- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Marakele National Park
You can find more information on the booking process by clicking on 'More Info'.
- No driving at night is allowed in the Park.
- As outdoor lighting in camps is limited, a torch/headlamp is required when walking outside at night.
- No collection of firewood.
- You will be warned at reception about roads that are inaccessible in the Park. Should you drive on these roads and get stuck we will contact a towing company for you and you will be charged for recovery expenses.
- Fines will be given if you drive off the roads.
- Your vehicle can be searched at exit points.
- Be aware of BABOONS and VERVET MONKEYS. Keep your tents closed when driving around and lock food in the tent’s cupboard. You may even turn the fridge slightly so that the door does not open easily. Don’t let anything lie around.
- Please do not feed the animals. Vervet Monkeys will soon become habituated to this and create serious problems in the future.
- You are not allowed to get out of your vehicle, except at places indicated to you on the map, by the receptionist.
- No pets are allowed in the Park.
- A general speed limit of 30 km/h must be maintained within the Park’s boundaries.
- Firearms must be declared at reception.
- You have to vacate the tent at 10:00 on the day of departure.
- The key for the gates must be returned to reception on the day of departure. Alternatively you can leave the key at the points indicated to you by the receptionist.
- Please keep your entrance permit with you while driving in the Park.
- No fishing is allowed in the dam.
**If you have a problem with the interpretation of the rules, please enquire at reception.**
Check-in and Check-out times
- Check in 14:00
- Check out 10:00
- Reception opens 07:00 and closes at 18:00 from 1st Sept to 30th April
- Reception opens 07:00 and closes at 17:30 from 1st May to 31st August
Entrance from 07:00 to 16:00. No need to book in advance. Currently there is no limit on number of people per day. 4x4 routes as well as routes for sedan vehicles are open to day visitors.
- No visitors are allowed at the back of open vehicles.
- Your vehicle can be searched at exit points.
- No collecting of firewood.
- Day visitors have certain areas and roads where they can drive. You will be warned at reception about roads that are inaccessible in the Park. Should you drive on these roads and get stuck we will contact a towing company for you and you will be charged for recovery expenses.
- Fines can be given should you drive off the roads.
- People are not allowed to get out of their vehicles, except at places shown on the map by the receptionist.
- No pets are allowed in the park
- Firearms must be declared at reception
- A general speed limit of 30 km/h must be maintained within the park’s boundaries.
- Office hours are from 07:00 in the morning until 16:00 in the afternoon.
- The gates close at 18:00 in summer time and at 17:30 in winter. If you are still inside the Park after the gates have closed you can be given a fine.
- Tour operators must be licensed with FGASA and SATOUR to operate in National Parks. A proper game-drive vehicle will be required.
- Tour operators will pay a set entrance price – check details with park. Tour operators must be registered with the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism (DEAT) and be in possession of a valid Deat membership card as proof.
**Should you be uncertain as to the interpretation of a rule, please enquire at reception.**
Summers are hot but the area does not suffer from the stifling humidity so typical of the eastern Lowveld. The park is situated in the summer rainfall region and rainfall occurs in the form of heavy thunderstorms or soft rain. Winter is moderate with frost occurring in the low-lying regions only. Mornings and nights can be cold, but day temperatures are pleasant. Rainfall between 500 – 700mm per annum.
- To ensure a safe and joyful trip through our parks, kindly adhere to the Rules and Regulations as stipulated by South African National Parks.
- The use of drones inside (and over) our national parks is strictly prohibited.
Hints & Tips
- Remember to bring a camera, binoculars, bird and wildlife reference books, a hat and sunscreen lotion. Also remember to take along medicines such as anti-histamine and lotion for insect stings and bites.
- Cool clothing for summer and warm for winter - the region is subject to sudden changes in weather, particularly in the mountains.
- Remember charcoal or wood, as this is not available in the park.
- Visitors should also remember to take a torch along, as the camp has no illumination between units at night.
- The safari camp has not been fenced and therefore visitors to Marakele are warned to stay within the confines of the tent and deck area. Walking outside the confines of the camp will put you at risk of dangerous game and negatively affect the experience of other visitors.
- Pets are not permitted in a national park.
- Vehicle fuel is available in all parks (or is available on the park periphery) - South African legislation stipulates that fuel stations will accept legitimate petrol/fuel/garage/credit/debit cards or cash as a form of payment for any fuel purchase.
- Firearms must be declared at the entrance gate.
- No open vehicles are allowed. Passengers on the back of an open vehicle are also not allowed.
- Medical, pharmaceutical, vehicle repair, fuel, post office and police at Thabazimbi.
For enquiries e-mail Marakele National Park or phone us on the following numbers:
- Park Tel: +27 (014) 777 6928 / 29 / 30 / 31
- Fax: +27 (0)86 650 3051
- Duty Manager: Mirriam Rapoo
Cell: 072 613 8054
Have a question? Why not ask at the forums?
9°C / 31°C
Sunny with high level clouds