SANParks Elephants

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Re: SANParks Elephants

Unread post by RosemaryH » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:45 am

Meandering Mouse wrote:The next group were all taken in September 2011.

I was staying at Shingwetzi and they are all from the area.

Another lone big fellow close to Shing

The collared elephant seen near Shingwedzi
I am very excited about this sighting, this appears to be the same collared bull sighted by Dr Johan Marais in March 2011 at Shingwedzi as well, we have not been able to link this bull to a project as of yet, and 2011 was the first ever sightings that we received. We have confirmed that it is not one of the Save the Elephants collars, but there are other projects with collared bulls so we are still trying to investigate. Again I would love to have these images per emails for the project so I can add them to the search to try and establish which project this bull belongs to. We do not like to duplicate names and if a bull has been collared by a project we would like to respect this process and align the naming and information with the project as with for example we did with Mac.

and in the same post - the bull, also seen near Shingwedzi
This is a superb old bull, and not one I know of. His ear markings are very characteristic and his tusks certainly put him clearly in the category of emerging tusker. The only hindrance I can see to naming and the possible further development of this bull is his age, he would appear to be an older bull. I would love to have these images per email to the project so I can create a monitoring file for him to see if we get further images of him and if naming should be considered.
Rose

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:57 am

Meandering Mouse wrote:This fellow was so far away and hidden in the bushes. It is from the same trip. Also close to Shingwetzi.

I was told it could be Mac.

Another elephant you requested an id on MM, that you thought might have been Mac.
This bull is unfortunately too hidden for me to be comfortable giving any idea on a confirmed sighting as I really cannot see any characteristic markings, I tried to enlarge it but I could not get a reasonable look, so any ID would be a guess. I can with reasonable certainty say that it would not have been Mac, while the tusks appear to have the right shape the bull seen in these images does not have a collar on him, Mac was definitely collared and normally you would see the transmitter box between the ears this is not present here.
Rose

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Identification Help – Tuskers

Unread post by RosemaryH » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:05 pm

JenB wrote:Any possible ID on this one Rose?
We saw him on the S100 during May 2012.

8) JenB - Would be great if you would email your photo's. :thumbs_up: Thanks.

This is not a known bull, I do have images of a bull with similar tusks and notches in the left ear, but his right ear is floppy so definitely not the same bull, I have gone through all the monitoring files and cannot match the ear marking otherwise. He is a notable bull, and if I could get the images by email I would be happy to open a monitoring film on him.
Rose

jaytea
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Best Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or insects (2015)

Unread post by jaytea » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:45 am

Hi there,

Just wondering if this guy is a known tusker - we saw him in November 2013 on the H1-3 south of Satara.

He has a floppy right ear...

I have some more photos of him I could upload - but we never really got a front on view.....

Thanks!
My latest trip report is started! https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=97558
Old trip reports:
A New Species each day! KNP Nov 2013

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Thu May 01, 2014 7:02 am

Apologies for the delay in posting a reply jaytea :gflower:

This bull is not a named one, he has a right floppy ear so is recognizable through that, without a frontal view it is a bit challenging to give a certain identification. I have only received one other image of what I think is the same bull as this from the ranger at Kingfisherspruit, the time frame and location support this, he certainly has potential and is estimated to be in his early 40’s so he has time to develop further. He is being monitored and hopefully with a few more sightings he will be eligible for naming.

:hmz: maybe you should submit the other photo's you have :thumbs_up:
Rose

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Tue May 13, 2014 10:35 am

Flip&Elmien wrote:We saw this elephant in June 2012 on the H14. Is she a known tusker? I didn't see any other photo's of her on other treads. Any info will be welcomed. Sorry for the video but if I take out just a photo from the video, the quality is very poor.

Thanks for posting the video Flip&Elmien :thumbs_up: Will be an interesting to keep an eye on this one :thumbs_up:
Your reply from the team :D
It is an interesting female, not one I have seen before, the hole could have been caused by damage from sharp vegetation or sometimes in fights and the damage has healed creating this hole. It is unusual to my knowledge to have one so far in towards the lobe though. I noted her tusks fairly think and are also quiet skew so she could be easily recognized. Hopefully more footage of her will be forthcoming in the future.

:popcorn:
Rose

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by salamanda » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:12 pm

RosemaryH wrote:
Meandering Mouse wrote:The next group were all taken in September 2011.

I was staying at Shingwetzi and they are all from the area.

Another lone big fellow close to Shing

I've come late to this topic as I couldn't find it, seems that the ID thread has migrated to here. So maybe someone has asked this already , but I just wondered if this guy is not Babalala 2? He seems to have the right ear markings on both ears and a chip out of the right tusk? Or have all the names changed now?

jaytea
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by jaytea » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:10 am

Hi!
Just wondering if this guy is an emerging known tusker

We saw him between Punda and Pafuri on the tar road November 9, 2013

Thanks!
ImageIMG_6977 by justene_t, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6991 by justene_t, on Flickr
My latest trip report is started! https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=97558
Old trip reports:

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi jaytea :)

Unfortunately not a named tusker but none the less a beauty :thumbs_up: Thanks for posting.

This is a nice bull and is he young so he will be worth monitoring as a potential emerging tuskers but I would want to see more development first.

Others travelling in the area be sure to keep a look out for him :thumbs_up:
Rose

jaytea
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by jaytea » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:01 pm

Thanks Rosemary! He was nice and chilled so hopefully he will become a good ambassador for the tuskers in the future!

:dance:
Old trip reports:

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi Rosemary,

Saw this bull just outside Satara Camp 2 weeks ago.
I am sure you get so many "nearly tuskers" but you might have records of this one already. His tusks were long, but not very thick.
Sorry no frontal view -- waited about 15 minutes, but he didn't move.
God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi Friedrich :) Thanks for posting.
Good looking ellie.
I shall pass it on to see if there is anything on file for this one. Tusks seem long but maybe not thick enough :hmz:
Rose

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RemiE » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:05 am

:dance: :dance: Thank you RosemaryH
So glad that he is an emerging tusker
I will email through all my high resolution images .........
Hope to see him again on our next visit........... :pray:
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: Mother Nature’s Mood Swing – KNP 2016

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:09 am

:thumbs_up: Very 8) I like this ellie :)

I too hope you see him again :D
Rose

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:10 am

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote::yaya:
Sighted this Elephant on the 7th June 2014, at approximately 11.45 am, on the H1-6, just before the turnoff to Mopani camp.
Unfortunately the Elephant was far from the road… approximately ( 400m – 450m not very good at judging distances !! :wall: ) It looked as if there was some water in that area where he was standing, as he was busy drinking.
Also only have video footage available.
The Elephant also did not turn, to get footage of the other side of him either. :twisted:
We eventually decided to turn in on the tar road towards Mopani, to see if we would perhaps have a better view from there. Sadly the vegetation and a small rise made this impossible to even see the Elephant. :|
Hope with the limited video screen shots, it may be sufficient to ID, as a possible tusker.

A reply in for your sighting Trrp-trrrrrrrr :D :D (I have just noticed the zebra behind him in the 3rd pic 8) )

Given the angle and image quality a 100% identification is really not possible, as much as I would love to give you a name I would not want to mislead anyone with a guarantee. Given the shape and length and lack of markings in the right ear I am leaning towards Mavalanga but it is really difficult to be certain.

Rose

Return to “SANParks Tuskers”