Skip to Content

Olifants Sightings

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
bridgeman
Guru
Guru

Olifants Sightings

Unread post by bridgeman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:40 pm

moment of silent on game night drives

when ever you get a chance to go on a night drive here in kruger never miss a chance of enjoying the experience of being there at night, just ask your guide to give you a moment of silence with all the lights off and look at all those fire flys flashing left and right, im telling you will never get such filling any where else in the world, sometimes you get lucky enough and here lions roaring very close and all those night jars...woow! very very! nice

bridgeman(Oliphants Guide)

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: moment of silent on game night drives

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi Bridgeman, welcome to the forum :)

I agree with you totally, what a great experience. This should also be done for some stargazing if possible (unless Olifants offers the astronomy experience again).

By the way, I was one of your passengers on the sunset drive on Thursday night last week (2 leopard, african wild cat etc). The stop on the low-level bridge with all the fire flies was indeed fantastic. (Pity I didn't realise the lenscap on my video camera was still on, I just thought it couldn't pick up the fireflies :redface: ). Also, you had at least 4 forum members on that drive (me and the Prings).
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Betelgeuse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Betelgeuse » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:50 am

Welcome Bridgeman!
I agree with you by having silent moments on drives, you can experience nature in a different and memorable way.

All the best
There is nothing like looking, if u want to find sumthing. You certainly usually find sumthing, if u look, but it is not always quite the sumthing you were after. - JRR Tolkien.

Inyati

Unread post by Inyati » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:25 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
We need more guides like you!!!!

One of the better evenings was at the bridge just before Afsaal heading towards Berg n Dal... Driver stopped the vehicle, switched the lights and told all to keep quiet... (He didn't tell us why- we thought a Leopard was in the river, so kept our traps shut)... The suddenly out of the dark night sky, we saw the fireflies, and the heard lions in the distance... We stayed there for about 30minutes, one of my most memorable moments....

On a very rainy night, just boardering the park, we took a drive. Two huge male lions were on the hunt for impala... In the interest of wildlife being true, we switched the lights off. How truley amazing.... These two beast took down three impala in a matter of minutes, and we heard it all, didn't see a thing, absolutely awesome!!!!

Great to hear you going to give your guests similar experiences!!! :dance:
"All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific."

Bundu_SA_Guy

Unread post by Bundu_SA_Guy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:39 pm

Was in the Park (Lower Sabie) over the long weekend and went on a Sunset Drive, remebered about the moment of silence from the blog and was going to tell our guide, but she beat me to it and turned off the motor, switched off the lights and requested those with the floodlights to do the same for more then a minute we sat in dead silence, it was TOTALLY awesome, heard some frogs and owls.

The guide we had was also fantastic, her name was Martie and she really had us going with her humour and her knowledge and spotting was just incredible, she even spotted chameleons in the dark and 2 red lipped snakes on the road.
Stress levels are rising ... need a Kruger fix

bridgeman
Guru
Guru

ngotso dam again!

Unread post by bridgeman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Good day every one

i'm back with another heat again!

22-10-2009 (morning drive 05:30-08:00)

as usual i decided to go and try something down south, got good elephants(High level bridge) good buffaloes and lost count of giraffes and the Hyenas in a den 2ks from oliphants bridge. Just before Ngotso dam we took a left turn about 2km in we saw a group of cars just a km where we made the turn off and every body was very curious to know what was happening there and we quickly made a turn and drove straight there and Booom! 7lions :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: killed a zebra in the middle of the road and dragged it few miters next to the road + - 15meters,every body was woow!

I cant believe we made a turn 1/2km from a perfect sighting(you cant afford to make a wrong turn) to see the lions full of fresh blood on their face like that was eeh! eeh! eeh!(sory i cant find the right words to describe that) all thanks to those cars packed on the spot....

have a wonderful day (see you next time)
.........>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ngotso Dam a.k.a Ngotso Zooo!(a place where you get everything)

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Olifants Sightings

Unread post by Batmad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:05 pm

Howzit Bridgeman 8)

I went on a afternoon walk with you and Denis on our previous Trip. I just wanted to say thank you for an amazing walk! I am inspired to be like you when i am older.

A photo of us

Bridgeman on the far Left and denis on the Far right.

Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by spargish » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:10 pm

okay, okay here is the pic
NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

Mauxie

Unread post by Mauxie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:06 pm

I also love the Olifants area, altho' I must admit that I haven't seen a huge amount there. I have had some wonderful lion and elephant sightings tho'. Having said that... on a night drive from Olifants, last October, I saw a pocupine, a lioness, spring hares (a first for me :D ). and 2 honey badgers :dance: . EDIT: I just remembered that we also saw an African wild cat, on that same night drive, as well.

My best sighting, by far, was late one afternoon while on my way to Olifants, also in October last year. I saw this gorgious leopard, on the Ngotso Weir road (S89), just past the weir. He was in a tree a few metres from my car. He was asleep at first but then sat up and eventually came down and started stalking some huge buffalo. Needless to say, he wasn't successful!

KRUGER, my happy place!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BIYAMITI 1st & 2nd OCTOBER
SKUKUZA 3rd & 4th
OLIFANTS 5th
SATARA 6th , 7th & 8th
LOWER SABIE 9th , 10th & 11th
BERG EN DAL 12th

bridgeman
Guru
Guru

Unread post by bridgeman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:50 pm

I would suggest you take the S90 towards satara about 4k's then join the S89 towards the tar road, there's been good reports lately mainly in the morning, afternoon S92 will do with lost of game going down to drink before it gets dark.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:28 am

On the S39 last december:

On the S44 in 2004:

Near the S44 on a nightdrive:

But I agree that the area can be rather dull, even birdwise. It is a fantastic landscape though, and that is part of my enjoyment too.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Olifants Sightings

Unread post by Lourens » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:23 pm

:D Good evening everyone!!!

Welcome to the NEW thread: Olifants Sightings!!!!

It has been a busy 2 weeks for me, after moving from Phalaborwa Gate to Olifants as my new place of work.

I guess, now you will be able to follow all the Olifants Rest Camp activity sightings news from here!!!

Since I started here, seen White back Night Heron, a few Leopards, Lion, and lots of beautiful landscapes and little forbs and shrubs in flower!!!

More of that a bit later... :D
The only place where SUCCESS stands before WORK is in the Dictionary

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Re: OLIFANTS SIGHTINGS

Unread post by Lourens » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:31 pm

:D Olifants Guiding department consists out of:

Dennis- Senior Field Guide
Vusi- Senior Field Guide
Patrick- Junior Field Guide
Travis- Junior Field Guide
Alfred- Junior Field Guide- and who is unfortunately leaving us end of next week, took a transfer to Letaba Rest Camp. The Mountain Bike trails are chasing the guides away :)
and me as their new supervisor, hahaha

Just a reminder to all, the activities we are offering:

Walks (Morning, River and Afternoon) Minimum age 12 years Above 65 years- need a medical certificate
Mountain Bike trails (Morning and Afternoon) Minimum age 16 years Above 65 years- need a medical certificate
Drives (Morning, Sunset and Night) Minimum age 6 years

I believe the guides are very positive, and are there to fulfil your expectations, so feel free to visit Olifants Rest Camp and join any of us on activities!!! :D
Last edited by Lourens on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:51 pm

:D Since my move to Olifants, I decided to go with on activities as observer and to refresh my memories of the area. Saturday morning on the 11th of January 2014 I joined the River Walk with Patrick and Thomas (Freelance Guide) and Patrick took us to the S44 gravel road View point.

The River walks are much shorter, but still a nice experience, getting close to Hippo and the riverine environment. On the way there we seen some Zebras, Waterbuck, Impalas and Giraffes.

On the walk we found Hippo and Crocodile of course, but also some Kudus and some nice Leopard tracks. As we were driving back Thomas spotted a Leopard in one of the streams crossing the gravel road, and of course Patrick had to stop and the Leopard didn't feel very comfortable, but eventually it crossed over the road, as we turned around for the 3rd time. We also found on that same drive back to the camp both Water and Veld Monitor Lizzards.

That evening I went with Dennis on the Sunset Drive and seen all the general game on the S92 and S91 river gravel road, and made a turn at the Hyeana Den South of the Olifants High water bridge.

On Sunday morning on the walk with Vusi and Travis, the animals were a bit on the scarce side, but seen and heard lots of interesting smaller things, which should be the reason you book a walk for.

