Skip to Content

Behavior at sightings

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
DoggyStyleGifts

Behavior at sightings

Unread post by DoggyStyleGifts » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:12 pm

Ok, I have to vent for a minute. I cannot understand what's difficult to grasp about etiquette at sightings. Today on the road from berg en dal north to Skukuza there was a small herd of elephants eating along the side of the road with two babies. We pull to the other side and give ample room. Traffic builds at the sighting. Then along comes a large white van driven by an older gentleman and it's diesel so it's noisy. He pulls right up to the smallest elephant. The elephant gets quite upset, trumpets, another does a mock charge and all the cars are scattering to get away. The herd gets into the road and advances on all the cars behind us. We waited to see if there was going to be an attack. The elephants finally went back into the brush and all was well.

We continue north and turn on 118 to visit the water hole because our last visit was incredible. We turn a curve and right there on the side of the road is a huge white rhino. Again we pull to the right to give it distance and we watch. Again this large diesel can ends up coming down the road behind us, pulls right along side the rhino and there the van sits. The rhino gets angry and lucky for the van, bolts into the brush rather than at the vehicle. We had it with this family by now so we pulled to the water hole and reversed our direction so this vehicle could no longer end up behind us.

Now Skukuza. We are at the intersection of h4? And the first road just before you get to h12. There's a male lion just sitting in the road. Right there, plain view, no obstructions, quite magnificent. We admire the sight. Suddenly, a family in a pickup truck towing a trailer decides to drive right at the lion! He's forced to get up and move and into the brush he goes joining he rest of the pride. Why do that?! If he had turned right he would have hit h12 and could have taken the parallel road that also goes to Skukuza! But that want enough. Now everyone is trying to see where the male went into the brush and people start laying on their horns. We left them all to their circus.

Finally, we are at the four way intersection right outside Skukuza gate. There's a hyaena right alongside the road. We are the second car. The sighting is on our side of the road, no travel is being blocked. A line of cars pull up behind, then pass us and the other car in front of us enjoying the view and they squeeze in, cutting everyone off. Travel is still not blocked along the right though but again, people start laying on their horns like it was a parade! Why are people doing this?!?! The hyaena bolted.

Last night on a sunset drive we see a leopard. It's on open ground, no obstructions. This family which included a teen and a pre teen start hooting and hollering, whistling and cat calling the leopard as if they can convince it to approach the vehicle for a pet! Naturally the leopard got up and slinked away.

Where has common sense gone? We're finding leopards easier than we are other guests possessing courtesy and common sense.

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Behavior at sightings

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi DoggyStyleGifts

Sorry you had so many bad experience on top of each other!
Really annoying!
I have never had half that many in a whole holiday (must be because I spend most of the time on dirt roads, and disappear once the cars start building up at a sighting)

Hope you have better behaved neighbours next time!

God bless,

Friedrich von Horsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

DoggyStyleGifts

Unread post by DoggyStyleGifts » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:46 pm

The entire trip has been great so far. I just don't know what's gotten into people all of a sudden. I'd still rather be here than working.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:37 pm

DSG, sorry you had such unplpeasant encounters, BUT did you take down the number plate(s) and report these offenses to camp reception? Or to the emergency phone line? That way measures can be taken, but if the authorities don't have information, rule breakers will persist. :wall: :twisted:
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

CathW

Unread post by CathW » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:26 pm

I'm hoping you were just unlucky, because that was a whole lot of bad behaviour. How can people think that hooting around animals will somehow give them a better view?

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:29 am

arks wrote:DSG, sorry you had such unplpeasant encounters, BUT did you take down the number plate(s) and report these offenses to camp reception? Or to the emergency phone line? That way measures can be taken, but if the authorities don't have information, rule breakers will persist. :wall: :twisted:

I am afraid to say that firmer measures need to be taken. I am so sorry to hear about your upsetting experience. I also find this kind of behavior unacceptable.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

pamelajane

Unread post by pamelajane » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:31 am

:naughty: Hooting is strictly forbidden in Kruger but difficult to report without proof. We have also encountered some unbelievable behaviour at sightings where people have blocked the road and we have been stuck for over an hour -invariably it is due to sleeping lions. Surely there should be a hefty fine for blocking access to traffic ? It is quite easy to get a photo of the offenders and report their bad behaviour but without a fine I am afraid they wouldn't care less. We saw someone drive into the bush near Lowere Sabie to get closer to lions in the riverbed and when they saw me taking a photo of their car they gave me the finger and some abuse :evil: perhaps a large sign warning people to allow access to traffic at all times as one enters the park might help?

zivvy&muffin

Unread post by zivvy&muffin » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:25 pm

We are just back from 20 days and were pretty lucky to have very few sightings messed up this time (we feared worse as the Park was very busy).
It is noticeable that the South of the Park has more cars around and (many) more inexperienced drivers / occupants; hence Elephant sightings can go wrong very easily.

