Skip to Content

What is Good Behaviour on a Game Drive?

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

What is Good Behaviour on a Game Drive?

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:37 am

What is good game viewing etiquette or behaviour? A few that I can think of from a personal perspective include:

1) Silence
Wild Animals are usually sensitive to human exhilaration.
2) Do not Move
Remain seated in the vehicle. Wild animals do get hungry too.
3) Sharing the delight of Seeing.
Allow others to see what you are seeing.
4) Sensitivity regarding Diversity
Birds are also found in the Wild and some of the drivers or those being driven are bird watchers. Birds are excellent fliers when disturbed.

(Examples of bad game viewing etiquette and behaviour, whether self-drive or as part of a guided game drive are frequently and extensively reported in the media and social media)
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: What is Good Behaviour on a Game Drive?

Unread post by saraf » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:40 am

Oh please don't get me started. But the one thing that stands out for me from my last few games drives is:

Listen to the guide.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:28 am

When doing a self-drive game drive be aware that the animals are wild animals and follow the rules of the Park and apply basic common or logical sense.

I have read that a YouTube video was posted of a tourist in the Kruger National Park who rolled down the vehicles window while a young male lion can be seen next to the car. The lion snapped at the tourist who kept on filming.

I suppose good and acceptable game viewing behaviour cannot be communicated enough as some humans need constant reminders of how to view, react and show respect when amongst animals in the wild.

Fortunately the majority of guests in the Kruger National Park still know good behaviour when in nature and in the natural environment of the animals. A big thank you to all of them.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Cecilec
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Cecilec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi grantmissy,

thanks for alll those behavier rules :clap: :clap: :clap:

I do agree, lots of KNP guests do behave.What gets me angry is, when they get into danger ,most time they blame it on the (WILD) annimals, they get often in trouble because of that.

It is like all over the world,still Gamedrives are also dificult for the guides, because some guides told us, the tourists just want to see "LIONS LIONS" or big5.

Anyway ,we wish all firends who go in the next days to KNP, be careful because of the bad weather.

Greetings

Cécile :gflower:
19.04.-21.04.17 Berg en Dal
21.04.-25.04.17 Crocodile Bridge
25.04.-30.04.17 SATARA
30.04.-06.05.17 LETABA
06.05.-08.05.17 Lower Sabi
08.05.-10.05.17 Crocodile Bridge

[b] "Try to have always your ducks in a row."
[/b]

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:42 am

Yes Cécile :gflower: it is good that the majority of visitors to the Kruger National Park follow the rules. Also when they are on a self or guided game drive. Not long now then you will be in the Kruger Park :D :thumbs_up:

I would say that it is good for visitors to have a realistic expectation when they go on a game drive - self drive or guided. I do not think just wanting to see LIONS are realistic. All sightings are important and rewarding. Once we were looking at a very impressive spider web on the H1-10 when a car with a very excited driver and passengers parked next to us asking (almost demanding) where do we see the Lions! When we responded no no no we are looking at the spider web next to the road and showed it to them they just went AAArrrgggg Nooooo Please!!!! and drove off in a hurry to find lions we assumed.

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Philip1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:46 am

Grantmissy wrote: Once we were looking at a very impressive spider web on the H1-10 when a car with a very excited driver and passengers parked next to us asking (almost demanding) where do we see the Lions! When we responded no no no we are looking at the spider web next to the road and showed it to them they just went AAArrrgggg Nooooo Please!!!! and drove off in a hurry to find lions we assumed.

Same here Grantmissy. Happened twice me and Trrp.
We were looking at one lonely little flower next to the road, and the other time looking at a mushroom in a crack on the tar. :D

When we were asked "what do you see", we told them what It was, and even pointing it out to them. They replied with just a "OH" and left very disgusted. :oops:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:35 am

Philip it is so true - sightings of smaller things should be equally important than a rarer or predator sighting. But in our experience by far the majority of visitors to the Kruger National Park do adhere to the rules and share and appreciate smaller sightings. There are exceptions though.

We have seen some visitors who do have body parts out of the vehicle especially when there is a sighting of lions/other predators. Some visitors may not realise that when the animals get relatively close to vehicles is not because the animals are tame but rather that they have, over time, become accustomed to and relaxed with the presence of the vehicles and NOT humans. By exposing yourself from your vehicle or getting out for example, the animals recognise your upright stance or human smell or … and they will either run away or at close quarters attack as they will feel immediately threatened.

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RemiE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:39 am

Grantmissy and Philip1 now that you’ve mentioned cars approaching to ask for lions it reminds me of something considerate we consider as good behaviour on a game drive. When we see a stationary vehicle we slow down and approach extremely slowly. This way there is a greater chance of us also enjoying the sighting without it being frightened away? And almost always our consideration is met with consideration and sight sharing great or small
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: Mother Nature’s Mood Swing – KNP 2016

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:26 pm

RemiE,that is also such a good point .Too frequently you stop to observe something in the bush or just to closely look at the "lion shaped rock" and you are suddenly swamped from behind and infront with cars racing towards you to find out what you have seen.
We always have a flask with coffee or cold water in when we are out on our drives and I have learnt now if we are just stopping to try and confirm or reassess a sighting to put the glass and 2 cups on the dashboard.It is bright yellow,so people get the message and move off.If indeed we have spotted something we are always willing to share the information with other people.

I remember when my hubby and I had been bitten for the first time by the bird watching and id-ing bug.We would stop for most flutters and and shrill tweets or trills.....we did however put our spare bird book in the front dashboard and a small A4 paper with black writing stating Bird Watching printed on it in the back window.That certainly helped to lessen the curious crowds watching us watching a lilac breasted roller......this was a good 12-15 years ago.
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:06 pm

RemiE I agree consideration in most cases is rewarded with consideration from other visitors in the Kruger National Park in my experience too. Some of the visitors who decide to break the rules may even decide to follow the examples or behaviour of the majority of visitors who continue showing consideration for others and who respect the rules.

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RemiE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Mischief that is such a brilliant idea the bright yellow coffee mugs will definitely keep that in mind on our next visit.
We’ve experienced so many times at a notable sighting that approaching vehicles have the tendency to speed up and the spook whatever we’ve been looking at and I will admit if it wasn’t for an elbow jab from SO I would not easily share the sighting.
Grantmissy that is exactly our view. Lead by example. Sometimes newbies to the park takes a while to ease into that Kruger magic and once they realize the enormity of all they learn to enjoy the finer things that Kruger has to offer.
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: Mother Nature’s Mood Swing – KNP 2016

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”