Skip to Content

Nyalaland Wilderness Trail

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
heritagearts

Re: Nyalaland Wilderness Trail

Unread post by heritagearts » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:14 pm

We enjoyed the Nyalaland Wilderness Trail Oct 13-16 2013. IT WAS FABULOUS!!!!.
It is the newest location for the temporary camp and not far from Punda Maria.
The camp is beautiful.
It sits on the banks of the Luvuvhu River and has a stunning view.
The facilities were well set up, the tents were comfortable, well apart from each other and the facilities were clean and totally acceptable.
I would tell you all the good things about it but it would ruin the excitement for you.
David and Steven (from Olifants) were our guides.
They made our experience one of the best times we have had at KP.
I would highly recommend this trail. Have fun!

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Imberbe » Sat May 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Nyalaland awarded Trails Camp of the year at the KNP awards.

Wilderness Trails Camp of the Year went to Nyalaland

Total SA’s Pansy Mekwa, Nxanatseni Regional Activities Coordinator - Tshepo Mathebula and KNP Managing Executive - Glenn Phillips.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

redwingstarling

Unread post by redwingstarling » Mon May 23, 2016 8:02 am

Did this trail a few weeks back and I must say that the "new" fly camp on the Luvuvhu River is absolutely stunning. I believe there is some competition for this spot because it's also earmarked for a 4x4 trail. My vote is to keep it for the hikers. I can see why they won wilderness trail of the year and a big thanks to guides :thumbs_up: Christopher and David who are top notch. Here are a couple of pics (you can see more at my blog as well http://www.redwingstarling.co.za/2016/0 ... aland.html)
DSC_0196.jpg
Attachments
DSC_0233.jpg

redwingstarling

Unread post by redwingstarling » Mon May 23, 2016 5:14 pm

Meandering Mouse wrote:Thank you for this feedback. :thumbs_up:

A colleague has booked the trail for August and has been rather reluctant to go ahead due to the drought. It looks as though I can give her a thumbs up.

Totally. They had some late rain so the veld was surprisingly green, although bird life was rather quiet. The trees in this area are just spectacular so it's really for the true nature lover. We saw some buffalo and other game but it's the joy of being in the bush and that wonderful view that does it.

Catriona

Unread post by Catriona » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi Everyone, although I'm not actually new to the forum, it is quite a few years since I've asked any questions or been to South Africa, so I feel new! My sister and I are planning to come to South Africa next August with some of our 'children' and I would love to do this wilderness trail with my two boys (who will be 13 and 17) and my niece (who will be 15). Unfortunately my nephew will only be 11 (and 9 months!) so not quite old enough to do the trail so my sister will stay with him at Punda Maria.

What I wanted to know is a logistical question - what time of day would we be likely to get back on the last day of the trail? I know it says that departure will be after a light breakfast but I have no idea how long the journey from the trail base to Punda Maria is. I'm trying to work out an itinerary and am wondering where I will be able to reach that same day. Also I don't know what time I should ask my sister to come to meet us at the end. I am very aware that my sister and nephew will have just spent three days in the area whilst we are having a lovely time walking in the wilderness so don't want to make them hang around. Also, because we are a bit late booking, the accommodation is a little more limited so it's slightly less easy to plan.

Would really appreciate your input!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:31 pm

From what I have heard and read, I would say you return to camp at around 9am but lets hear from those who have actually done this trail to confirm this.
Enjoy the trail and experience! :thumbs_up:

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”