Skip to Content

Media Release: SANParks fully operational despite strike action

28 July 2017

South African National Parks (SANParks) management today confirmed that services at all their parks have not been affected by the strike action of some of their employees. The employees are members of the Health and Other Service Personnel Trade Union of South Africa (HOSPERSA). They officially begun their strike on the 25th July 2017 after a dispute with SANParks over salary increases.   

SANParks Head of Communications Janine Raftopoulos, said guests should continue with their plans to visit the parks as contingency plans around the strike have been activated. “All our Parks including Table Mountain and Kruger National Park are open for business and there are no disruptions. We expect HOSPERSA members to adhere to the picketing rules and to respect the right of non-striking employees” said Raftopoulos.

SANParks earlier revised its offer to 6.1 percent plus 1 percent pay progression to qualifying employees, which totals to 7.1 percent. In addition, a once-off ex-gratia payment of 0.4 percent on the basic salary will be paid to all employees. Those who do not qualify for pay progression will be paid 1 percent once-off.

National Health Education & Allied Workers Union (NEHAWU) has formally accepted the offer made by SANParks and their members remain at their posts.    

For Bookings and updates, guests can visit the SANParks Website; www.sanparks.org alternatively guests can call our central reservations number: 012 428 9111. 

Follow us on Twitter @SANParks 
Like Us on Facebook: South African National Parks
Follow us on Instagram @sanparks

Talk to us directly by joining the parks e-forum: www.sanparks.org/forum/

Issued by:
South African National Parks (SANParks) Corporate Communications
Tel: 012 426 5170 

Media enquiries:
Janine Raftopoulos
SANParks Head of Communications
Tel: 012 426 5170, cell: 071 444 3121
Email: janine.raftopoulos@sanparks.org

Reynold “Rey T” Thakhuli
General Manager: Media, PR & Stakeholder Relations
Tel: 012 426 5170, Mobile: 073 373 4999
Email: rey.thakhuli@sanparks.org   

Ike Phaahla
SANParks Media Specialist
Tel: 012 426 5315, Mobile 083 673 6974
Email: Isaac.phaahla@sanparks.org                                                            

Editorial fact sheet: 
SANParks Employees: 4089
HOSPERSA Members: 2136
Striking Employees per Park
Marakele National Park: 12
Table Mountain National Park: 4 
Wilderness – 21
Tsitsikama National Park – 24 
Camdeboo National Park – 16 
Addo National Park – 42
Kruger National Park – 91
Groenkloof – 50

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Google+

Return to News

View Archive

Online Bookings

Browse accommodation and activities availability, and book online via our secure payment system and get 5% discount (excludes activities)

Register

Get a Wild Card!

One year's unlimited entry to 80+ National Parks, Reserves and Resorts around Southern Africa. Membership is valid from date of purchase for 365 days and is available for an individual, couple or family, as well as international guests. Read more...

Purchase Membership

Join our Forums

Connect with over 30,000 members in our popular forums.

Register

Webcams

Webcams