Skip to Content

Past Tusker - Mculu

barryels

Past Tusker - Mculu

Unread post by barryels » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Current Tusker - Mculu

Photo by Richard Sowry

Origin of Name: Named in honor of Ben Lamprecht who served in conservation in the South African National Park for 26 years. (Mculu is a shangaan word referring to the manner in which Ben was known to walk with his shoulders pulled up high).

Range: This bull seems to have a relatively small home range at present and is seen frequently in the immediately vicinity of the Letaba Restcamp and has also been recorded on the tar road towards Phalaborwa Gate.

Read more about Mculu Here
Always be humble and understanding.

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Identification Help – Tuskers

Unread post by RosemaryH » Wed May 04, 2016 2:04 pm

Tessa G wrote:Could I please have a possible ID on this elephant.
Rose I will PM details to you.

Tessa G great sighting :thumbs_up: Confirmation on your sighting as follows:
It is a bull known as Mculu, he definitely has the length the curve makes the length deceptive we picked up he broke his tusk around 2014, if you look at the second image you can see the large “w” shaped notch in the ear.

So I will move your sighting and ID over to his thread Mculu
Thanks for you submission and adding such value to this wonderful project. Great to have updated pictures of him here on the forum too.

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Wed May 04, 2016 2:20 pm

Rose and Kirsty, thanks so much for letting us know the names of these ellies.

I am so pleased that I now know that Mculu has a name and we have updated photos of him since he broke his one tusk.
We will certainly keep a look out for him. A very 'graceful' peaceful soul he is too. I hope he continues to have a long and peaceful life. :pray: :pray:
Current TR: The Awakening of a Parched Kruger - Tessa & Dave Dec 2016/17
TR: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
TR: 23 Days with Tessa & Dave - From Head to Tail DEC 2015

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Wed May 04, 2016 2:59 pm

:thumbs_up: I :pray: so too Tessa G
He looks like a gentle soul :k

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Tusker - Mculu

Unread post by RosemaryH » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:43 pm

:( Update:

MCULU (mid 2016, carcass found 29 March 2017)

Origin of Name: Named in honour of Ben Lamprecht who served in conservation in the South African National Park for 26 years. (Mculu is a Shangaan word referring to the manner in which Ben was known to walk with his shoulders pulled up high)

Range: This bull had a relatively small home range and was seen frequently in the immediately vicinity of the Letaba Restcamp and had also been recorded on the tar road towards Phalaborwa Gate.

Special Features: This bull had notable upright curved tusks the right tusk being shorter after suffering a break in 2014. A prominent growth/thickening on his trunk could be observed. His ears also had very distinguishing characteristics, his left ear had a ragged “w” shaped notches in the middle of the lobe, while the right ear has a significant u-shaped notch in the upper lobe, as well as a small “R2.00” sized hole towards the middle to lower area of the lobe.

General: This bull was first spotted in early in 2009 by Kirsty Redman in the Letaba area, but a lack of good quality photo’s and a similarity in ear notches to known tuskers failed to determine if this was a ‘new tusker’ or one of the known bulls. A series of good photo’s taken by Richard Sowry in August 2009 allowed this bull to clearly be identified as a ‘new tusker’ as well as previously unidentified submission to be clearly identified as the know known “Mculu”

A submission received in October 2014 showed that Mculu has broken the tip of his right tusk which now has the appearance of being more rounded. A leg injury evident in 2010 also appeared to have healed well based on the submission.

Sadly Mculu’s carcass was found by Letaba Rangers on 29th March 2017, and given the state of decomposition and scattering of the bones it is evident this magnificent bull had been deceased since mid - late 2016. The final sighting of him in May 2016 showing him in extremely poor condition would support this estimation. Fortunately his ivory was still in place and the unique break in 2014 and curved shape of the ivory allowed the bull to identified as that of Mculu.

TUSK DATA:
Length (cm) Left 253cm Right (Broken tusk) 220cm
Mass (kg) Left 46kg Right 44kg
Circumference at Lip (cm) Left 46cm Right 47.5cm

Return to “SANParks Tuskers”