My 1st activity as a guide was a Morning Walk with Patrick from Balule pump station on the Monday 13th of ?January 2014, and I forgot how relaxed the Hyeanas are around here on foot. We also seen 2 Black Backed Jackals, Giraffes, Steenbok, Zebras and Impalas.

During the Night Drive that particular evening it started off with lighting and thunder, but soon after the wind blew the clear skies in, and seen a Mosambican Spitting Cobra, Egg Eater, a big Stick Insect crossing the road, 1 Elephant Bull, Spotted Hyeanas, Impalas, Giraffes, Hippo, Zebras and of course MANY Spring Hare. On the way back on the S92 gravel road, as we came around the 1 corner the Impala Rams were standing in the road, without knowing that the Lionness was lying to their right next to the road, busy stalking them. Unfortunately with us arriving the Impalas moved off into the bush, and she started walking up the road, with us following her for a while, where after we found some Spotted Eagle Owl and before the camp's gate a Genet up in the tree. :D

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:10 pm

:D And before we seen the Genet, Lion, we found the White Back Night Heron on the Balule Low water bridge which is not yet fixed...

The next morning on the 15th of January we went and walked at Ngotso Weir on the S89, where we found some Hippo's of course, Impalas, Zebras and Baboons. Not long after we started the walk and after leaving the Baboons playing in the Jackalberry Tree, the baboons started making their alarm call, whereafter the Lions replied. Unfortunately we walked the opposite direction of the road.

Oh ya and forgot to mention the Leopard we had seen on the way driving to the weir!!

Thursday morning was a cool cloudy morning and had some journals for the Wild Magazine on the Mountain Bikes, so look out for the story, apparently the March edition????

Even in the afternoon we took them out.

On the Friday's Morning Walk from the powerline road we heard the Hyeanas not long after we started strolling through the bush and went passed the Hyeana Den, while the young cubs were suckling, was soooo awesome to see, so not to bother them too much, we left for breakfast at a nearby pan. From the pan we found Giraffes and Impalas.

Sunday evening on the Bush Braai drive I decided to take the river loop road and luckily it was the right choice. After seeing some Impalas and more Impalas we spotted a Leopard close to another herd of Impalas with Zebras. The Impala rams were chasing each other around, and therefor the Leopard quickly lost interest in us. As the Impalas came running passed, the Leopard wanted to play with, but the Impala spotted the cat, and the Leopard knew it wasn't welcome, so made its way down to the Olifants River and we proceeded by finding more Zebra, Giraffes, a herd of Elephants.

On our back to the camp after dinner, believe it or not, but we found another Leopard and 2 great sightings of African Civet Cats and 2 Spotted Eagle Owls.

On Monday the 20th I moved all my belongings that were temporary stored at Phalaborwa to Olifants and now waiting for my final building touch up accommodation.

Tuesday the 21st we walked in the area where we found the Giraffes, herd of Elephants 2 days before on the Bush Braai drive and on the walk we found Giraffes, Zebras, Impalas and Steenbok.

Wednesday morning on the River Walk we walked at Nwamanzi view point area, and the very special sighitng we had was a Osprey.

Thursday morning in the rain storm that started building up and blew over again we did the walk at Shipembani on the S89. With the soil being wet from the early morning rain, and the Baboons waking up, we found this HUGE herd of Impalas. I estimated about 200 Impalas, but Dennis later said it is a bigger herd. Was sooooooo nice to see and hear them making their alarm calls due to us, and started running away, something which is difficult to explain in words.

That afternoon Dennis and Travis found Wild Dogs on the Afternoon Bikes!!

The 24th and 25th of January was our Birding Weekend and what an amount of new birds I learned and seen. So for the birders it is a must to join one of these Birding Weekends, which gets organised by the West Rand Honorary Rangers, we even seen a Eastern Nicator!!

And yesterday morning I left with Travis to Pretoria for my off days, and on the way he got a call, that he got the Senior Field Guide Position in Lower Sabie (Martie's previous position), so now I am loosing both my Junior Guides.... but if you visit that area, to go with Travis on an activity is a must!!!!

With my Austrian Visa application appointment behind me now, I have to concentrate the rest of my off days a bit on my studies!!!

So more to come later... :D

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”