Latest update on the Kruger National Park floods
Kruger National Park (KNP) flood update as at 19:00 on 26 January 2013
Berg- en- Dal, Biyamiti, Crocodile Bridge, Letaba, Lower Sabie , Malelane, Mopani (via Letaba only), Olifants, Orpen, Pretoriuskop, Punda Maria (only accessible from Punda Maria Gate – no internal access from KNP), Satara & Skukuza.
Bateleur (flooded & access),Balule (services), Boulders (access), Maroela (access), Roodewal (access), Shimuwini (partially flooded & access), Shingwedzi (major flood damage), Shipindane Hide (access), Sirheni, Sable Dam Hide, Talamati (partially flooded & access), Tamboti (fencing & access) & Tsendze.
Picnic Spots / Viewpoints:
- Afsaal - Open
- Albasini Ruins - Open
- Babalala - Closed (access)
- Bobbejaan Krans - Open
- Crooks Corner - Closed
- Eileen Orpen Memorial - Open
- Gardenia Hide - Closed
- Kanniedood Hide - Closed
- Lake Panic Birdhide - Closed (access)
- Makhadzi - Closed (access & flooded)
- Masorini - Open
- Matambeni Hide - Closed
- Mathekeyane - Open
- Mlondozi - Open
- Mooiplaas - Open
- Muzandzeni - Closed (flooded & access)
- Nhlanguleni - Closed (access)
- Nkuhlu - Open
- Nkumbe - Open
- Nthandanyathi Hide - Closed
- Nwamanzi - Open
- Nwanetsi - Open
- Nyawutsi Hide - Closed
- Olifants River viewpoint on S44 - Closed
- Orpen Dam - Closed
- Pafuri Picnic Spot - Closed (flooded & access)
- Paul Kruger Tablets - Open
- Pioneer Hide - Closed
- Rabelais Museum - Open
- Ratel Pan Hide - Closed
- Redrocks - Closed
- Sable Dam - Closed
- Shibyatsangela - Closed
- Stevenson-Hamilton Memorial - Closed
- Sweni Hide - Closed
- Timbavati - Closed (access)
- Tshanga - Closed
- Tshokwane - Closed (services)
Access Roads Inside the Park:
All tarred roads except the following, are open:
- Skukuza to Pretoriuskop (H1-1) breach at Transport Dam.
- Olifants River causeway at Balule is still closed.
- Causeways over Sabie and Sand Rivers between Skukuza and Tshokwane (H1-2) still overflowing and closed. Guests to use alternative via H4-1 and H12.
- Orpen to Satara (H7) breach over Phelwani River. S106 to be used as alternative.
- Shingwedzi Camp and Day Visitor Site is not accessible to the public.
- Shingwedzi to Punda Maria/Pafuri (H1-7) (Shingwedzi & Nkulumbeni bridges and water over road in various other areas).
- Phalaborwa Gate to Mopani (H14)(Tsendze causeway).
- Tshokwane to Lower Sabie has been reopened (causeway over Sabie River below camp has been cleared).
- All gravel roads are closed except, S3 (Numbi Gate to Phabeni Gate), S23 (Biyamiti Loop), S25, S26 (Bume Road), S112, S113, S139, S114 (south of Biyamiti Weir).
- Crocodile Bridge
- Orpen (only Orpen Camp can be accessed – not into the rest of Kruger)
- Punda Maria (only Punda Maria Camp can be accessed – not into the rest of Kruger)
- Giriyondo Border Post (4x4 vehicles only)
- Pafuri Border Facility
Guests are kindly urged to use water sparingly as camps/ gates and picnic spots in many areas operate on emergency pumps and boreholes with limited capacity.
Media enquiries: Reynold Thakhuli 073 373 4999 / Gabrielle Venter 082 696 4724
Tourist Enquiries: Lucy Nhlapo 082 908 4753/ Joep Stevens 082 802 8093
Browse accommodation and activities availability, and book online via our secure payment system and get 5% discount (excludes activities)
Get unlimited access to most of Southern Africa’s premier conservation areas.
Membership is valid from date of purchase for 365 days and is available for an individual, couple or family, as well as international guests. Learn more...
- Addo Cam 27/07/2016
Posted by: ritad on 27th July 2016
- Mokala Oxpecker Birding Weekend
Posted by: SHR PR & Media on 27th July 2016
- REGIONAL RANGER WOUNDED BY BUFFALO IN THE KNP
Posted by: DinkyBird on 27th July 2016