What to do this Holiday around TMNP
05 December 2013
Tips to enjoy a safe and happy holiday:
- Take a hike, but don’t go on your own. Walk in a group of at least 4 people at the speed of the slowest person. You can walk along the newly restoration trail within Tokai Park, along Orpen road, where you will get a view of over 1000 different plant species.
- Take plenty water with you – and remember your dogs! Many people forget to bring extra water for their 4-legged friends when taking a walk in the mountains. Please remember also to bring along poo bags – this will keep the trails clean for all mountain users.
- For a great Christmas present idea – why not buy a loved one a Level 1 My Activity Permit Multi-User dog-walking permit – the multi-user permit is a special package that has been designed to permit more than one person to walk a family’s dog, at discounted rates. More information about this can be found at http://www.sanparks.org/parks/table_mountain/tourism/access-cards-permits.php.
- Visiting the picnic and braai sights this holiday? Remember to keep the area clean from liter.
Wear sun-block, a hat and bring a light, all-weather jacket with you – in Cape Town, you can never be sure how many seasons you’ll get in a day.
- Programme the TMNP emergency phone number (0861 106 417) onto your cell phone and make sure someone at home knows where you are. Use this number if you see suspicious individuals on the mountain, if you get stuck, lost or injured – rangers are there to help you.
- Don’t throw your cigarette butts out of your car window – Cape Town summers are often dry and windy – and it takes just one spark to start a devastating fire – to animals, plants and neighbouring communities.
Please do not feed any baboons you may encounter – they are wild animals and can
- become dangerous. If you see a problematic baboon – call the Baboon Hotline on 071 588 6540.
- Keep a watchful eye when out in the sun for our shy and slinky citizens – the Cape Cobra (like our cricket team) likes to show off in the sun, whilst her friend, the Puff Adder, is often on night shift.
- Remember to enjoy the park the way she is meant to be enjoyed – but please, take nothing but photographs, and leave nothing but footprints.
Table Mountain Aerial Cableway
The Table Mountain Cableway launched their ½ price Sunset Special on 1 November. The promotion runs until 20 December and again from 6 January to 28 February 2014. Please note that these dates exclude 21 December – 5 January 2014. For more information on the specials run by the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway during the festive season, visit www.tablemountain.net or call 021 424 0015
Cape Point is celebrating summer by offering locals and visitors to Cape Town the chance to win irresistible prizes every day for four weeks.
The Countdown to Summer campaign kicks off on Monday 18 November and runs until Friday 13 December 2013. Keep your eyes glued to Cape Point’s social media platforms [Facebook, Twitter and Instagram] to see how you could win amazing daily prizes such as romantic meals for two and overnight stays surrounded by nature.
For more information, visit www.capepoint.co.za or call (021) 780 9010/11. Follow Cape Point on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/CapePointSA, Twitter @CapePointSA, and Instagram @CapePointSA
Important Gate Times and Closures
Due to capacity constraints there may be delays or temporary gate closures at popular tourist spots such as Boulders and Cape Point.
Office Hours during the holidays
The Tokai Wild Card Sales Office will close at 13h00 on the 24th Of December and reopen at 8:00am on the 30th of December 2013. The Wild Card office will commence normal working days from Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 16:00pm.
Please note that My Activity Permits and My Green Cards can be purchased from Cape Town Tourism Visitor Centres in addition to the Tokai Wild Card Sales Office. Some of these offices will be open over the public holidays in season and can be contacted on (0)21 762 0687. Note that a My Green Card may not be renewed prior to the expiry date as exhibited on the card. Wild Cards can be renewed online on www.wildcard.co.za.
Share your Journey with us
Keep an eye out on our Facebook Page (SANParks – Table Mountain National Park) or twitter handle @TableMountainNP where we’ll keep you informed of any closures. If you Instagram, be sure to tag @SAN_Parks – we’d love to share your images.
We wish all visitors a happy, safe and festive visit over the holidays.
Public Relations Intern
South African National Parks
021 712 2337
Regional Communications Manager
South African National Parks
021 689 4441