Latest update on the Kruger National Park flood damage
03 May 2013
Changes to previous update:
The opening of the S21 (Nwatimhiri Road) in southern Marula (02 May 2013).
- Balule - Access via Balule Causeway still closed. Use S89 & S90.
- Berg- en- Dal
- Crocodile Bridge
- Lower Sabie
- Punda Maria
- Sable Dam Hide
- Shipindane Hide
- Shingwedzi - Camp and Day Visitors area out of bounds for public. Camping to be reopened by 15 June 2013, B-circle units (EH3, BD2, BD2Z & BG2) gradually reopened by end of June 2013 and remainder of camp open by 31 August 2013.
- Sirheni - Severely flooded - 5 units open by 26 April 2013 and remaining 10 units by 31 May 2013.
Picnic Spots / Viewpoints:
- Afsaal - Open
- Albasini Ruins - Open
- Babalala - Open
- Bobbejaan Krans - Open (Orpen to Satara road breached at S24.404923 E31.549712)
- Crooks Corner - Closed (Major flood damage and inaccessible)
- Eileen Orpen Memorial - Open
- Gardenia Hide - Open
- Kanniedood Hide - Closed (Inaccessible)
- Lake Panic Hide - Open
- Makhadzi - Open
- Masorini - Open
- Matambeni Hide - Open
- Mathekeyane - Open
- Mlondozi - Open
- Mooiplaas - Open
- Muzandzeni - Open
- Nhlanguleni - Open
- Nkuhlu - Open
- Nkumbe - Open
- Nthandanyathi Hide - Open
- Nwamanzi - Open
- Nwanetsi - Open
- Nyawutsi Hide - Closed (Roads closed)
- Olifants River on S44 - Open
- Orpen Dam - Open (Accessible from H10 only Tshokwane Lower Sabie tar road)
- Pafuri Picnic Spot - Closed (Major flood damage and inaccessible). Scheduled to reopen 31 May 2013.
- Paul Kruger Tablets - Open
- Pioneer Hide - Open
- Rabelais Museum - Open
- Ratel Pan Hide - Open
- Redrocks - Open
- Sable Dam - Open
- Shibyatsangela - Closed (Roads closed)
- Shipandani Hide - Open
- Stevenson-Hamilton Memorial - Open
- Sweni Hide - Open
- Timbavati - Open
- Tshanga - Open
- Tshokwane - Open
Access Roads Inside the Park:
All tarred roads except the following, are open:
- H1-1 (Skukuza to Pretoriuskop) breach near Transport Dam (Temporary crossing is available)
- S63 (Pafuri Port of Entry Road) (Port of Entry flooded and closed).
- H7 (Orpen to Satara) major breach at S24.404923 E31.549712 (S106 to be used as alternative by light vehicles (under 4 tons) only).
All gravel roads open, except:
- S3 (Albasini Road) (Open from S1 to H1-1; closed from H11 to S1)
- S32 (Orpen Dam Loop) (Only open from H10 to Orpen Dam)
- S33 (Vutomi Road)
- S34 (Munywini Road)
- S50 (Shawu Road)(Open from south to S143 turnoff)
- S57 (Sirheni Road)
- S63 (Luvuvhu Road)
- S90 (Old Main Road) (Open from south until S89 turnoff – Balule causeway still inaccessible)
- S134 (Shingwedzi Round Road)
- S135 (Shingwedzi Causeway Loop)
- Crocodile Bridge
- Giriyondo - 4x4 vehicles only
- Orpen (Orpen to Satara Road (H7) breached at S24.404923 E31.549712. Alternative available (S106 15 km gravel) light vehicles (under 4 tons) only.)
- Punda Maria
- Pafuri Port of Entry - Severe flooding. Possibly reopened by 30 June 2013
Please keep in mind that, due to heavy rainfall, the status of roads can change without notice. Guests are urged to take special caution when travelling in heavy rain and not to cross submerged roads or flooded causeways and bridges.
Guest are hereby notified that opening or travelling on a road that has been closed constitutes an offence and such offenders can be fined.
Guests are kindly urged to use water sparingly as camps/ gates and picnic spots in many areas operate on emergency pumps and boreholes with limited capacity.
Media enquiries: Reynold Thakhuli 073 373 4999 / Ike Phaahla 083 673 6974