Park Planning & Development
In 1999 Dr Knight, Head of the Inland Scientific Services office in Kimberley, opened a satellite office at the then University of Port Elizabeth, to give dedicated attention to the growing World Bank funded greater Addo programme.
This was unique in conservation circles in that the office was closely linked to an academic institution. In 2002, Dr Knight established the Park Planning & Development Unit, to give greater scientific emphasis to this important aspect of SANParks business. The team has grown from its initial three staff members to a current compliment of seven permanent and six contract workers, with skills in conservation planning, marine conservation, project management, park management efficiency and administration.
- Integrate planning initiatives throughout SANParks to provide a coordinated planning framework.
- Park management plan design, review and assessment.
- Park system design: expansion and establishment in both terrestrial and marine conservation.
- Conservation planning
- Internal spatial development
- The GEF funded (through World Bank) greater Addo Elephant National Park Project;
- The GEF funded (through World Bank) Garden Route Initiative;
- The FFEM (French GEF) funded compliment to the greater Addo Elephant National Park Project.
- There are various individuals that make up the team of the Park Planning and Development section.
- Includes postal and physical address as well as directions to the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) Southern Campus.
- Major role in the National Protected Areas Expansion Strategy.
- Major role in the CI funded Conservation Assessment of the Maputoland, Pondoland, Albany Hotspot.
Browse accommodation and activities availability, and book online via our secure payment system and get 5% discount (excludes activities)
- Join KNP Birthday Celebrations by sharing what the park means to you
Posted by: DinkyBird on 31st May 2016
- THE DROUGHT WITHIN THE CAMPS
Posted by: Madalla on 31st May 2016
- Karoo lion finds a new home at Addo
Posted by: Lesego on 31st May 2016