Skip to Content

NEW Rustic bush camp in Kruger

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
Scadoxus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

NEW Rustic bush camp in Kruger

Unread post by Scadoxus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:11 pm

Imagine driving your own 4x4 or 2x4 into the bush, staying in your own camping equipment and spending 3 nights in the bush...

A Free Living Guide

Re: NEW Rustic bush camp in Kruger

Unread post by A Free Living Guide » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:58 am

Hi Scadoxus,

This new HR / SANParks offering is awesome :D
Having done a few last year I can honestly say they are a great product and I hope they will be very successful.

Spending 3 nights out camping in the MIDDLE of the Kruger bush, (but still with all the little creature comforts we pack into our buckies and off road trailers) has got to be the ultimate getaway for any outdoor enthusiast.

A bush walk in the early morning, comming back to camp for a delicious cooked up breakie of bacon and eggs and coffee… awesome.
A siester in the afternoon, relaxing, a shower, reading a book, doing some birding. Then when the sun starts falling and the heat eases off we head out for an afternoon walk or a sundowner.
Nights around the fire listening to scoops owls and lions roaring… What a winner :clap:

My next Rustic bush camp is on the 3rd April, and I can't wait for it… :roll:

Hope to see you out in the bush sometime soon.
HB
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick...

Scadoxus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Scadoxus » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:50 am

Read http://www.wildcard.co.za/blog.htm?action=view-post&id=5229&comment=37417#comment-37417 to find out what others experienced while in this camp.

List of available dates:
Last edited by Scadoxus on Mon May 11, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Free Living Guide

Unread post by A Free Living Guide » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:38 pm

We had a great Rustic bush camp this last weekend!

Weather was perfect, guests were great, hosts were gracious, food was delicious :D

Guests had an awesome elle encounter on one of the walks. We had a bull elle come to visit us as we were about to have a bush dinner one night, and a hyena came to visit the next night.

Lions roaring and hyenas calling at night, falling asleep in your tent to the beautiful call of a scoops owl…
Man, I love being out in the bush :wink:

Till our next camp :D
HB.

Scadoxus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Scadoxus » Mon May 11, 2015 8:38 pm

Camp date: 29 May to 1st of June still has place available for 2 people.

Scadoxus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Scadoxus » Mon May 11, 2015 8:40 pm

The following dates have space available for groups of 8:
12 - 15 June,
31 July - 3 August,
4 - 7 September,
6 - 9 November and 13 - 16 November 2015.

Contact bushcamps@honoraryrangers.org to book your camp for a group of 8.

A Free Living Guide

Hyena kill...

Unread post by A Free Living Guide » Tue May 12, 2015 7:18 pm

Just back from another super Rustic Bush Camp…

Boy did we have an amazing bit of luck the second morning!

We were up early before the sun, camp started stirring, tents were unzipped and the kettle was already on the gas, rusks ready and waiting for a hot cup of coffee in the pre dawn darkness.

The guests started appearing one by one, looking for some coffee and the usual questions of “So how did you sleep?” and “Did you hear any noises in the night?” were floating around the coffee cups.
One lady informed me that a hyena had walked right past her tent sometime in the night, she had seen it in the moonlight, just one meter from where she lay! Nice :wink:

As the sky was starting to lighten in the east we were getting ever closer to our departure time of 6:20am for our early morning walk, setting off just before sunrise.

Suddenly the sound of excited hyenas started filtering across the open plain next to our camp. They were not far away and their whoops, giggles, laughs and growls told us that something was defiantly going on out in the mopanis!

As the last guest arrived, ready to walk, we set off quickly and quietly across the open plain, following the hyena calls.

After a few hundred meters it became apparent they were a bit further then I had at first thought, or, they were on the move somewhere…? We kept on walking as a beautiful big red sun started to rise up through the black silhouetted tree line on our right.

We kept on following their giggles and growls, further across the open sodic sites. Now they seemed to be coming out of the mopanis more to the north… they were defiantly on the move. We left the open paths across the sodic sites and walked into the mopanis, the bush immediately closing in around us, but we were getting closer.

We stopped for a few seconds, everyone standing still, to listen for any more clues as to what was going on, and we were rewarded with the unmistakable sound of bones being crushed!

We pushed on, slowly and as quietly as we could. Suddenly I caught a glimpse of a hyenas head in front of us as she looked up from feeding. Her whole head was covered in blood as she looked around making sure no predators had been attracted by the commotion and were coming in to steal their kill… (Little did she know, we were on to her!)

