Skip to Content

Satara

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
TripleTail

Satara

Unread post by TripleTail » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:40 pm

We are leaving shortly for 7 days at Satara. I know the rains have not reached there yet and the area is still very barren. Has anyone been there recently? What have the sightings been like? Should we be considering changing to another camp. There are amp sites available.

Elsa

Re: Satara

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Always difficult to say what one should do, maybe keep a few days there and if you can get camp sites further down south then book those, Skukuza, Croc Bridge?

winnydpu

Unread post by winnydpu » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:04 am

Just got back from a trip that included 3 days at Satara. As of the end of November it was very dry in the area immediately around the camp. To the east it was better, and starting 20km north of camp it was nice and green. We had some rain while we were there, it may be better this week.

Even as a dry wasteland there were sightings to be had. I would keep your plans as is.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:28 am

Winnydpu, I agree with you, the roads around Timbavati Picnic spot offered wonderful sightings when I was there a week ago, although it is still dry. Maybe split it up between Satara and a camp further south?

TripleTail

Unread post by TripleTail » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Thanks for comments. Going to leave trip as is. stopping for 1 overnight at Croc Bridge on way up and then 1 overnight at Malelane on way back to Durban. Can do slow trip up and down to Satara to see the South.

leopard7

Unread post by leopard7 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:18 am

We have spent in total 7 days at Satara in November. Saw 34 lions 4 cheetahs, 1 leopard and many more game. Would go again! Enjoy - Ursula

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:38 pm

We were at Satara 2 weeks ago.
As has been said, it is very dry. There were some green patches starting to come through. But patchy and only very short grass.

Grazer (Zebra, Wildebeest & Buffalo) sightings were very spasre. A few small herds here and there trying to get some nourishment from the short grass on the road verges.
Elephant sighting were also few and far between
Had a few lion sightings. But not as many as I had expected.
Not as many giraffe in the area. But Kudu were plentiful and doing well.

With hindsight, I would have rather spent the 2 nights somewhere in the south. Lower Sabie and surrounds was quite productive for us

But with Kruger, any drive could produce some magic.
So who can say. Maybe stay with your booking.
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett

zootenval

Unread post by zootenval » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:53 pm

Don't worry...plenty to see. Just got back from 9 days in the Kruger, 4 of them up around Satara...drive slowly (under 30 kph) and you will be rewarded...we saw many Big 5 animals a couple of times around Satara, also a cheetah and secretary bird...

check out my detailed trip report from Nov 18 - 26 2016 in a separate post...
Attachments
31387622355_d016132829_o.jpg
25 Nov 715AM 7 km s of Satara on the H1-3

PHVDM

Unread post by PHVDM » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:12 am

We were at Satara 26-29 of November. Some parts were really dry and there were no animals, but then there were parts which were green and lush with an abundance of animals. The S100 rewarded us with great lion sightings even though it was very dry there. We were also surprised with the abundance of general game on the S100. The S41 was very dry and there were no animals. The S90 was much better, green grass starting to sprout and animals were starting to return to the area. The best road we found to drive was the H1-4. It was so green and lush from just before Ngotso south, to way past Olifants. There was game EVERYWHERE, and the predator sightings were great. The S89 Ngotso Weir road was also green and lush with an abundance of general game. The H7 was ok, but some parts were really dry, and sightings were poor. The H6 was terrible, we saw nothing. It is bone dry.
Satara 26-29/11

Horrace

Unread post by Horrace » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:51 am

Thank you for the update PHVDM, going to be in the area next week and glad to hear that there is some greenery around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”