Update on the heavy rains experienced in Mapungubwe
- The rain has stopped.
- All the camps are closed.
- R572 from Musina to Mapungubwe is closed due to the bridge at Weipe that collapsed.
- The R572 to Pont drift / The town of Alldays is accessible by normal 2x4 vehicle.
- All the roads in the park are still closed except the main road from the main gate to treetop.
- All staff members are safe and no injuries have been reported in the park.
- Most tourist facilities are still underwater, eg. Interpretative Centre , Tshugulu Lodge, Limpopo Forest Tented Camp, Mazhou, Treetop, Malountswa Pan Hide.
- The Electricity has been restored.
- Telephone lines are now working.
- Some animals have died.
- All 4x4 roads are closed.
- The park is open to day visitors with 4x4 vehicles to limited areas.
- The clean-up operations has started.
- The camps will be open to the public on Saturday (26 January 2013).
- The park is full of water everywhere.
- The Limpopo river is still full to capacity.
- Staff accommodation affected are Limpopo Forest Tented Camp, Rhodes Drift, Schroda, Samaria Farm are still under water.
- Staff members at Samaria Farm have lost all their personal belongings and the road to the farm will not be accessible by road at least for days to come.
- All staff members will receive counselling as many are visibly traumatized.
- The following roads are closed: * Schroda, All river roads, all 4X4 roads, Denstaat road, Tshugulu road, The road to the tented camp and Samaria road.
Browse accommodation and activities availability, and book online via our secure payment system and get 5% discount (excludes activities)
Get unlimited access to most of Southern Africa’s premier conservation areas.
Membership is valid from date of purchase for 365 days and is available for an individual, couple or family, as well as international guests. Learn more...
- "turned off" water holes
Posted by: jacquiandphil on 28th July 2016
- Satara Cam 28/07/2016
Posted by: lion queen on 28th July 2016
- Fuel strike
Posted by: Nicolette on 28th July 2016