Skip to Content

Table Mountain - sad about a lost Disa opportunity

Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2015)

Table Mountain - sad about a lost Disa opportunity

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:55 am

As you all know that I am very passionate about Table Mountain and try to promote its beauty via this Forum and on SANParks- TM facebook page. :D

One of my dreams is to photograph the Red Disa or any Disa for that matter growing in the wild on TM, which takes place Jan- March every year.
With crime a concerning matter, I contacted TM Management for guidance how to go about and where best to experience this special and beautiful wonder on TM.

After a lot of telephone calls, I eventually got through to the TM - Secretary Area Manager. She explained to me about the permit and also told me the Red Disa flowers are dying, but the Blue Disas are flowering now. She was kind to e-mail me these photos.

I requested that she advise me when there is an opening so I can join a group to enjoy this beauty, but did not receive any response.
3 days later I e-mailed her again as I desperately need to get there before they also die off - still no response. :wall:

Nevertheless, this is extremely disappointing and it is already mid March and I am sure I have missed another special opportunity and guess I just have to keep on dreaming ..... :hmz: :hmz: :hmz: :hmz:... perhaps try again next year. :?
"Everything I do, is exclusively my appreciation for the love of nature and showcase my Creator's creation".

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Table Mountain - sad about a lost Disa opportunity

Unread post by Hugh » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:05 pm

KSD that blue Disa is really very beautiful . Hope you get some reply soon . It would be amazing to see
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:39 pm

I do hope that you get a response from someone soon Kaapsedraai. I know how passionate you are about these flowers, TM and your photography in general.
Current TR: The Awakening of a Parched Kruger - Tessa & Dave Dec 2016/17
TR: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
TR: 23 Days with Tessa & Dave - From Head to Tail DEC 2015

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:07 am

Such a pity about not receiving a response to your request Kaapsedraai! :cry:

Those Disas are simply stunning! Both the blue and red! I completely understand your wish to see them for yourselve and take your own pictures of them! Holding thumbs that you will be able to get into contact with the right person to arrange for you to visit next year and see both colours in fresh and full bloom! :pray:
"There can be no friendship without confidence, and no confidence without integrity". - Samuel Johnson.

Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:40 am

Hugh wrote:KSD that blue Disa is really very beautiful . Hope you get some reply soon . It would be amazing to see

Hugh, they are stunning. Thank you for the comment :D
I do not expect any reply as I have given up to be honest - will try again next year :?

Tessa G wrote:I do hope that you get a response from someone soon Kaapsedraai. I know how passionate you are about these flowers, TM and your photography in general.

Tessa G, thank you for commenting :thumbs_up:
I guess we have to consider doing a trip to Harold Porter Botanical Gardens to enjoy the red disa in the wild, seems to be the only option left :roll:
It would just be so special to see them first hand on Table Mountain, not so. If it was not for the potential crime situation, especiall carrying expensive camera equipment, I would have done this long ago. :hmz:

hilda wrote:Such a pity about not receiving a response to your request Kaapsedraai! :cry:

Those Disas are simply stunning! Both the blue and red! I completely understand your wish to see them for yourselve and take your own pictures of them! Holding thumbs that you will be able to get into contact with the right person to arrange for you to visit next year and see both colours in fresh and full bloom! :pray:

hilda, yes - I am really disappointed as the lady on the phone really promised me she will phone me and see what she can do.
I explained that I will promote this on the forum and is available anytime when there is an opportunity.
Last year I an even worse experience with SANP TM by really struggling to get through to the correct dept to assist with lots of transfers, no answering of phones and just unresponsive resulting in me giving up.
This year I tried again and fortunately some person, after again a number of different calls and transfers and got through to this one lady - only to be ignored again. It s not a once off experience, as I have experienced same last year.
The window of opportunity has closed, hence guess will be another year and opportunity lost - one also gets older and mobility also deteriorating as I am not a young person anymore. :D
Thank you for the interest shown.

To the Mods:
Please close this topic as enough has been said and expressed.
The window of opportunity is close.
"Everything I do, is exclusively my appreciation for the love of nature and showcase my Creator's creation".

Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Thank you Elsa for coming back to me providing me with alternative contact information. :thumbs_up: :clap:

I appreciate your assistance in this regard and hopefully next year we can enjoy these flowers on the forum, thereby potentially creating a desire for others to visit Table Mountain with this iconic flower also on their bucket list. :D

Return to “Service Related Feedback”