at Tshokwane): 17-21 Aug 2016
Ngwenya Lodge: 28/10 - 4/11 2016

Return to “Mammals”