Skip to Content

Lower Sabie Sightings

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
schraibz1

Re: Lower Sabie Sightings

Unread postby schraibz1 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:27 am

Hi Guys :)
really appreciate the kind words from all of you :)

I am gonna post a few more pics
I would also like to ask Gabz to please post some for her pics as they are also magnificent

Most of the pictures that i have posted have been taken with in the last 6 months around LS area :)

Taken on the S28 could not get past for 45 min

Taken at the corner of S28 and main road near LS :) just after the bridge

I cant wait to go back to the bush.......... i dream of it everyday .

Craig
CRAIG

Born normal or so im told. Then the bush got me and so The madness got better

gabihotz

Unread postby gabihotz » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:02 am

this black rhino was seen close to sunset dam back in 2009

this male cheetah was seen in april 2010, along with another male on the s28. we searched for them for 5 days and eventually found them in the pouring rain. these 2 males have been living on the s28 for years now and are seen frequently.

my favourite bird

this male lion was seen on gomodwane loop along with his pride of 22. his leg seemed to be quite badly injured.

these were all seen around the lower sabie area
''I feel like I'm nothing without wildlife. They are the stars. I feel awkward without them." --Bindi Irwin

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." -- Mark Twain

RIAAN H

Unread postby RIAAN H » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:21 pm

great pics!!! let me also share a pic of a leopard i took on gomondwane loop in may 2011.
i had it all to myself for more than 30mins!

RIAAN H

Unread postby RIAAN H » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:15 pm

cheetah mom seen close to duke waterhole on 18/06/2011

and her cubs! :dance: :dance:

more to follow..

bighest

Unread postby bighest » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi Guys, new to the forum, I love wildlife photography and want to post some of my recent sightings in the lower sabie area.
sunset dam
The four males often seen by lower sabie
A young male leopard teasing a Rhino by the concrete bridge
I think the same Leopard the next day on a rock near the entrance of the s28

Hope you guys enjoy will post more later :)

bighest

Unread postby bighest » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi guys
here's a few more pics:)

Big male lion on Marula loop

One of the 6 male lion coalition by crocodile bridge *different from the 4 males by Lower sabie

Traffic jam 3 km outside Crocodile bridge

Giant eagle owl on night drive S28

Rhino investigated a buffalo Carcass killed by 2 male lion sleeping in the distance, on
S36Image
One of the males who killed the buff

Wild dogs on S65

Taxi driver, tar road to from Skukuza to L.S

Female leopard on tar road few km out of Skukuza

Hope you guys enjoy and I appreciate the kind words on the previous pics. :thumbs_up:

gabihotz

Unread postby gabihotz » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:39 pm

hi all,

was having a bit of trouble with tiny pic, but as promised here are pics from my july trip.
pictures from august trip will follow.

10 minutes before gate closing time, we found the mother leopard and her rather big son on the low water bridge. What a sighting!!

my Father was photographing a Bourchells Coucal, when in the distance i spotted this beautiful female on the H10. 10km from LS, she walked right up to us and then crossed the road.

found this mom feeding her 3 tiny pups, 1km from skukuza toward kruger gate.

our first picture of a honey badger on the H10

Mom and her baby sitting on the mound by sunset dam, the baby could have kept us entertained for hours.

sunset dam and its beautiful birdlife.

lions lazing around

first time experience for me, a honey badger feeding off an impala carcass that was abandoned by a leopard on S1.

Gabi
''I feel like I'm nothing without wildlife. They are the stars. I feel awkward without them." --Bindi Irwin

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." -- Mark Twain

bighest

Unread postby bighest » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:55 pm

A two night stay @ L.S. It was all about birds and 1 leopard.

Anja Barnard

Unread postby Anja Barnard » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi there,

Would like to share an awesome, very unexpected, Lower Sabie moment with you.

We were there this passed weekend. Me and my cousin left the men and her baby at home for a short girls weekend. Friday night after struggling with the braai for quite some time :doh: (only because it was rainy ) :whistle: :roll: , we decided to have an amarula coffee at the deck at about 10:30. This was obviously our own made coffee since there was no light, no people no nothing at the deck. The whole camp seemed to be asleep already except for us, with our spotlight. Arriving there, was a few waterbuck, laying basically between the deck and the river and some buffalo, about 100 meter down (bridge side) between the fence and the river. It was very peaceful and we eventually decided to go to bed. As we were about to leave, I shined the spotlight one more time. It was then when we noticed the 3 male lions very close behind the buffalo. We immediately switched off the light, not wanting to give the lions away.

