TMNP: Make the most of the mountains these holidays
13 December 2011
How to make the most of your visit:
- Take a hike, but don’t go on your own. Walk in a group of at least 4 people and walk at the speed of the slowest person.
- Take plenty water with you – and remember your dogs! Many people forget to bring extra water for their 4-legged friends when taking a walk in the mountains.
- Wear sun-block, a hat and bring a light, all-weather jacket with you – in Cape Town, you can never be sure how many seasons you’ll get in a day.
- Programme the TMNP emergency phone number (0861 106 417) onto your cell phone and make sure someone at home knows where you are.
- Use this number if you see suspicious individuals on the mountain, if you get stuck, lost or injured – rangers are there to help you.
- Plan your hike wisely so that you don’t come down the mountain in the dark. Remember that the Cable Car may stop running due to bad weather – so take this into account when planning.
- Don’t throw your cigarette butts out of your car window – Cape Town summers are often dry and windy – and it takes just one spark to start a devastating fire – to animals, plants and neighbouring communities.
- Please do not feed any baboons you may encounter – they are wild animals and can become dangerous. If you see a problematic baboon – call the Baboon Hotline on 071 588 6540.
- Keep a watchful eye when out in the sun for our shy and slinky citizens – the Cape Cobra (like our cricket team) likes to show off in the sun, whilst her friend, the Puff Adder, is often on night shift.
- Remember to enjoy the park the way she is meant to be enjoyed – but please, take nothing but photographs, and leave nothing but footprints.
Things to look forward to in 2012
There are exciting new developments for Table Mountain National Park in 2012. These plans include the re-surfacing of the badly pot-holed TMNP section of Tokai Road (for which we ask you to bear with us during the process).
You may have also noticed the new braai facilities being installed at the Tokai Braai Site. A baboon-proof perimeter fence is also on its way and should be completed in 2012.
TMNP also looks forward to moving its Westlake head office to the Tokai Manor Precinct by March of next year as part of the plans to convert the precinct into a multi-purpose gateway into the Park.
Office Hours and Gate Times over the holidays
The Table Mountain National Park Westlake office will be closed from 23 December to 3 January. Due to capacity constraints – there may be delays or temporary gate closures at popular tourist spots such as Boulders and Cape Point on the more popular holidays (such as 26 December and New Years Day) – please be prepared in case of such closures and keep an eye on our Facebook Fan Page (SANParks – Table Mountain National Park) where we’ll keep you informed of any closures.
We wish all visitors a happy, safe and festive visit over the holidays.
Issued by / Media Queries:
Wanika Rusthoi, Public Relations Officer: Cape Region*, South African National Parks, tel: (021) 701 8692, cell: 072 060 8188, e-mail: Wanika.email@example.com *Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa, West Coast