Media Release: Temporary closure of bush camps and roads in the north of KNP
16 January 2013
“We took the decision to close Bush Camps so that we do not compromise the safety of our guests. On behalf of management, we apologise to all the guests for the inconvenience that might occur as results of this temporary closure” said the KNP Managing Executive, Mr Abe Sibiya.
The Bush Camps and roads which are currently closed are as follows:
- Shisha Low Level Bridge (S57) leading to Sirheni Bush Camp currently flooding.
- Shimuwini Low Level Bridge (S141) leading Shimuwini Bush Camp.
- Bateleur is also closed due to waterlogged road leading to the bush camp.
- Nyala Drive going to Thulamela.
- S-63 loop from the T-Junction to Crook’s corner
- Shongololo loop going to Shipandane Hide and Boulders
- Nkulumbeni Bridge (H1-7) between Shingwedzi and Punda Maria - guest are advised to use Phalaborwa - Letaba
- Mopani-Phalaborwa road (H14) – guest are advised to use Phalaborwa- Letaba
Data lines at most of the rest camps in the north are affected.
The Road and Maintenance team is currently monitoring the situation to provide guests with alternative roads. More roads might be closed as it is still raining. All the roads which are closed are marked with “No Entry” signs or blocked with other objects. Motorists are urged not to use those roads and to drive with caution” commented Sibiya.
Guests visiting the Kruger National Park, can view the latest information regarding state of the roads at the following gates in the north:
SANParks Media Specialist
Tel: 013 735 4300; cell: 0836736974