Suddenly all hell broke loose with the waterbuck scattering and the lions jumping onto one of the buffalo. They did not manage to hold on and chased the buffalo passed the deck towards the safari tents' side. We were obviously now running like crazy people trying to follow on that wooden "paadjie'. The lions turned back moving towards the deck. We knew that some waterbuck stayed behind and ran in the opposite direction. We went back to the deck and switched the spotlight off when we saw a waterbuck cow close to the fence, right next to the deck (bungalows' side of deck). We could clearly see the lions in the moonlight now circling the waterbuck. Eventually we could not see any lions and waited. But then the waterbuck suddenly ran through underneath the deck, in the direction of the tents. One lion did try to chase but backed off quickly. Now there were no "food-animals" left, ... except for us. :big_eyes: :shock: :shock: :D

The lions went and lay down between the deck and the river (close to the river). We eventually could not keep our eyes open any more and the rain started pouring heavily after a while. When the rain broke, we went back to our bungalow. 5:30 the next morning , we were back, but no sign of any lion.

Unfortunately, nothing happened with no kill. But it was certainly an event that would stay with me forever. We drive 100's of kilometers through the park, and then witness something like that from camp.

We saw the same 3 lions on the night drive the next evening (Saturday) at the bridge going over the Sabie (H10) heading in the camp's direction again. After the drive we obviously went to the deck again, but no luck.

Hope that they will be around when we are back at Lower Sabie in two weeks' time :dance: :dance:

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread postby MJ » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Dear Friends and Family,

The cold winter mornings have sneaked up to us lately and warm jerseys and jackets is the first thing out of the closet in the mornings. With the winter comes the better sightings and less rain, but just before winter we had a quick shower this weekend but let me not run my story…

On Thursday morning just after the walk I went on a journey to Skukuza…when leaving the gate a leopard on the sunset dam side approaching the gate. Some of our staff was working inside the camp at the gate when she got a fright and moved back to sunset dam. Then a sudden 180 degree turn and back she came to the gate. With all the attention she decided to move back to the dam and around the camp. That evening when my sunset drive was about to leave a notice came that there was a leopard in front of the restaurant so my 20 guest evacuated the vehicle to see her. Unfortunately she moved along the fence to Keartland. My whole idea was to come back and go over the bridge, maybe she is playing there at 19h30.

On the Power line I got a very awesome surprise and when that Black rhino crossed the road 2 km in front of us I had no choice of increasing my speed just a little, I just knew this was my lucky day. As bad luck leopards are so much of good luck is black rhino. When we got there he was a bit nervous and he walked zigzag through the bushes away from us. Well at least the people saw it! As I was busy talking he slowly return to the vehicle and then moved away again. This happened more and more, he would listen for some time, come closer and then leave. At one stage I asked the guest on the left to just move in if he comes closer than 5 meters. The last time he came so close that a sudden jump up gave him such a fright that he ran off and never came back. A beautiful black rhino specimen and one I will not forget any time soon.

On our way back as I was about to cross the river at the 50 m sign after the crossing towards camp were 2 porcupine busy doing their thing (mating and all) I approached. These two were so busy they did not know what I spotted about 3 m from them, the leopard from the camp was there on her knees begging them please not to move so that she could get supper. Unfortunately for the leopard they stopped and moved across the road and into the bushes. This was Amazing for us to see both in one picture. The next morning after the walk she was there again, but the most beautiful leopard in the sunlight but then again, leopards are still bad luck, because on Friday evening when I went out to go look for misses bright spots, the clouds opened up above us and the whole vehicle's water on my lap.

Sunday evening was the first of lions for this week and just the sound of them in the background even made my heart stop a bit. You sometimes with the sky so bright and the stars so light miss things that you haven’t missed in a long time because of our busy lives. Small things like seeing the smile of a friend far away, but on the stars we wish for them and see everything on a late night drive except the leopard.