As Friedrich points out, often easiest to drive away when the 'tipping point' approaches. We did that at a Leopard sighting on the tar near Phala gate we controlled for 5 mins ... then drove off with the Leopard sat two metres away from us, on the road, calm and regal. The cars behind couldn't believe their luck and hopefully got some even nicer pictures.
But yes, rudeness or ill-manners contravening rules ... its a photo and a report every time.

As to the Sunset Drive point in DSG's post. I am inferring this was at a main camp and on a 20-seater vehicle? Almost impossible for the Guide to control the guests we have avoided these bigger vehicles for a while now .. tundra buggies we call them!

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

OSV Behavior at sightings

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:37 am

Yesterday someone posted this on the SANParks (not SANParks Kruger National Park) Face Book Page

I count ELEVEN OSV's (open top service vehicles) and just two Tourist vehicles. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:rtm: I also see how these OSV's, who are supposed to be observing the Park Regulations and OSV guidelines,
blatently not doing so.
FOUR ABREAST !

I suggest more reporting by Tourists and more Operator License revocation is enforced .
(not sure i can see the yellow OSV license stickers tho')

(yes I know KNP makes a lot of money from OSV's;
they will still come but maybe be more respectful of the other KNP visitors
and set an example to other Tourists too)
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. TR done
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
Other TR's 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi Inyanga;

This is the response on Facebook from SATSA:

Use correct channels to report OSV rule breaking

To report incidents please submit a detailed description, location, date, time and photo or video proof of the incident to osv@satsa.co.za.

Hannelie du Toit‎ to SANParks - Kruger National Park:

4 mins · Johannesburg · In response to some of the posts on the group recently I hope you don’t mind that I advise members of this group again of the monitoring process put in place as a partnership between SANParks, the Southern African Tourism Services Association (SATSA) and the OSV Industry. A consistent problem experienced in the Kruger National Park is that of inappropriate behaviour and rule breaking. Offenders exist amongst the public, OSVs and other official vehicles. To this end the OSV industry stood together and added a monitoring element to the Industry Self-Regulation Project – a first-of-its-kind in South Africa. Monitoring is taken very seriously and all incidents are captured and actioned. This means that for the public there is a procedure, displayed on a yellow decal on all OSV vehicles operating in the Kruger National Park, to report rule breaking through official channels. It is important to note that proof of the incident as well as a detailed statement must be provided to ensure that constitutional rights are protected. It is disheartening to see incidents, often with no actual proof, being posted on social media sites instead of through the official channel. These postings causes a deluge of negative comments, some of which can be classified as defamatory, which only aids in fuelling more negativity. As an industry the OSV Operators have taken responsibility for their behaviour and incidents can be reported and actioned. We would strongly advice that the correct channels are followed and through working together we can create a better experience for all in the Kruger National Park. As South African citizens we need to understand the importance of Tourism for our economy and also for places like Kruger National Park. We have to be aware of how we are perceived, how we treat our tourists and how we share the beauty of our country with them. The total contribution of Travel & Tourism to GDP was ZAR357bn (9.4% of GDP) in 2014, and was forecast to rise by 3.4% in 2015, and to rise by 4.3% pa to ZAR561.4bn (10.4% of GDP) in 2025, according to the World Travel and Tourism Council. South African Tourism’s research shows that 85% of all overseas visitors come to South Africa for its wildlife. The country thus competes against safari destinations like Kenya, Tanzania and Botswana. The OSV industry allows South Africa to stay competitive and through independent marketing it is responsible for bringing in over 4% of overseas tourist arrivals to Kruger National Park.

