Celebrating 10 years
Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) officially celebrated its 10th birthday (of People Centered Biodiversity and Cultural Heritage Management) on 14 August 2008, highlighting the major milestones achieved since the Park was proclaimed 10 years ago.
- Ecosystem restoration:
- through land acquisition,
- alien clearing,
- fire management and
- path building.
- Delivery of social benefits through the Park’s poverty relief programme:
- Enabled the Park to use over R40 million worth of funds from DEAT Social Responsibility Programme to upgrade 250km of the footpath network,
- build “touch the earth lightly” tourist accommodation, and
- provide training opportunities to previously unemployed people.
- The TMNP has set itself the goal of being the world’s premier urban Park by 2010.
- Sharing resources by partnering with the other conservation agencies in order to achieve common goals.
- To consolidate Cape Town’s rich conservation capital will be to link the TMNP and Robben Island – both World Heritage Sites – in a formal partnership.
For more information:
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?
View and download maps.
Hoerikwaggo Tented Camps
Did You Know?
Min: 11°C / Max: 19°C
Hot & Useful Links
- Video: Table Mountain's journey to New7Wonder of Nature inauguration
- Valuation of Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Company's Cableway Assets
- Tokai Manor Precinct Plan: Final Report
- Activity EMP
- TMNP Safety Information
- Junior Rangers 2015 application form
- CDF 2006-11 Reports
- Commercial Operators in TMNP