At about 30meters they picked up our clumsy movements (we were a big group) and all of them started looking our way through the mopanis. I counted 6 in total, all covered in blood from their early breakfast. Once they realized what we were (THE supreme predator) they reluctantly abandoned their kill and dispersed into the mopanis. Only one big female hung around close by watching us as we stood around the meager remains of an impala ram they had just run down and killed.

Now it all made perfect sense. The reason they kept sounding so close but we couldn’t catch up to them was they were on the move, they were on a hunt! And only once they had brought down their quarry were we able to catch up to them.

6 hyenas had made short work of the impala ram in the few minutes it had taken us to catch up to them. They certainly are efficient hunters, these very misunderstood animals.

I mentioned to the other guide we should move away a bit and see if the big female who was watching us might come back and reclaim her kill. So we moved onto a termite mound about 20meters away, and sat very still and very quietly and hoped she would return.

After about 5 minutes, she did. She came in very cautiously, slowly watching and sniffing and checking us out. She was a beautiful sight to see as she stood in the long grass, the rising sun was behind her and we could see every hair in her amber main as we watched each other. Even though she was still salivating, her powerful, muscular head was a sight to behold at such close range!

Eventually she decided we were not too much of a problem and she grabbed what was left of her impala and moved off into the mopanis. Luckily she didn’t go very far, just 20 meters or so, and where she stopped we still had a lovely view of her.

Another member of the clan joined her and together they crunched their way through what was left of the feast. Then an unexpected little surprise showed up, a Side Striped Jackal! He hung around the two hyenas, hoping to find a scrap left behind somewhere, quite oblivious to us watching him.

After a few more minutes of crunching and growling at each other, the big female picked up the final scraps and walked off into the mopanis.

What an amazing sighting we had just witnessed, right before our eyes!
A glimpse into a world we never get to see…
It is times like that, that make being a trails guide one of the best jobs in the world :D

HB.

Phokojwe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Phokojwe » Wed May 13, 2015 8:54 am

What an amazing experience!!! :big_eyes:
For an authentic Wilderness experience.... Bushcamps offered by the SANParks Honorary Rangers

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark » Wed May 13, 2015 8:59 am

Wow, fantastic!!!
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

Scadoxus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Scadoxus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:03 pm

Contact bushcamps@honoraryrangers.org for more information on these camps. Dates for 2016 will be released end of September/begining of October

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:19 pm

Scadoxus, if we incorporate one of these into a Kruger trip, would we have to do two bookings (1 for camps b4 & 1 for camps after) or would SANParks know that we were staying at an HR camp and hence only require 1 reservation? They don't usually allow for a "break" in a reservation.

I realise that bookings for the HR camps would be through the HR.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:37 am

I don't know about KNP, but one year for a KTP trip, I booked two nights at!Xaus in between several nights in KTP camps. There was no problem with keeping all my KTP camps on the one reservation, with the break of two nights for !Xaus.

Also several years ago, I cancelled two nights in the middle of a KNP booking as I needed to attend an event outside the park. Again, there was no problem with keeping my remaining booking as a single reservation, with a break for those two nights outside of the park.

I'd guess that if you make a KNP booking and note that you have a separate reservation for the "missing" nights at an HR camp, there would be no problem. How do you usually book? I make my bookings by email, so would simply include the relevant information in the text of the email.

HTH

PS: I have NO idea if any of this works if you use the online booking system. I've never used that :whistle:
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:10 am

The problem with a "break" in the reservation is that you cannot then monitor it online - i.e. you can't use it to pay or make any changes. Which then means you have to email a scanned document to authorise payment or email if you want to change. Both not very satisfactory.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:37 pm

saraf wrote:The problem with a "break" in the reservation is that you cannot then monitor it online - i.e. you can't use it to pay or make any changes. Which then means you have to email a scanned document to authorise payment or email if you want to change. Both not very satisfactory.

I've never used the online booking system, don't really see that there's any advantage to being able to 'monitor' a booking on line. I use a Word SANParks CC payment form for emailing my payments and also use email if I want/need to make any changes. I find this to be entirely 'satisfactory' ... at least for me.

And from comments that I've read, I gather that making changes to an online booking can be 'challenging' :roll: -- ie, you have to first cancel your exisiting booking (or the relelvant portion of it) before you can book your desired 'changes'. I think that I'll stick to emailing my change requests, IMO far more reliable!
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

Scadoxus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Scadoxus » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi cheetahlady
You will have to book the Kruger Rustic Bush Camps through the SANParks Honorary rangers seeing that this is one of their fundraising projects. Once your booking has been paid, we will then send you the reservation confirmation letter for the specific date.
You will have two reservtion numbers: one for your bookings and one for the Rustic Camp.

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”