Happy Easter to you all and I have not forgotten about you all!!
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread postby MJ » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Good evening to you all,

I’m so glad to say that the long weekend is almost finished. It has been quite disappointing how many people think Kruger rules are there to be broken and they can do just as they like, but on the lighter note, when all the rule breakers are in camp sleeping we have brilliant sightings.

Friday night we had a bush braai for five, started off very quiet but a beautiful pink, orange and yellow sunset with the full moon rising in between the colours like an artist’s paintbrush on a piece of paper. On arrival at the Bush Braai we evacuated 10 minutes after to go and look for the two hairy long canined men calling in the back ground. We found the two male lions about 1, 5 km from the bush braai site and then back to the food. As our stomachs got fuller they got closer and full moon and a lion roar is something you won’t forget any time soon. After a great meal and atmosphere we had to go back, but less than 700 metres from the site the two gentleman were cuddling in the long grass, the one ended up sitting on the other one’s head.

As guest we get our quiet nights too. The fourth of the fourth was one of those nights where you missed everything by split seconds. Last night on the sunset drive I missed luckily nothing but spotted a beautiful female leopard. Sneaky as leopards can only be she sneaked out of the road and into the long grass and then the rolling and licking and pamper as only girls can do. Then she vanished again into the bushes. The Mativihlungu leopard female has disappeared for a while but I’m glad to say she is still around only 3 km south from her famous spot. Tonight was the highlight of the week for drives, drove and drove and drove and a little more until I found Mr Glass eye and his young girlfriend doing their thing in the romantic moon. We waited and waited but not too long and then the lion and his lioness did the most romantic thing in the moonlight. Growling and complaining but in a few months’ time this pride will not only consist of eleven lions but hopefully 15.

So I eventually got to my actual story….last night I went to bed with a feeling of Ntandanyati in my bones. I woke up for the walk and straight to the bone feeling. Talking of bones the chill in the mornings go to one place only…bones. On my arrival at Ntandanyati I had to move my feeling spot somewhere else, because a pride of lions consisting of three males, three females and five cubs were fast asleep on the spot where I needed to park. Some sleeping a little more than the others, meaning the youngsters were not really sleeping at all and running all over the place. As the red ball of a sun pushed his head over those Lebombo Mountains, one female gave a call and of they all ran into the thickets. Due to the fact that men don’t normally take command of women, they slept on and I moved a little south. Had a brilliant walk but for so long I was tracking these cubs on foot, saw the tracks, saw the dads, but never saw them. Luckily now I know they are safe and as cute as can be.
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread postby MJ » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:13 pm

On arrival back from a long holiday From Lower Sabie to Langebaan and back, I started off fairly good. On my trip to the Cape I’ve seen some of our other National Parks and realised once again that Kruger is just one of the many diamonds this country have. In Karoo National Park, I have seen the biggest puffadder ever and mating to make more big scaly creatures. In West Coast National Park, I realised that there is a place with nicer landscapes and in Agulhas National Park what silence is all about, but when I drove through those gates yesterday afternoon…there is just one place like home.

The H4-2 or better known as the N4 to Komatie just elephants and due to the fact that rutting season has started and lots of crazy impala males are running all over the roads trying to kill themselves for girls (wish human men were like that), you can find impalas around every corner. About 5 km from camp a spotted one in the big brown ivory tree next to the road, I did not see it but the traffic jam did. After driving for 7 hours, sitting in a traffic jam to see one spot of a leopard was not my cup of tea. At the bridge or causeway as some people prefer to it, a lion nicely on the sandbank enjoying the view of a herd of impala coming down to drink. At Sunset dam a buffalo or two and my least favourite baboon troop running around the dam like only South Africans can do on a hot summer day, fishing and having fun.

I arrived at work 15 minutes earlier as usual and just the smell and sounds fascinated me. The leopard roared the whole night in front of my house (wish she will go away – it is bad bad bad luck). On arrival at the walking area while Robert was still doing his introduction a leopard crossed the path I was standing on about 10 m in front of me. I was so shocked I couldn’t get it out to tell Robert. I was more amazed than the first day I saw a leopard. On the walk a huge elephant herd that eventually ended up moving away and we were stuck with two old bulls and their disgusting eat behaviour. The One a little closer than planned and then a nice cold drive back to camp.