To report incidents please submit a detailed description, location, date, time and photo or video proof of the incident to osv@satsa.co.za.
My apologies for such a long post.
Sawubona
Dalene

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks DB. The important point is to use the correct channels to report violations of any kind. Social media is not a correct channel. Use the numbers printed on the front page of the entry permit - better still, have them recorded on your phone for immediate reference.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:51 pm

Dalen,

thaks for the official reponse

I'm sorry your posting seems be condensed rather than readable.... I'll repost below...

Also I guess the person taking the photo, like me, could see no yellow decals on the vehicles !

My points are:-

1 All Tourists should be actively encouraged to report misbehaviour
(i.e a sheet of 'what is bad behaviour and how it is reported, anonymously ?' given out at the gates).

2 Are any OSV's allowed in the Park without both front/side and rear decals visible?

3 When are irremovable GPS trackers
(i.e. giving your tracker to another whilst you zoom off)
going to be used for all OSV's and Contractor vehicles.

To my impression the OSV's appear to be what 'Tourists' complain about the most on these forums....

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

SATSA comment on OSV Behavior at sightings

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:55 pm

DinkyBird wrote:Hi Inyanga;

This is the response on Facebook from SATSA:

Use correct channels to report OSV rule breaking

Hannelie du Toit‎ to SANParks - Kruger National Park:

In response to some of the posts on the group recently I hope you don’t mind that I advise members of this group again of the monitoring process put in place as a partnership between SANParks, the Southern African Tourism Services Association (SATSA) and the OSV Industry.

A consistent problem experienced in the Kruger National Park is that of inappropriate behaviour and rule breaking. Offenders exist amongst the public, OSVs and other official vehicles.

To this end the OSV industry stood together and added a monitoring element to the Industry Self-Regulation Project – a first-of-its-kind in South Africa. Monitoring is taken very seriously and all incidents are captured and actioned. This means that for the public there is a procedure, displayed on a yellow decal on all OSV vehicles operating in the Kruger National Park, to report rule breaking through official channels.

It is important to note that proof of the incident as well as a detailed statement must be provided to ensure that constitutional rights are protected.

It is disheartening to see incidents, often with no actual proof, being posted on social media sites instead of through the official channel. These postings causes a deluge of negative comments, some of which can be classified as defamatory, which only aids in fuelling more negativity.

As an industry the OSV Operators have taken responsibility for their behaviour and incidents can be reported and actioned. We would strongly advice that the correct channels are followed and through working together we can create a better experience for all in the Kruger National Park.

As South African citizens we need to understand the importance of Tourism for our economy and also for places like Kruger National Park. We have to be aware of how we are perceived, how we treat our tourists and how we share the beauty of our country with them. The total contribution of Travel & Tourism to GDP was ZAR357bn (9.4% of GDP) in 2014, and was forecast to rise by 3.4% in 2015, and to rise by 4.3% pa to ZAR561.4bn (10.4% of GDP) in 2025, according to the World Travel and Tourism Council. South African Tourism’s research shows that 85% of all overseas visitors come to South Africa for its wildlife. The country thus competes against safari destinations like Kenya, Tanzania and Botswana. The OSV industry allows South Africa to stay competitive and through independent marketing it is responsible for bringing in over 4% of overseas tourist arrivals to Kruger National Park..

My apologies for such a long post.

dalene
thks

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:32 pm

The decals are on back OR right back - I don't think they have to be on both.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi inyanga 1

My points are:-

1 All Tourists should be actively encouraged to report misbehaviour
(i.e a sheet of 'what is bad behaviour and how it is reported, anonymously ?' given out at the gates).
Any rule transgression can/should be reported. And the rules are printed on the Travel Document issued at the gate. I think we visitors have to use common sense obviously and not report 'innocent' cases - if someone has a good reason to hop safely out their car to pick up something that might have blown out the window into the road for eg.

2 Are any OSV's allowed in the Park without both front/side and rear decals visible?
As Hippotragus said, the yellow sticker is either on the rear, or side - towards the back, of the OSV.

3 When are irremovable GPS trackers
(i.e. giving your tracker to another whilst you zoom off)
going to be used for all OSV's and Contractor vehicles.
Kruger management is keen to implement this (for general visitors too), but the legal side has to be complied to and I believe that is the tricky part.

To my impression the OSV's appear to be what 'Tourists' complain about the most on these forums....
Yes, they do get a lot of 'bad press' but in my experience, over 70 days in the Kruger earlier this year, there is a marked improvement in OSV behaviour in the park. I do believe the self regulation is working well - from what I have seen, not what I read on social media.
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”