Skip to Content

Info walks taken from camps.

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Bush Walk - Olifants or Berg-en-Dal?

Unread postby DotDan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:47 pm

Even though it is a great camp, I have found BnD and the immediate area to be rather quiet during the early winter months from April to June. Most of the animals congregate northwards towards the Lower Sabie and Satara grasslands.

I am with W@H, Olifants for me during that time. Great scenery and the area should be good still for game viewing. :D

rekklez

Re: Info walks taken from camps.

Unread postby rekklez » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:56 am

Hi everybody!

Me and my family are going to Kruger in a couple of weeks ( so excited haven't been in 2 years). Could anyone recommend the best place to walk? My Dad and I have walked at Satara and Berg-en-dal which were both great. This time we are staying in Satara, Lower Sabi, Skukuza, Pretoriouskop and Satara which is very exciting. Which camp would you guys recommend walking at? Also any favourite spots we should visit ( have not been in a while but know the park very well and have stayed in all camps). Thanks so much Guys.
Kruger is a place of wonder and joy, keep it that way

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:07 am

A very warm welcome to you rekklez :gflower: (love the name)

I bet you are excited with an itinerary like that.

I would recommend Lower Sabie, because of the game concentration. If you are eyeing more than one walk, next up would be Skukuza for diversity.

I have done walks in both areas when staying at a wilderness camp close by. All that I can say is, enjoy. enjoy, enjoy :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Graham_5000 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:31 am

Can a 74 year old, fit, healthy man (my dad) do a Morning Walk? Would he need a letter from his GP perhaps?

The pace of the walks I have been on is pretty slow, with lots of stopping and my dad hikes briskly for exercise mist days - in fact I reckon many a 30 year old would struggle to keep up with him!
Kruger National Park, August 2016:

1 night Shimuwini
3 nights Punda Maria
2 nights Mopani
3 nights Talamati
1 night Crocodile Bridge

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:34 am

Hi Graham

Yes, as long as he brings a letter from his doctor to say he is fit enough :thumbs_up: (Anyone over 65 needs to supply such a letter if they wish to go on walks.)

Not specifically relating to your dad, but to all who go on walks; I do not think the pace is the only issue - there are often stops to listen to the guides share info on the bush, and I have never found them to be 'cardio training sessions' - the guides are mindful of the group's comfort. I think good hearing, alertness and ability to react quickly to instructions should one (on a very outside chance) walk into a situation that needs one to react quickly is also something to be considered. For all ages who go on the walks.

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Graham_5000 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:00 am

Thanks DB, much appreciated. I will make sure he does that.

I take your point about alertness and reacting quickly - on my first ever morning in the park, three trips ago, my wife and I did the Olifants Morning Walk - we encountered a hippo in a shallow pool off the S90 (I think). After rounding a corner, we found ourselves right on top of it. Luckily it left the water hole and went away from us!

1 night Shimuwini
3 nights Punda Maria
2 nights Mopani
3 nights Talamati
1 night Crocodile Bridge

nancybsimmons

Best clothing for Wilderness Trail and Mornng Walks in August

Unread postby nancybsimmons » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:01 pm

I know that neutral colored clothing (brown, khaki, etc) is necessary for the walks, which means that my whole family is going to need new outerwear for our trip. But what I am nit sure about is exactly what we will need for August temperatures in Kruger. Fleece jackets or something heavier? Patagonia down sweaters or jackets? I am not sure what we'll need. How cold are mornings in August?
Nancy

August 2016
Kruger: Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Bushmans Wilderness Trail, Satara, Olifants, Punda Maria
Kgalagadi: Urikaruus, Kalahari Tented Camp, Nossob, Bitterpan
Also Mapungubwe, Marakele, Augrabies Falls, Mokala, and Golden Gate NPs

Dan

Unread postby Dan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Hi Nancy and welcome. August tends to be bit nippy in the mornings. What i would suggest is that that you layer you're clothes rather than wear one heavy jacket. Full sleeve shirt with a light jersey and light jacket over that. As you get warmer when youre a while into the walk you can take it of. A word of advice, take a light backpack for water and binos and such as well as the clothes you take of. Dont wear polarfleece, you'll have a difficult time cleaning of all the seeds etc. when you get back to camp. :slap: :wall: A jean like material works the best. :thumbs_up:

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Best clothing for Wilderness Trail and Mornng Walks in August

Unread postby Graham_5000 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:25 pm

nancybsimmons wrote:
Graham_5000 wrote:
I have done two walks in August. By the end of the walk I was in a T-shirt, but I started with a fleece on. The walk starts with a drive to an isolated area. You will need to be prepared for serious wind chill on this drive as the vehicle is open. A scarf and a wooly hat would do wonders, and my wife swears by ear muffs! On the drive back after the walk, you will probably not need any more than a fleece on the vehicle, as the sun will have been up a couple of hours or so.

Thanks! That's just what I need to know.

Now, about colors.... is a dark blue jacket acceptable on a Walk? My husband has a wind shell and a fleece that are both that color. I know I will have to find a substitute for my more brightly-colored gear, but does he need earth-tone replacements too?

Dark navy will be fine. I personally have several green and brown T-shirts and fleeces, but I have noticed that most people wear any colour on walks. I have seen bright yellow and pink! You could always buy some SANParks branded clothing in one of the camp shops, but I wouldn't worry too much about it other than by avoiding really garish colours!

1 night Shimuwini
3 nights Punda Maria
2 nights Mopani
3 nights Talamati
1 night Crocodile Bridge

Dan

Unread postby Dan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:07 pm

Quite correct. You dont need to dress like a Navy seal team on a mission. Its glamorous but unnesasary. Any dark colours wil do. Do all my walks with jeans. If you got camoes or khaki, its fine. But not nesasary to go out of your way to go and buy it. :thumbs_up:

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”