Looking forward to another great bushbraai on friday.
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread postby MJ » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Dear Friends,

This week was a fantastic week with some brilliant sightings all over the place. The longer I have been in Lower Sabie the more I realize that you on the right time at the right place or you not. On Wednesday morning it was the right time when a big male lion on the walk came stalking us through the long grass. It is one thing to see a lion, but if it is crouched down and moving through the grass like a ghost through town it just makes your heart go boom.

Anees Akbar wrote a poem about Nature. The first few lines go like this: Nature is mighty, Nature is strong, and Nature is usually always right, Nature is rarely ever wrong. Nature is beauty, Nature is moody, Nature is smart, and nature always has the greater part.

Every night leaving the camp you realise what he said is perfect. The famous baboon troop of Lower Sabie was there, Martie is doing a bush braai and they were there to entertain and open the grand show of last night. A lot of new birds are to be seen at the river on the sand banks. The night got dark sooner than planned and before we even knew it we had serval on the road and what a good sighting. At supper we had to chew faster than usual and every time I had one piece of salad leave in my mouth the rhino family and their domestic fight became part of our supper. They ran up and down next to us and the sounds were out of this world. Later on a black rhino made himself welcome and puffing and blowing he left. Stomachs full and on the move we found a miracle creature about 50 meters from the supper table. An Aardvark ran into a tree and out into the open so that we at last can have a brilliant sighting on one of these little ugly creatures. On arrival back at camp still on the edge of our seats, old beauty was sleeping in the street and later this big crocodile moved back to the water and the algae became a blanket around her as she vanished into the water.

What a brilliant night with brilliant people.
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread postby MJ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Good afternoon Friends,

This weekend was a fabulous leopard weekend, although my first sighting got messed up by 50 cars on the duke road and everyone parking against the flow and out of their cars, hanging out of their sunroofs like flowers in a pot!!

The south was brilliant the last few days for everyone except me, so this morning on the morning drive waiting in front of the gate to leave my eyes were not brown but white with big black question marks! The truck for some reason did not wanted to go east but west it did go. From sunset dam to the 4 km mark was nothing much just two dagga boys chilling out next to the road and then the sudden break for leopard number one! The rest of the morning was extremely long with birds, birds and more birds and then as we reached Lubye Lubye things changed again, with a nice leopard at the 2 km mark!! She played hide and seek and played games with the cars. Went to the causeway at the H10 and at the ranger's house another leopard crossed the road!! I must add I would never had said this in my life but that was just too much leopard for one day...just think of all the bad luck!!

Have a great summer day especially the guys from Cape Town!!
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread postby MJ » Thu May 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Good day all,

Well the camp is very very quiet or so it feels now that the looong weekend has past. This daybreak I woke up very sleepy because for the last week we did not wake up early as usual. While sitting at the office and watching the day break because the two guests that was supposed to show up, didn’t, I realised how fortunate we are to live in such a peaceful place. Whilst doing some admin duties the two guests ran in and then I realised something was wrong with either their timing or their overslept. The second option was the right one.

As we left the camp the orange ball of fire lifted her head over the camp and there was this red glow over the peaceful camp. The Sabie River had a misty reddish colour with the sun reflecting on it and somewhere in the back of your head you feel as if you part of a painting, painted by a dreamer that wished for the peace in his back room in a busy city of pollution and dust. As we lifted the Toyotas nose to reach the north the three kings of our country was resting those big paws and made ready for their long sleep in the warm sun of today to come. These three lions crawled into my heart because of the one’s behaviour. He got this look in his eyes that he is looking at you, and you only, without turning his head, he is just looking into your eyes and then a surprising wink just before he looks away. It is almost as if he is flirting with your eyes and then just look away as if nothing happened, as a lover you once had and when you see him again there is no feelings at all.

When we arrived at the walking area, it was a splendid warm mid-summer morning in the middle of autumn with absolutely no dew on the grass just dust. The impala’s snort with the thousands of birds in the background makes your heart go soft although you have to be as tough as a lioness with two cubs behind you in a battle with a clang of hyena and not like old boots, because old boots break and guides are not allowed to break at all. The walk itself was fairly quiet just a black back jackal and zebra. Later in the walk five old elephant bulls appeared over the Lebombo Mountains and came into sight.

Breakfast was great in the Mlondozi stream, on our way back me and the guest changed from humans to ostriches with feathers in our hair and then off back to camp. Another hot day like today will be death to the plants before winter.
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”