Media Release: Escape to the outdoors this Festive Season
The Festive Season is upon us – the sun is out, the Cape Doctor has arrived – and with Table Mountain officially inaugurated as a New 7 Wonder of Nature, it’s the perfect excuse to escape to the outdoors these holidays! Here are some helpful tips to help you enjoy Table Mountain National Park during the Festive Season:
How to make the most of your visit:
- Don’t just drive around our beautiful city – get out of your car and take a walk. There are plenty light walks in the Silvermine and Cape of Good Hope sections of the park. And the designated paths offer far better sights and sounds!
- Take a hike, but don’t walk on your own. Walk in a group of at least 4 people and let the slowest person determine your speed.
- Plan your hike wisely so that you don’t descend the mountain in the dark. If you intend to come down via the Table Mountain Cableway, remember that they may stop running due to bad weather – so take this into account when planning.
- Make sure you take plenty water with you – and please remember your four-legged friends! Many people forget to bring extra water for their dogs when walking in the mountains.
- Wear sun-block, a hat and bring a light, all-weather jacket with you – in Cape Town, you can never be sure how many seasons you’ll get in a day.
- Keep a watchful eye when out in the sun for our shy and slinky citizens – the Cape Cobra likes to show off in the sun, whilst her friend, the Puff Adder, is less visible and is often on night shift.
- Programme the TMNP emergency phone number (0861 106 417) onto your cell phone and make sure someone at home knows where you are. Use this number if you see suspicious individuals on the mountain, if you get stuck, lost or injured – rangers are there to help you.
- Please do not feed any baboons you may encounter – they are wild animals and can become dangerous. If you see a problematic baboon – call the Baboon Hotline on 071 588 6540.
- Don’t throw your cigarette butts out of your car window – Cape Town summers are dry and windy – and it takes just one spark to start a devastating fire – to animals, plants and neighbouring communities. Report any fires you see to the Newlands Dispatch Centre on 021 689 7438/9 or the Emergency Number 0861 106 417.
- Remember to enjoy the park the way she is meant to be enjoyed – but please, take nothing but photographs, and leave nothing but footprints.
Office Hours and Gate Times over the holidays:
The Table Mountain National Park Tokai Manor office will be closed from 21 December at 11h00 and will reopen on 7 January 2013. The Tokai Tourism Sales Office will only be closed on weekends and public holidays as well as 24 December 2012. For My Green Cards and My Activity Permits, please make use of the Cape Town Tourism Visitor Information Centres located across the peninsula.
Due to capacity constraints – there may be delays or temporary gate closures at popular tourist spots such as Boulders and Cape Point on the more popular holidays (such as 26 December and New Years Day) – please be prepared in case of such closures and keep an eye on our Facebook Fan Page (SANParks – Table Mountain National Park) and follow us on Twitter @TableMountainNP where we’ll keep you informed of any closures.
We wish all visitors a happy, safe and festive visit over the holidays.
Public Relations Officer: Cape Region*
South African National Parks
021 701 8692 / 072 060 8188
Browse accommodation and activities availability, and book online via our secure payment system and get 5% discount (excludes activities)
Get unlimited access to most of Southern Africa’s premier conservation areas.
Membership is valid from date of purchase for 365 days and is available for an individual, couple or family, as well as international guests. Learn more...
- Military truck overturns at Crocodile River low level bridge in the Kruger National Park
Posted by: Lesego on 27th September 2016
- Fun filled Penguin Festival for African Penguin Awareness Day in Table Mountain National Park
Posted by: MATTHYS on 27th September 2016
- Addo Cam 27/09/2016
Posted by: Dibles on 27th September 2016