Skip to Content

Sweni trail

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
sharky74

Re: Sweni trail

Unread post by sharky74 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:31 am

Hi all,

I'm doing my first Wilderness Trail in mid November (13-16), the Sweni Trail! I've been fortunate to have been to Kruger before, but my two friends have never been so should be a an amazing experience to show them the real bush.

I know it's likely to be quite hot that time of year, but was wondering more about the likelihood of heavy rain. Is mid November usually a very wet period, just hoping we don't rained out and cancelled. Does that happen often, or not much too worry about?

A little bit of rain to green things up, and start the Impala calving would be so good! And especially excited to hear the roar of lions in the night again, and hopefully get lucky enough to track them on foot :D

Anyone whose done the Sweni Trail in November, very keen to hear any feedback

Cheers,

Sharky
I may not be from Africa, but since my first visit a part of me always remains there. Can’t wait for the next trip, which will be the 10th

sharky74

Unread post by sharky74 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:18 am

Hi,

I was lucky enough to do this awesome trail in November last year, and it was truly amazing. The sheer solitude of not seeing ANY other cars or guest for 3 days, whilst walking 5-6 hours a day through the bush can't be beat. I can't wait to go again. Our two guides Rhulani and Obert were excellent, and we shared a lot of laughs in between learning so much from these two. The highlights were many, and I'll put a link to a video I made of the trip below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSPMoZxIivg

But just a couple were encountering 3 fully grown male lions on foot, numerous elephants close on foot, a beautiful large male leopard (from the vehicle), sundowners at some truly spectacular locations and of course listening to lions roar at night just a stones throw away :-)

Amazing trail, beautiful settings, lots of animals, whats not to love?!
I may not be from Africa, but since my first visit a part of me always remains there. Can’t wait for the next trip, which will be the 10th

sharky74

Unread post by sharky74 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:33 am

And oh yeah nearly forgot. If you go on the Sweni trail, remember to lift your feet at dinner ;-) We had a very curious and bold little scorpion join us every night under the dinner table! I love snakes and scorpions so it was very cool, lol.

Have to also say that it was fantastic to walk a different type of area each day. We walked the plains, an along a creek on day 1, while day 2 was along a river that ended at the foot of some beautiful escarpment country. Loved the variety, and the variety of animals it brought.

On a slightly sour note, we did see one elephant on foot that had clearly been snared around the trunk :-( Luckily it had got rid of the snare, but the cut all the way around the trunk was quite deep and pretty horrible to see. But as he'd got rid of the snare, hopefully it healed up in time.

Was really keen to get back to Kruger this year as I'm spending two weeks in SA shortly. But left my booking to late, and EVERYTHING is booked at. Lesson learned for next time, book very early.

Phokojwe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Phokojwe » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:58 pm

Superb video sharky74! Thanks for sharing.
Looks amazing, definitely something on my list of wilderness trails.
For an authentic Wilderness experience.... Bushcamps offered by the SANParks Honorary Rangers

Frizzle

Unread post by Frizzle » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Fantastic video - well done! Really enjoyed it - I'm gonna watch this each time I experience a pang of nostalgia for the bush :-)
April 2015: Garden route, Addo and Karoo

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Elsa wrote:Thanks for sharing your fantastic video Sharky74! :clap:
What a wonderful experience with some amazing sightings. 8)

Sharky, I have just watched your video :D

You have an amazing gift :dance: :dance:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

sharky74

Unread post by sharky74 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback folks, really glad you enjoyed the video. I certainly enjoyed walking in Kruger to get the footage :D I'm hoping to spend 3 weeks self driving myself through Kruger in February or March, and will definitely put another video together.

sharky74

Unread post by sharky74 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Love the Sweni trail, did it in November last year. Feeling nostalgic so thought I’d share a few pics of what is an awesome experience.
Sundowners at Sweni dam are pretty special
Imagesweni waterhole by b_ranford74, on Flickr

Another great sundowner spot, overlooking the Sweni plains from the Lebombo range. Enjoyed best with Amarula and lots of ice :thumbs_up:
Imagelookout by b_ranford74, on Flickr

The only cheetah I’ve been lucky to see in Kruger. Saw these 3 of the drive out of the camp, not a bad end to an amazing trail.
Imagecheetah by b_ranford74, on Flickr

Nasty wound for this zebra, although it seemed to be feeding ok.
Imagezebra wound in focus by b_ranford74, on Flickr

Hope you can make it to Sweni one day, awesome trail and I’m already dreaming of the next time.

Sharky

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks for more great pics Sharky!
Ouch! poor zebbie, looks like it had a close encounter.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Phokojwe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Phokojwe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:49 am

Great pics sharky74!

Definitely on my bucket list.
For an authentic Wilderness experience.... Bushcamps offered by the SANParks Honorary Rangers

Travelislife

Ice making facilities on Sweni Trail

Unread post by Travelislife » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:51 pm

On the SANP site it states that there are limited refrigeration facilities in the Sweni Trail camp. I am trying to find out if this means there is a freezer (to make ice) in the bush camp or is it just a gas fridge. Please can someone who has done the trail help with advice.

lysdexia

Unread post by lysdexia » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:11 pm

Sweni related question.

On the final day of the trail what time (approximately) do you get back to Satara? I'm trying to plan my onward journey.

Cheers,

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:20 am

lysdexia, I cannot answer your question. I am sure that somebody will.

I would just like to welcome you to the forum :gflower: and say that I love your name. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

lysdexia

Unread post by lysdexia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:43 am

Hi MM,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm a bit of a forum voyeur of sorts. I've been lurking around for a few years but I'm a first time poster.

Cheers,
Lys

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:55 am

Lys, a warm welcome to the posting side and I hope this now means the post flood gates have opened :D

We are trying to source the info for you.
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”