- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Namaqua National Park
If you would like to make bookings or view availability for Golden Gate Hotel and Chalets, please click on the 'Make Reservation' button.
You can find more information on the booking process by clicking on 'More Info'.
Skilpad Flower Report for the week 1-7 September 2008
The Namaqua National Park (Skilpad) had 27mm of rain over the past weekend. There is no definite impact report that this would help the flowers over the long term, but it may at least extend the season for another week.
The Skilpad daisies (‘glansogies’) are still holding on and is worth a visit. The Gazanias are coming into their own after the rains, with bright orange and red patches along the roads, while the yellow ‘gansogies’ are becoming prominent. The rains will definitely also assist the succulents such as vygies. This is particularly evident in the Springbok and surrounding areas. The coastal areas, in particular, have spots of very nice vygies.
Most roads took a hammering after the recent rains, but can still be driven with normal sedan vehicles. There is a warning of slippery conditions over today and tomorrow.
The recommended roads in the Namaqua National Park area are:
- the Skilpad circle route,
- the Soebatsfontein road from Kamieskroon town to Grootvlei and
- if you know the road, the unmarked coastal road from Spoeg River to Groen River (strictly 4x4 only).
Further afield the Steinkopf-Springbok road, Goegab and the general Springbok area seem to have a nice variety of flowers. The Springbok-Pofadder road has some beautiful vygie patches, as well as some clumps of daisies. There may be some other nice routes, so do explore.